The Slytherin Dungeons

Africa is known from its beautiful panoramic views and magnificent animals such as lions, elephants or giraffes! Some of the most breath-taking places were used in movies, such as Mount Kilimanjaro (pictured below) in the 'Lion King'!

Mount-Kilimanjaro.jpg

For this task, research one or more places in Africa, which you would love to visit, and in min. 150 words answer the following questions:

• What is it?
  • Where is it?
  • Why do you want to visit it?

If you also want to submit a photo/photos of the place/s, you need to write 80 words instead of 150.

This task is due at 11:59pm HOL time on Sunday, 11th April, for a total of 10 scales and 10 beans! To submit, post it below.

• 1 month later...

I really want to see the pyramids in Egypt. They are a historical landmark, so I thought it would be really cool to have the chance to see them! The pyramids have such historical significance to them especially with all the history around the pharaoh's and the culture back then when they were built! The sphinx is something that I would see when I see the pyramids, but that's definitely a top choice as well! The Great Pyramid is the pyramid I'd like to see because it's one of the seven wonders of the world! It's amazing to think that with the limited machinery that was available to them, the Egyptians were still able to create such enormous landmarks. 

shutterstock-RF-1037036482.jpg

Image shows the Sphinx and The Great Pyramid of Giza behind it. 

Edited by Iverian Gnash

Sterkspruit Falls are waterfalls in the Giants Castle Game Reserve in Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa. I want to visit because it looks really pretty and I like waterfalls. I would invite a few HOL friends to go with me and sit on the tiny bench at the top. I would also like to go to the Okonjima Nature Reserve because it looks like it has nice places to look down and see stuff. Plus, I like animals.

Waterfall.png

Nature-Reserve.png

I want to visit Mauritius Island, it's located in the Indian Ocean about 2,000 kilometres off the southeast coast of the African continent, east of Madagascar. I'm not sure if any of you know about that place or not but it's really beautiful. I would love to be there and take many pictures of the nature. There are many beautiful beaches in this country too, such as Grand Bay, Pereybere, Belle Mare, Blue Bay, La Morne, Tamarin, and Flic en Flac. It also has very nice place to do pre-wedding shoots xD. 

Pics-Art-04-05-01-41-23.jpg

Edited by Silvana Mandeville

One place that I’ve always wanted to visit is Victoria Falls. It is one of the largest waterfalls in the world and is between Zambia and Zimbabwe. There are two national parks there: Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park and Victoria Falls National Park. There are more national parks that border the two parks mentioned, but are not right by Victoria Falls. There are a ton of animals and plants there that are protected, such as elephants, zebras, giraffes, lions, and cheetahs. Victoria Falls is also known for hosting a wide array of birds of prey, such as Taita falcons, black eagles, and augur buzzards. Seeing the wonder of the falls would be amazing, as well as seeing these animals in the wild. I am a zoology major at university so I would love the opportunity to see these animals in their natural habitat.

10130-bbb021f991.jpg

My first stop in Africa is going to be South Africa. The lovely Amy Lupin has already met up with me in the United States multiple times, so I definitely have to visit her there. She speaks fondly of Cape Town. The ocean views must be gorgeous from a port city. The Cape of Good Hope must be good, right? I'd want to take the cable car to Table Mountain. I'm also interested in seeing all the wildlife, especially all the big cats. I heard that there is even a penguin colony!

3RLKeum.png

One place in Africa that I'd like to visit would be the Masai Mara National Reserve (as pictured below), which can be found in southern Kenya (in eastern Africa, just south of the equator).  I would be particularly interested in Masai Mara because of the scenery and the chance to observe the wide variety of animals - many of which are unique to the region or the continent.  I could even participate in the Muggle version of flying known as a "hot air balloon" to see particularly interesting views from the reserve - and if I plan my approach right, I might even get a view of the equator itself!

rPm8icp.png

Oq7dqSN.jpg 

The place that caught my interest is Marrakech, Morocco.  As the largest city in Morocco, Marrakech  it offers a variety of things to do.  My main destination would be the Medina District, which is the main historic district of Marrakech.  Here, I would indulge my foodie nature by sampling the sumptious dishes to be found in the souk (open-air market) located in Djemaa El-Fna, which is the main square of the area.  There are so many sights to see, from snake charmers to acrobats and plenty of shops to keep me occupied.  The historian in me demands that I take a tour of the local architecture, which I look forward to exploring.  I would end the day with a relaxing visit to a hammam (spa).

Though I have never been, I have always been quite fascinated with Morocco.  The culture, the architecture, and yes..the food.  I love cooking and experiencing foods from many cultures, and Moroccan food has always been a favorite.  To experience the authentic dishes would be a dream come true, and hopefully I would learn a thing or two to be able to recreate them in my own kitchen at home.

The place I always wanted to visit is in Egypt. This place is Cairo and is the capital of Egypt. This city has a population of over 100.4 million. It was founded in 969 AD by Fatimid Caliphate. Cairo has a strong connection with the Ancient Egypt and with the mythology. 

The places I would like to see are Giza pyramid, go to Cairo Opera House, Cairo Tower, Egyptian Museum, Tahrir Square, and Old Cairo. I would like to go there with @Louis Walles😁

high-angle-view-of-cairo-during-daytime-cairo.jpg

XphiXR8.jpg

I want to visit Egypt and visit the Great Pyramids at Giza! I'm extremely claustrophobic so I don't want to actually go inside one, though, even if I were offered the chance. I'd be in tears, thinking I'd never get out, or it would collapse.  Even the thrill of being inside the burial chamber wouldn't be incentive enough for me! But just standing next to all of that history! I also want to visit Dashur and see the Bent Pyramid. It looks fascinating from photos. And I'd hate not th get an up close look at the Sphynx. Love to see those paws in scale.

So many of the places listed above sound interesting, and of course I'd want to visit the pyramids. I would, however, also want to delve back further in the history of Egypt and visit Waset, which is currently known as Thebes. It's located along the banks of the Nile River, in Upper Egypt. It's said to be a place which was the height of Egyptian civilization. Homer referred to Thebes in his Iliad "... in Egyptian Thebes the heaps of precious ingots gleam, the hundred-gated Thebes." In particular, I want to visit Luxor. It's been mentioned in so many movies and books -- especially in the Rick Riordan Kane Chronicles -- that I'd like to just be there and see and feel the tall columns of the ancients.

Luxor-Egypt.jpg