The Slytherin Dungeons

“I’ve had enough trouble for a lifetime.”

This sentence of Harry's has always intrigued me. Do you think he continued with his plans to become an Auror, or do you think he would have chosen a different career path?

10 scales if posted by Sunday, 9nd May, 23:59 HOL time.
5 scales if posted after that but before Monday, 31st May, 23:59 HOL time

I think he probably changed his career because he probably might have played Quidditch.

I think he is referring to 'trouble' that is associated with Voldemort and 'Death Eaters', not to 'trouble' in general. So I think he would probably continue to want to be an Auror, or in someway involved with 'law enforcement' of a magical kind.

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

I think it's sort of wistful and rueful. Because right now he feels like he's had enough trouble to last a lifetime but he probably knows deep down that there will always be trouble and he'll always feel drawn to help. So it always felt more like a 'I'm going to take a well earned rest and then I'll just have to see what else life has in store' sort of statement. I've definitely said similar things after accomplishing huge tasks ('remind me never to do that again' seems to be my go-to) and then I'm right back to it shortly afterwards because that's just how life (and indeed my character) works.

I think Sky worded it very nicely. Harry is finally finished dealing with the prophecy and foe that have shaped his entire life since he was barely a year old. I'd say that sure qualifies as enough trouble for a lifetime. However, I do think Harry has a desire to help protect others (and his love for everyone who had fought for him was what allowed them to continue breaking free from Voldemort's curses), that if something were to happen, he would likely get involved in some way. At least if anything did happen in the future, he would likely be less entrenched in it the way he was with Voldemort (via blood, wandlore, and souls).

I think Harry probably meant exactly what he said, but after a break, he'd jump into Auror training with no hesitation. Some people are meant to fight for others, and enjoy the challenge, and I think Harry is one of them.