The Slytherin Dungeons

Task 4 - Postcard from the world

During this event you had visited almost every continent in the world! Have you ever been in Oceania or maybe you even live there? We would love to see your country! For this task, I ask you to create a postcard about Oceania/Africa  or a country/city in Oceania/Africa! You can use photos taken by yourself to make it more interesting!

Note: If you have never been to Africa or Oceania, you can create a postcard for any other country/city on any continent we have mentioned during the whole event!

Along with a photo, please tell me more about this place in no less than 50 words!

Screenshot-2021-03-01-at-13-41-51.png 

(Photo shows two postcards: From Australia (top) and from Africa (bottom).)

This task is due at 11:59pm HOL time on Sunday, 11th April, for a total of 10 scales and 10 beans! To submit, post your postcard below!

• 3 weeks later...

Since we visited North America, I decided to do my postcard on Miami! Since I'm from Florida, it only seemed reasonable!

City-Tourist-Travel-Postcard.png

Larger Image: https://i.postimg.cc/8Pghb3Yk/City-Tourist-Travel-Postcard.png

Image shows four pictures of miami - one of the city, one of the Atlantic Ocean coming up to it, one of the Intracoastal Waterway near Miami, and another of palm trees with a sunset. 'Greetings from Miami!' is written in white on a blank background with 'Miami' in blue, white, yellow, and red.

I chose Paris because the Eiffel Tower is really pretty. I heard that at night, the Eiffel Tower does different colorful colors. Also, the businesses in Paris are really cute and unique. I have a bracelet that has an Eiffel Tower on it. My friend got me the bracelet and she has a bracelet that also has the Eiffel Tower on it.

Untitled.jpg

Since we went to Indonesia and because it's where I live then I chose Indonesia. It's a beautiful country for those of you who love to do travelling and enjoy the nature, there are many beautiful places here~ I had a hard time choosing pictures for this postcard but let me tell you what I have here, there are Raja Ampat, Sand Dune Tana Toraja, Tanjung Puting National Parkㅡthe great place to see Orang Utan, Rinjani Mountain, Jayawijaya Mountain, Tri-colored Lakes of Mount Kelimutu, Komodo National Park, Padar Island, and Kelingking Beach. 

Postcard-Resize.png

postcard.jpg

I chose my postcard to be from the Canadian Rocky Mountains, since I live quite close to them and travel there a lot. In the Americas week, Banff National Park was mentioned, and most of these photos are from there. All of the photos in the postcard were taken by me, and as you can see, there are a lot of beautiful sights! I also included a photo of a mule deer I took the other day… he’s so cute!

Edited by Maeve Madden

AXSal0j.png

This postcard was based on a picture taken in the city of Helsinki, Finland!  From the harbour you can see the Northern Lights  ("Aurora borealis") and their reflection upon the water.  The city's location on the Baltic Sea allows for all sorts of great views of lights reflecting in the water, and when the Aurora borealis is visible, it's a wonder to behold!  Although I haven't been there since 2012, Helsinki is one of the best planned cities in existence:  it's easy to get around and transition between city, marketplace, waterfront, and wilderness.  When the weather is awful, the fact that you can travel a good distance without outdoor exposure due to the underground tunnels is even better!  And when the weather improves, you get amazing views like the one pictured above...

zioBPQd.jpg

When we visited North America, we stopped off in New England to visit Ilvermorny, America's answer to Hogwarts.  I have always loved this area of the country, and it brought to mind a vacation that my husband and I took to Maine a few years ago.  We stayed in Portland, and were able to explore the beautiful lighthouses and scenery of the area, not to mention the...lobster!!  One of my favorite memories from that trip was being a part of the 'crew' on an actual working lobster boat.  We got to experience all aspects of the daily life of a lobsterman, including baiting and throwing traps, collecting full ones, measuring the lobster, etc.  It was magical enough that I momentarily forgot my insane fear of birds and paid little heed to the seagulls circling the boat hoping to catch a bite to eat.  It was truly a magical trip, and only fueled my love for New England in general.  Who knows?  One day I might even end up living there!  

image-2021-04-07-222517.png

I chose London, in England for this task's postcard. London is one of the most historic places in England, and is also a capital of the United Kingdom. London has many beautiful landmarks such as London Eye, or The Buckingham Palace. 

I chose London because I live here and I do think that it is definitely a city worth visiting! 

This is my home state of Kentucky. I didn't take any of these beautiful photos, but they're all very representative of my home. The photo in the upper right hand corner is our state capital building in Frankfurt. The bottom left shows one of the horse parks around Lexington. Kentucky is known for its thoroughbred horses, the Queen of England visits every year (or at least she did when she was in good health and before the-virus-that-shall-not-be-named) and many celebrities have homes here. I've toured several of the horse farms and the horses are exquisite! The largest photo on the right was taken at the Breaks Interstate Park, which is on the border of Kentucky and Virginia. It's nicknamed "The Grand Canyon of the East" and has the largest gorge east of the Mississippi River.

a2WZJ3B.jpg