The Slytherin Dungeons

Did you like how the author concluded the series with Harry's story line? The Deathly Hallows? The Horcruxes? Did you find it too confusing? Were there any parts you didn't quite understand?

10 scales if posted by Sunday, 16th May, 23:59 HOL time.
5 scales if posted after that but before Monday, 31st May, 23:59 HOL time

I don't really remember much but reading the last pages, and closing the book with a happy sigh.  It was good.

If there were unanswered questions at that time, I feel they have been answered here and there, and so I don't remember anything sticking out as unresolved.

I liked how it ended for Harry.  I liked how it ended for the Deathly Hallows.  I don't remember the horcruxes getting destroyed so I'm not sure.  It wasn't confusing.  No, it all made sense.

I felt like the epilogue was very disconnected from the rest of the story (OOC : never mind that I actually read the epilogue before any other part of the series!).  I understand wanting to show Harry as having a happy life after beating Voldemort, but it seems all two-dimensional.  Worse, it underscores a point that in the writing of Rowling, adults are only defined by their relationships to people who are currently student-aged. 

As for the end of Chapter 36:  It absolutely makes sense for Harry to want his old wand back (that's the one that chose him and was truly connected to him) instead of using one associated with the baggage of the Elder Wand, even if Harry tacitly assumes that he will never be defeated in combat again... but that's a level of confidence/courage that makes sense for him anyway!  It still feels like there's a huge gap between "I've had enough trouble for a lifetime" and two of his three kids reaching Hogwarts age...

I honestly don't remember reading the epilogue for the first time (I must only have been around 11) but I 'think' I was pretty satisfied with how it all wrapped up. I think I was subconsciously more moved by the fact that this huge adventure that had consumed my life and that of my school friends was finally coming to an end. As Tarma said, I can't remember anything that was left unresolved that hasn't since been tied up for those who want it to be, so no real complaints there.

As an adult, I think I'd have preferred to finish up slightly after the battle, possibly with a nice peaceful character moment between Harry, Ron and Hermione. It would have been a more bittersweet and hopeful ending than the very tidy epilogue.

There is one fact about the epilogue that I love though. For the movies, they decided to underscore it with the same piece (Leaving Hogwarts) that John Williams composed for the end of the first film. It's my absolute favourite part of any Harry Potter soundtrack so I love that it's there, even though artistically it doesn't fit with the rest of the 8th movie's score.

(Speaking of huge things coming to an end, I can't believe we've reached the end of Read Along! It's been so much fun these last few years. I'm going to miss it so much.)

Edited by Prof. Sky Alton

I agree with Sky. I would have liked an ending with the trio and the three of them talking. I personally could have skipped seeing the offspring. It somehow didn't seem to fit the rest of the story.

I'll miss the Read Along, too. It was the idea of BJ Johnson, who took it to Maxwell Shadow. I had just returned, and Max asked if I wanted to help. Absolutely! This was the first activity I helped run on HOL. 

I think the series concluded nicely. I know that when my mom finished the books, she had a little confusion about the Hallows and horcruxes and how it all shook out, but I think I was able to distance myself from reality enough that the pieces made sense where they fell together. It's not necessarily easy for me to explain to others, but in my head it all works out and makes sense, which to me seems like a brilliant spot for such an epic series to end. Like others, I don't think the epilogue was absolutely necessary, as it ties things up perhaps a little too nicely, but I don't have that many problems with it.