The Slytherin Dungeons

September 2021 Game Challenge: Toobin'

Prof. Will Lestrange

The fall term may have begun here at HOL, but for many of us September still feels like summer.  I have a feeling that many of you would enjoy floating down a river and enjoying the sunshine... and, if so, your wish is my command.  That's right; the game we will be playing to start off my fourth year running the Arcade Club here is going to be... Toobin'! 

Just like our last game (which was Tetris), Toobin' is also an Atari arcade game from 1988 (albeit with ties to Midway as well)... but the structure is totally different.  Instead of using puzzle pieces to build structure, you will be taking on the role of a cool 80s dude named Bif, floating down a river in an inner tube... and competing against a computer-controlled racer named Flotsam who is doing the same thing.  As you paddle down the river, you can earn points by going through gates (but if Flotsam passes through the gate, or either he or you hits a pole bounding the gate, its value goes down).  Meanwhile there are obstacles in the water that are deadly to the touch... and cans that you can throw at Flotsam after picking them up!  Did I mention that if you don't go fast enough, a crocodile will appear at the top of the screen and pursue you?  And there are tons of other secret bonuses as well to discover...

For this month's challenge, you want to go to THIS LINK to play Toobin'.  Screencap your best performance (and post it in this thread) by September 30 at 11:59 PM HOL!  

(PS:  To start the game, you need to click on the "INSERT COIN" button twice and then press the LEFT CONTROL button to start the game.  When playing, the A key paddles with your right hand and the D key paddles with your left hand, though from the game's perspective this may appear reversed!  And the LEFT CONTROL key will shoot a soda can, if you haven't used them all up already. ) 

-Participation at all will earn you 5 scales.

-If you clear the first level or score 2021 points or higher, your screencap will earn you 10 scales instead of 5.

-The top three scores of the month will get extra scales (25, 20, and 15 respectively for the month instead of 5 or 10) as well as special awards!

PS:  Feel free to edit your post throughout the month as you improve your score!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...