The Slytherin Dungeons

September 2023 Game Challenge: Donkey Kong

Prof. Will Lestrange

We're starting up the year with a different theme:  the winner of each month's game will get to pick the theme for the next month's game!  But we need to start somewhere, and to begin the year we'll choose a game I skipped over during my first years of the Arcade Club because despite its popularity, it struck me as a bit challenging.  But in the sixth year of these challenges, I think we as a school are ready for the challenge.   So this time, we're going to play... Donkey Kong!

Donkey Kong was developed in 1981 by Nintendo (and is arguably the definition of "Nintendo Hard").  This iconic game, the forerunner of the four-decade-plus Donkey Kong series, not just introduced the gorilla named "Donkey Kong" (not a donkey or a monkey) but the player character - who is Mario! 

At the beginning of the game, "Donkey Kong" has captured a woman named Pauline, whom he has tied up at the top of a cascading series of platforms.  Your job is to climb your way up the platforms to reach Pauline... but Donkey Kong has surprisingly nasty weapons!  He hurls barrels at you down the platforms and you need to jump over them to reach the top.  Or you can grab a hammer to bash the barrels, but... the hammer is only temporary.  And while you have the hammer you can't jump or climb!

When you make it to the top, Donkey Kong grabs Pauline to take her to the next stage, which is even harder!  There you need to remove the eight small connectors supporting the platforms by walking over them (and avoiding enemies - easier said than done) to cause the structure to collapse and knock down Donkey Kong.  And then the game continues on...

For this month, you want to go to THIS LINK  to play Donkey Kong.  Screencap proof of your high score by September 30 at 11:59 PM HOL!  (And in your post, also include what type of game you want to play in October:  are you thinking of 'action'?  'adventure'?  'puzzle'?  'web game'?  'Golden Era of gaming'?  'In the past five years'?  If you win the month, I will try to make it happen!)

(A side note on the commands:  the arrows do what you think they will, but to start the game, you need to press the SHIFT key to insert coin and the ENTER key to start.  And the 's' key will jump...)

-Participation at all will earn you 5 scales.

-If you score at least 2023 points or make it past the first stage, your screencap will earn you 10 scales instead of 5.

-The top three scores of the month will get extra scales (25, 20, and 15 respectively for the month instead of 5 or 10) as well as special awards (and the chance for the next month's game to be in your honour)!

PS:  Feel free to edit your post throughout the month as you improve your score!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FINAL STANDINGS FOR SEPTEMBER 2023 

1st: Scarlet Robloutain - 20200 points (Gold Joystick)

2nd: Janne Halla - 16100 points (Silver Joystick)

3rd: Caius Magnusson - 11600 points (Bronze Joystick)

Since Caius was the highest scoring participant to vote on next month's choice, his pick of a rhythm game will be featured for October!