The Slytherin Dungeons

Task 2 - A House of One's Own

Screen-Shot-2021-02-18-at-10-00-58-PM.pn
image shows the Ilvermorny school crest, a blue four-leaf clover with gold ribbons surrounding it atop a red background

Upon arriving in New England, there's so much to see. You make sure to swing by the American National Quidditch Stadium, covertly located on a privately-owned farm, and watch the American National team practice from afar. The weather is a bit chilly so you've also put on your favorite hat and gloves. After checking out a few locations around New England in quite a few states, you finally stumble upon Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This wizarding school is considered the most similar to your native Hogwarts and employs the same use of a four house system: Horned Serpent that favors scholars, Pukwudgie that favors healers, Thunderbird that favors adventurers, and Wampus that favors warriors. As you take in the beautiful house crest that adorns the floor, you wonder about what animal you'd want to favor you.

In no less than 100 words, discuss which animal you would want to create a house for and what kind of folks your house would favor. It can be the animal you've discovered as your Patronus or Animagus, an animal whose characteristics you'd like to embody, or an animal that shares tendencies you already possess. The sky is the limit! This task is due at 11:59pm HOL time on April 11th for 10 scales and 10 beans.

• 3 weeks later...

Winged Wands is the house that I would create. They play Quidditch but their snitches are wands that have wings. The students that were like Ravenclaws and Gryffindors would get sorted into Winged Wands. These students are brave and very smart in everything, especially wands. They can sense danger long before danger comes. So, if you ever need to be protected, have a Winged Wands student with you all the time. They all have matching sweaters that they wear when they are at school. Some of the 1st year students can't tell that it is danger but they have watches and they can tap their watches and it lets all the other wizards and witches know. The house elf is named Wandy. The house animal would be a Hippogriff. The house elf also has a watch and can track where all of the students are. It also has a little sweater to match all the students. All of the students like to dye their hair so they all have bright colored hair. They are nature lovers and whenever they go out, Wandy always brings extra clothes in case any of the students get cold.

IMG-0761-edit.jpg

I'm pretty sure I answered this - in some form - for February Fortescue in a class last term.  My patronus is an anaconda, and we already have a house with snake mascots at Hogwarts so there's no point of trying to duplicate a house that exists!  But my animagus form is a killer whale, and that is a great house mascot as well!  The house name is Walikyl - and the types of students that I would want in there would be those who have the potential to be excellent at something - though, despite that potential, they can avoid being overbearing except when absolutely necessary.  And of course they need to be able to actually realize their potential!

I actually did this for the class I'm teaching back in 2012 and created a house I'd never join  :D  This time I'll create something fun. My house would be called Welkin, which is an old name for the sky. Our house animal would be the Starfish. Starfish symbolize guidance, inspiration, sensory feelings, intuition, and stars. My house colors would be purple and turquoise. The ceiling would be a beautiful deep purple, with white walls and turquoise accents. Our gemstone would be the Amethyst, which represents clarity.

The students we'd be seeking out are budding psychics. Our students are able to read energies and predict the future. They have an interest in all things fortune telling, and when they arrive at the school, they already know their Sun Sign, Moon Sign, and Rising Sign. Their goal is to increase their knowledge and add talents such as palmistry and tarot cards. 

My Patronus is a magpie, so I would want to create a house with a magpie as a mascot. A magpie Patronus represents intelligence and observation, and the drive to keep working to be better. Magpies can also be quite stubborn, of which I definitely am. My house’s name is Aile, which is wing in French. People sorted into this house are intelligent, but not just book smart. They have a wisdom that goes beyond school, and they knew when to talk and when to listen. They are excellent at observing and watching other people, learning from everyone. They are perfectionists and strive to be the best at what they do; they are very ambitious.

My house would be based upon one of my favourite magical creatures, and the animal for which my middle name takes, the Phoenix. The people in this house would be strong, determined and caring, good thinkers and those that let their emotions guide meaning they are emotionally intelligent. It would be house for those who have struggled but continue through all of the turmoil and continue to get back up and go again - a house for those that persevere. Good healers too! Those that are driven, can rise from their ashes stronger than before, and those that would do absolutely anything for the people they love. I think if I could name some fictional characters perfect for this house they would be Samwise Gamgee, Captain America, Dean Winchester, Robin Hood, The Doctor, Mulan, Moana etc. I think I would name it Fenortus - Taken from 'Fenix' and 'Ortus' latin for rise!

House Rossafalco would be named in honor of an animal whose symbolism has long been associated with healing.  I speak of the hawk, more specifically the red-tailed hawk.  The name stems from the Italian word for 'red' (rossa) and the Italian word for 'hawk' (falco)  .  The House colors would be red and black.  The red is rather obvious, but the symbolism goes even further.  Red is also  associated with passion, love, health and life.  Black is most commonly associated with darkness and death, but on the converse, it can also be representative of power, elegance, and sophistication.  Combined, the red and black are quite striking, almost synonamous with the Gothic aesthetic, which does not entirely displease me, I must admit.

Now before you grow concerned that House Rossafalco would accept only those vampiric in nature, let me assure you that is far from the truth.  I am a firm believer in specialized training, the younger, the better, if you ask me.  This House, therefore, would be open to those who wish to dedicate themselves to the art of healing.  They must be lovers of learning as well, and have a proclivity for potions and herbalism.  I do not care about blood purity; the house would be open to all, as long as they wish to dedicate a good portion of their studying to the end goal of medicine and healing.  

If I had to name or create a house, I think my house name would be the Lupi's. It latin a lupi means a wolf. My patronus funnily enough is a timber wolf, so creating a house name like this is not a problem. Wolves are strong, family or pack orientated which means everything they do they do together,be it hunting, protecting or defending. You do get a few lone wolves whom are headstrong but ultimately they need a pack. In turn I want the people whom are in my house, to be strong, fearless and never afraid to protect one another. They should be able to help each other in times of need even if they are the lone wolves of the pack.

I have decided that the house I would love to have would be a house associated with wolves. Wolves are not the only my favourite animals, but also they are my general body when it comes to shapeshifting.

The reason why I would love to have a wolf as a patron is because of the stigma around shapeshifters. There is a huge difference between us and the werewolves. Most people don’t see it so it’s time to change it!

The house colours would be black and yellow. All students are welcomed. Hatred and discrimination, especially towards shapeshifters results in a ban from the house.

The house I would love to have his house associated with Ferrets. If you don’t know it yet @Louis Walles and I have a Ferret and wasn’t long until she became a favourite pet ever. Therefore, I would love to honour her cuteness  by giving her a house (fancy, right?). 

The house colours will be white and yellow, so the same colours of my Ferrets Fur.  The students in my house need to show kindness towards all creatures (spiders don’t count - they are creepy!), need to be loyal and loving,  and be energetic, and love to sleep!

I would definitely create a house with a dolphin as their emblem! I love dolphins because they're such playful creatures, but they're also pretty smart. They like a sense of adventure and can be rather determined creatures. In a sense, they embody all the houses. The people in this house would mainly be super friendly and curious people. It will cater towards those who have a sense of adventure, but also have a pleasant and curious spirit. The house would be called Aquamarine and would have its emblem as a dolphin with an aquamarine background! Dolphins are known to be rather playful creatures and this house would have a general history of being a fun house full of friendly people with many talents! 

I will create a house after my Patronus and Animagus which is a cat. The house name is Curiosum House, which is Curious in Latin. The people of this house are mostly known for their friendliness, affectionate, and gentleness. They have to be smart and independent in learning, since they are curious people, they would go out and seek the knowledge by themselves without waiting for someone to give it to them. That's why they also have to be active. Even though they are friendly they would turn into a lion when someone crosses them and they don't like it when people take what's theirs or use their things without ask for permission first.