The Slytherin Dungeons

Summer Discussion Post: What is your taste in games?

A few months back, I asked if you preferred individual games or team games.  While you are still welcome to take part in that discussion, I want to ask something more general:  what features make you more or less drawn to a game:

-do you prefer games that are easy to learn or ones with more intricate strategy?

-do you prefer games that are competitive, collaborative, or have no clear winners/losers?

-do you like games that are so short you can fit many of them into a session, or do you prefer longer games that you can really get into?

-is there anything else that makes you think "I really want to play this game" or "I really do NOT want to play this game"?

Your opinions are welcome! 

-do you prefer games that are easy to learn or ones with more intricate strategy?

While I am a fan of both, I think it feels incredibly rewarding to finally feel comfortable with the mechanisms of a game with intricate strategy. I also think it often leads to particularly interesting gameplay that can surprise everyone. Unfortunately, I don't own many of those kinds of games and am looking to expand both my game collection and the patience my partner has so that he can join me in learning the rules.

-do you prefer games that are competitive, collaborative, or have no clear winners/losers?

Like the previous question, I enjoy all three and could never pick solely one to play forever. I think games where the players are competing with the game to complete a given task are always fun and interesting. Of course friendly competition is welcome every now and then :p

-do you like games that are so short you can fit many of them into a session, or do you prefer longer games that you can really get into?

As of now I prefer shorter games, contrary to how I slightly prefer more strategical games, but only because no one around me in RL has dived into the wide world of hour-long, strategy heavy games. I think both can be awesome depending who you're with!

-is there anything else that makes you think "I really want to play this game" or "I really do NOT want to play this game"?

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I like games with cool pieces. From a wider perspective, I enjoy games that tell stories where I can really get into what's at stake if I don't succeed. Even though I sweat my way through them and am constantly nervous (which likely leads to my loss), I think games where players are trying to guess the traitor among them are neat. However, if I am to play a game like that, I have to know the rules backwards and forwards first or I give myself away way too easily.

As you might be able to guess, I love strategy games! I especially like games that have multiple ways to win.

I am usually a little competitive, but I have also really enjoyed games that require collaboration.

If the game is fun, the length usually doesn't bother me. It is nice to be able to fit a couple different games in one board game session though!

I'm awful at lying, so I don't do well with any games that require it. I have a slight obsession with dice, so I tend to gravitate toward games that let me use many dice. Pretty pictures help too.

I do think I love a challenge but recently with all my stacked up work I do think I prefer easy to learn games. Learning quickly and being able to enjoy playing them without stressing out about the rules too much is much more relaxing to me.

Although I wouldn't say I am heavily competitive I do think having clear winners and losers makes the games a lot more interesting and it makes me more likely to try to win or just get involved. Everyone likes being called a winner, even if they aren't the most competitive. I do love working in teams to. The only thing better than winning is sharing the glory with others :)

As the first question sort of explains I think I prefer shorter games. Longer games can sometimes get a little tedious and I am more likely to get bored during long games.

I agree with Aurelia, I do tend to like the look of aesthetically pleasing games. If it has a theme and a story I am usually all over it!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my own thoughts:

I like games that I can jump straight into without too much thought.  But if I really like a game and want to play it for more than a few times, I definitely want to be able to develop strategies (just as long as it doesn't take a year of memorising 'correct' moves to get started!)

If I have a chance of winning, I enjoy the competitive thrill.  But other types of games can be fun too... though I'm not a fan of the 'Minecraft' style of game where there are no clear objectives!

These days I don't have the time or energy for very long games, and I don't like when a game I took a chance on took up an entire session and feels like I invested time on something that wasn't particularly fun.  Short games are more fun in general; even if a particular short game isn't fun, I can quickly move onto the next thing!

Pet peeve from my childhood:  I HATED the rule "The youngest player goes first" especially when the rule set made the first player much more likely to win.  Pure chance games that take more than a few minutes are also not my preference.

• 2 years later...

do you prefer games that are easy to learn or ones with more intricate strategy?

I prefer games that require intricate strategy. I enjoy immersing myself in deep thought once in a while to feel like a detective, because that's exactly why I play games - to stimulate my brain. I would rather embrace its complexity and develop amazing strategies to play the game such that I feel accomplished with every little step of progress that I make towards getting better at the game.

do you prefer games that are competitive, collaborative, or have no clear winners/losers?

I prefer competitive games, because a bit of healthy competition stimulates one to see the game through to the end. I like collaborative games but I may be slightly scared of them because I am not good at deducing emotional reactions and social cues and may not necessarily get what my teammates need or want or what issues they are facing, and I may have communication problems with them. I do not like games that have no clear winner/loser because winning is what gives a feeling of accomplishment and losing is what makes us learn and develop strategies for the next game. These act as motivations in their own ways. Not having a clear winner/loser is not very stimulating.

do you like games that are so short you can fit many of them into a session, or do you prefer longer games that you can really get into?

I'd be somewhere in the middle on this one. I don't like games that are so long that it never ends and I lose interest. I don't like short ones either because the excitement ends too quickly and I crave many sessions of it and after multiple sessions it gets repetitive and boring and thus the whole thing is not very gratifying. I like ones that take long enough but not too long, a perfect balance between the two. Stimulating, but not undoable, is the kind of feeling that I like, and hence neither too long nor too short are the type of games I like most.

is there anything else that makes you think "I really want to play this game" or "I really do NOT want to play this game"?

I personally prefer board games with strategy and card games most. These games make me want to play them. Besides, I enjoy games that make one think and help build a story. I really love games that have a storyline and that's something which makes me want to go "I want to play this." I love imagining myself within the story like a role-play while playing the game. It takes me into an alternate reality and helps me escape the real world and enter one of fantasy that I love. For e.g., a game at the end of which I complete a story by winning or lead the protagonist to a certain outcome (which I can control to some extent through the way in which I play) through the way I play the game. I love to feel like my choices led to a certain outcome and love to replay to find out what would have happened and how different the outcome would be if I had played differently and made different choices in the game. : )

I love all sorts of games but arcade, strategy games, board games, and card games most, including games that involve making the correct choices at different points during the game. : )