The Slytherin Dungeons

Were you surprised that few people seemed to know about how the Grey Lady stole her mother's diadem, and how she died at the hands of the Bloody Baron?

10  scales if posted by  Sunday, 4th April, 23:59 HOL time.
5 scales if posted after that but before Friday, 30th April,  23:59 HOL time

Actually, no. I imagine that Rowena Ravenclaw knew, and maybe the other founders knew, but I rather doubt that they would have spread the information to others of Hogwarts. When the Bloody Baron and The Grey Lady became the House ghosts, I imagine there was some wondering about who they were, and how they died, but I think there were not many who knew, and the information never was passed down (except maybe from Headmaster (Headmistress) to Headmistress (Headmaster).

I was not surprised because the Grey Lady probably didn't want to share that she stole her mother's diadem because if her mother's friends heard, they would probably tell on her.  She probably didn't want to share that she died at the hands of the Bloody Baron because it was personal.

The Grey Lady, or better yet, Helena Ravenclaw, had stolen her mothers diadem out of jealousy and in my opinion not hatred, but a strong dislike towards her mother. When the diadem went missing, Rowena Ravenclaw probably had a feeling that her daughter had been involved but did not voice this to her friends. Maybe in her heart she did not want to believe her daughter could do that. So that was definitely kept under wraps, however the fact that the  Bloody Baron was the sole reason for Helena's death isn't really touched upon nor brought to light due to the nature of the death. So I don' find it weird that not a lot of people know this.

From hearing her story, and from the little we knew before about both her and the Bloody Baron, I wasn't surprised that the information the Grey Lady shared with Harry wasn't shared more widely. Helena Ravenclaw herself said that her mother pretended she still had the diadem, so it is unlikely that anyone besides Helena and the Bloody Baron truly knew what had happened regarding how they both died. While they did both return to the castle, I have a feeling that neither was likely to share their cause of death with anyone curious. The Bloody Baron, though heavily remorseful, is particularly taciturn, and Helena was even less likely to say anything (except of course, to Tom Riddle). 

I am actually a bit surprised. I didn’t know the backstory but the thought of stealing something from your mum is a bit ...off for me. I don’t understand it, regardless of what was the reason behind her action. She probably did a lot to hide it so no one will know but I always thought everyone knows everything in Hogwarts, e.g when Harry was in his first year, everyone knew he’s going to come to Hogwarts and everyone knew him.

Edited by Harry Walles

I was surprised everyone didn't know, to be honest. Sure, it's been centuries and information is often lost to time, but....for one thing, the Diadem is famous. For another, the story of the Bloody Baron, who is the House Ghost of Slytherin, murdering Helena Ravenclaw, who is the House Ghost of Ravenclaw as well as the daughter of Rowena Ravenclaw, as a crime of passion, plus, both ghosts are currently floating around Hogwarts with visible wounds....well, I think that story is going to get out, and once it's out, it's so dramatic, it's going to be repeated. And repeated. And repeated. 

There's an old saying: "Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead." Since the dead in this case are floating around Hogwarts with clearly visible wounds, I'm not sure it applies in this case. People will talk 😁

I wasn't really surprised or unsurprised. I can imagine Rowena Ravenclaw making efforts to make sure her daughters name wasn't dragged through the mud and perhaps by the time her influence faded, nobody was interested enough to go digging for the story. Helena (due to guilt over her theft and the very personal trauma of her death) and the baron (due to remorse and shame) weren't going to tell anyone; I'm guessing lots of people had their own theories about the bloody barons crimes and perhaps those theories became accepted 'fact' over the years, meaning that nobody thought to look for an alternative explanation. I can't imagine many people had the courage to ask him outright.