The Slytherin Dungeons

James Sirius, Albus Severus, Lily Luna

Why do you think there's so much dislike over the names Harry and Ginny gave their children? What do you think was the author's intention? Do you like the names?

10 scales if posted by Sunday, 16th May, 23:59 HOL time.
5 scales if posted after that but before Monday, 31st May, 23:59 HOL time

I didn't know there was a lot of dislike over the names chosen for the kids!

I've no idea of why JK Rowling gave them those names.

They seem fine to me.  Besides, so often a given name is sort of cast in the shade by the person, and they will acquire a new name, or nickname, more fitting to them.

Some people did not like those characters.   I think the author's intent was to make people like those characters.  I like the names.  They are very cute.

I think everyone assumed that there would be a son named James and a daughter named Lily.  It's really Albus Severus that gets the most criticism (to be honest, I have more of a problem with the Albus part!)   I remember criticism on "why are all the names about people important to Harry and not to Ginny?" and even "why didn't Ginny get to name a son after his dead brother Fred?"   The second of those is clearer to me:  for Harry and Ginny to name one of their kids Fred would take the thunder away from George doing the same!  

I think if you're going to pick characters to honour in any context you're going to get criticism from people who didn't like those characters or thought another deserved it more, so the backlash doesn't really surprise me. It always felt to me like J. K. was trying to fit as many crucial characters in as she could into the names so the epilogue was a proper emotional sucker punch.

On the whole, I'm ambivalent about the names. They're nice enough. They do seem a little heavy handed and on-the-nose (which might be another reason other people struggled with them). I think I'd have preferred the kids to get a first name that 'belongs' to them and a middle name that honours someone. I quite liked that Fleur and Bill named their daughter Victoire to celebrate victory at the battle of Hogwarts because it was understated while being meaningful.

I think people were hoping to see some new names rather than ones we've seen in all the books. Although it makes sense for people to name their children after those who have influenced them, I was a little surprised that Ginny would agree to those names. As the youngest of seven, I'd imagine that allowing her own children to forge their on identities would be at the top of the list. She also seemed like someone who would get creative with names, since she rarely went by her actual given name.

I remember years ago how so many people really didn't like Snape, and one argument against the choice of at least one name was "Snape never cared about Harry! He should have chosen someone who did." I remember thinking..."Hmmm...Albus Filius? Albus Horace? Albus Dobby? Dobby Hedwig?" :lol: He seemed to be looking for names of people who had no offspring to honor them.

I must admit, I am a bit partial to Dobby Hedwig, but I'm not sure how it work on a human child.

I am late to the party, so I don't have too much to add, but I don't have any particular issues with the names. I think, like some have mentioned, maybe just having one name honor someone (e.g. the middle name), and letting the child have a unique first name could be helpful in ensuring Harry and Ginny's children continue to blaze their own paths despite being the children of such heroes. I think for the most part the people they chose to honor make sense, though if I was Ginny I would have pushed back a bit on Albus Severus for similar reasons as those that have been mentioned here.