The Slytherin Dungeons

And Percy was shaking his brother, and Ron was kneeling beside them, and Fred’s eyes stared without seeing, the ghost of his last laugh still etched upon his face.

Crabbe died from a curse he himself had cast but couldn't control, and Fred died while laughing at a joke. What did you make of their manner of deaths?

10  scales if posted by  Sunday, 4th April, 23:59 HOL time.
5 scales if posted after that but before Friday, 30th April,  23:59 HOL time

I thought it was ok that Crabbe died because he wasn't that nice.  I was sad about Fred though.  I thought it was kind of cute how Fred died laughing because he was always laughing.  Crabbe kind of deserved to die because he was casting mean stuff.  He'd always been mean.

Crabbe died while following what he perceived to be the best path for him to take. I had no particular feeling one way or the other about him dying in the Fiendfyre, except a sense of 'ah' when he died by the very thing he conjured and failed to remember how to control.

I don't like that Fred died.  His manner of death, though, while he is being himself, welcoming Percy back to the family, battling Death Eaters, and enjoying a laugh, is fitting (if he had to die).  Also, it was instantaneous without the fear and pain that Crabbe suffered. But I still don't like that he died.

Like Tarma and Hannah, I didn't particularly feel one way or another regarding Crabbe's death. He was quite literally done in by his own hand, but he acted with the intent to kill and released Fiendfyre even with the potential threat to his own friends, so it seems fitting that if anyone were to die in it, it would be him. He was never a character that we were intended to care about, as he only acted as one of Malfoy's cronies since the beginning and showed little development. However, his death is fitting to be the first that we know about and are exposed to; the death of a character that we don't care about as much is easier to stomach than the death of a character we love.

The character that we love, of course, is Fred. Also like everyone has mentioned, I don't think Fred deserved to die. Unfortunately death is inevitable in battle and the stakes are particularly high. At least he was able to welcome his estranged brother back to the family and even share a joke with him before his death. Though the last line of this chapter is harsh, I feel like it would have been even harsher had Fred died a somber death or died with fear on his face. Like Tarma said, if he has to die, that was the best way for him to go.

I think both deaths were very upsetting. Sure, Crabbe was evil but this doesn’t make him unchangeable. Who knows, maybe if he was given a chance he could become a good person? He should be punished for the casting the curse but I don’t think he deserved to die. 

Freds death is just heartbreaking.

I think Crabbes death was fair. He could had killed someone and it’s just a bad turn of events (or rather good) that it was him who paid the price for his evilness!

I agree on this with Harry. Fred should not have died and it is very heartbreaking 

I thought they both died they way they lived and it showed a kind of karmic balance.

Crabbe was often portrayed as not quite all that bright. He casted a spell he should not have cast,  one he could not control, and in the end, it cost him his life. He was mourned by his best friend, Draco, and probably by Goyle. 

Fred loved to laugh and tell jokes, and he died while laughing. George was injured by an accident, and Fred died from an accident. Both of them had chosen to place themselves in harm's way because of love for their friends and family and such. 

As a side note, I know someone who was upset that Goyle wasn't in the final movie and was replaced by Zabini, because the person had become a Goyle fan. He thought Goyle was one of the very few plus sized characters in the movies and he was quite an admirer! 

I agree with most people in that Crabbe's death left me unmoved when it first happened as he'd never shown signs of being redeemable and it was poetic justice that his own foolishness caused it. However, when Draco began to get upset that they'd had to leave him, then I did feel something. Even though Draco probably didn't particularly 'care' about Crabbe and Goyle beyond their usefulness as followers, it still reminded me that every death has a ripple effect for the people in that person's life. Everyone leaves an empty space.

Fred's death was.... yeah, ridiculously hard. But I concur with everyone else who said that if it had to happen, at least he went out as he lived and it wasn't a traumatic end for him. As Aur said, not everyone makes it out of a battle and I think (as much as I hate character death) I would have been quietly unsatisfied if everyone had.