The Slytherin Dungeons

Werewolves Task 2 - Werewolves Movies

Louis Walles

As mentioned in the first task, werewolves are a huge part of the Muggle legends, however they are not limited to just this.

In 1913, a movie called 'The Werewolf' was released. This movie is considered to be the first movie ever about werewolves, however, it has sadly been lost during the fire at the Universal Studios in 1924.

The most famous movie about werewolves is called 'Werewolf of London' with Henry Hull playing the leading role.

Do you any other werewolf movie? If so, share it below to receive 10 scales at any time before 11:59pm HOL time on Sunday, October 31st.

There is no word limit, so share whatever you want!

The movie I'm thinking of is called "Teen Wolf":  it feels like a Slytherin wish fulfillment scene with a twist.  Imagine being mediocre as a human being, striving for greatness, and finally getting it... but at the cost of being a monster (or at least of a non-human form)!  Is it worthe cost?

Well, of course I think of The Twilight Saga and the Quileute 'wolves'. 

A quick Google search though, as well as reading in a class Guide to Shapeshifting, says that they are not 'proper' werewolves. 

In Louis' class it says "Quileute shifters - these shapeshifters are descendants of the Chief Taha Aki. Taha Aki was banished by a spirit warrior called Utlapa."  All of these shapeshifters can shift (if they have the ability to do so) without regard to what phase of the moon is happening.

Google search - "Shape-shifters, often mistaken as werewolves, are descended from the ancient spirit warriors of the Quileute tribe."

However, in the Twilight universe there are the Children of the Moon.   They are hunted by the vampire as being more dangerous and vicious than themselves. (Yeah, right, thinking of those Volturi ...). So I can actually use the Twilight movies, even if werewolves are not properly shown in them, but are referred to only as a comparison to the Quileute wolves. (Louis, that okay?)

Google - "The Children of the Moon, also known as werewolves, are human beings that at night and the fullest phase of the moon transform into fearsome feral wolf-like creatures. Werewolves, unlike shape-shifter's, have the strength and power to kill a vampire single-handedly. Their strength coupled with their inability to control the shift into their wolf forms makes them extremely dangerous and resulted in many vampires fearing them. This fear lead to the Volturi nearly eradicating all werewolves from Europe and Asia."

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

The only 'werewolf movie' I've watched is Twlilight, which I have promptly erased from my memory. All I remember is that they can change into wolf by choice and it's an like an honour. Also, their purpose is to protect humans from the Vampires.

Edited by Willow Carter

I'll admit that I'm not really into werewolf movies, but one that sticks with me is The Howling.  It's an older movie (1981), and although the special effects are rather outdated, the movie itself is solid.  The premise revolves around a young news anchor by the name of Karen White who is being stalked by a serial murderer named Eddie Quist.  If that isn't bad enough, it turns out that Eddie is also a werewolf.  Uh oh!

The ending of the movie, bar none, is one of the best I've ever seen.  If you have never seen it, and you are a fan of the genre, it's one I would strongly recommend.  

*Fair warning-the movie does have some content of adult nature and is not suitable for younger viewers.*

There is a show called Legacies. In Legacies, there is a school for all the magical beings (witches/wizards, werewolves, vampires etc.) where they can feel safe from others. There are werewolves in this movie, as mentioned. 

I must admit I haven’t seen many werewolf films, the only one I can think of from the top of my head is the ever popular Teen Wolf! What We Do in The Shadows and Twilight are both vampire centric but include werewolves so I suppose I could count them haha!

I also haven't seen many werewolf movies, and from a quick search on IMDb, I realized that is because most of the most popular films involving werewolves are horror films and I don't go out of my way to watch horror. A podcast I listen to discussed An American Werewolf in London and its impact upon the horror genre which I found very interesting so may watch sometime soon. Otherwise, I have watched the first two Twilight films I believe (it's been a while) and like others have mentioned, werewolves play a role in those.