The Slytherin Dungeons

The Journal of Lucia Dinapoli

Lucia Dinapoli

Saturday 23rd January 2021

Dear Journal,

I can't believe I've never thought to start one of these before. It seems like a waste if I don't put my most special memories of HOL somewhere to look back on...So, where to begin?

My name is Lucia Phoenicia Dinapoli, I am a second year Slytherin student, I share a dorm with my friend Azriel Malfoy and have two pets, a black cat names Murdoc and a barn owl named Mingus. I have italian-irish heritage, and a huge family! We were raised in the North-West of England in a cottage between Dunsop Brudge and Wigglesworth. It's near this huge forest called the Forest of Bowland. It's my favourite place to explore (other than Hogwarts) with my family - I am baby number three and one of four magical children.

Currently the classes I am taking are Herbology, Potions, Divination, Mysteries of the Black Lake and Defence Against the Dark Arts, but I am a huuuuge Care of Magical Creatures nerd and hope one day I can reach Magizoologist level of creature expertise! I am a very big fan of writing and of Herbology too and I have a column in the Serpentimes Newspaper called 'Happy Herbalism'. Most recently I have became a Promising Student, meaning that one day I may be able to graduate to Prefect status. How exciting ~ I hope I can bring great pride to my house.

Today I have been preparing myself for my first task as a Promising Student, completing some DADA homework and painting of course - thats my number one hobby ~

Well, that's about it for now, I hope I can use this journal well...

~ Lucia

5 scales awarded

• 2 weeks later...

Friday 12th February 2021

Dear Journal,

What a few weeks it has been. I successfully graduated from my first term classes, even collecting myself a few Awards for my efforts, and now I will be progressing with Art: A Magical Study, Patronus 101, Wand-Making and Parseltongue. I am so excited to start my new classes, they're all somewhat in the creative field and I am super excited to broaden my Magical knowledge. 

My work outside of HOL has seemed to pick up its pace, and I've been completely full of fine art tasks, essays and humongous assignments to complete. Those paired with a huge lack of inspiration and motivation to get me there kinda sucks, but HOL has been getting me through and inspiring me along the way, especially now with my Art classes. I've been feeling a little lonely recently, and I am hoping that the upcoming Promising Students task will help me through that and give some other satisfaction to my currently very mundane isolating life! 

Of course, I have my kitties and my books and my music, but sometimes there's nothing better than a little secret Hogwarts party ~

Anyway, I best be off to finish my homework...
Talk again soon,

~ Lucia

5 scales awarded

• 1 month later...

Sunday 14th March 2021

Dear Journal,

It is the evening before the promising students are to go live with out first event, Spring Staycation! I am very very excited, not only for everyone to take part and see what we have organised so fruitfully for them, but to participate myself. It really looks like so much fun and I am very proud of all of our efforts. I hope that the Dungeons members will enjoy it just as much as I have enjoyed being a part of organising it. 

Recently I have had plenty of outside stresses; between work, finances, family and studying I have felt a bit strung out and have had a lack of inspiration and motivation. I have been frustrated with myself for it too, but I have come to realise slowly that in such an odd time in the world it is normal to feel this way, and it has helped lots speaking to others who have also felt the same. I don't feel as alone in my troubles through the pandemic. 

Exciting news however, I have received my Muggle vaccination against the virus and am taking this as a hopeful event that will start to brighten up my future days. Even though I will be spending another birthday in lockdown I will try to enjoy myself and will be kept busy with Promising Student duties - how great!!

Lots of studying to be doing and never-ending homework to finish,
Talk soon,

~ Lucia

5 scales awarded

• 4 weeks later...

Monday 12th April 2021

Dear Journal,

It's been almost a month since I wrote and I feel as if so much has happened that I have to tell you about!

First of all, I have been bogged down with so much University work and Romanian Lessons (did I mention I am learning Romanian?) I felt I have neglected HOL recently, but since my last deadline in next week I'm hoping I'll be able to focus more of my energy back on HOL homework's and Promising Student tasks. Speaking of Promising Students, our Spring Staycation event went wonderfully. Over the four weeks of tasks 20 people got involved in the trip - the creativity shown was outstanding and I had so much fun working with Aurelia and Louis. I hope I am able to participate in something similar soon!

Despite my recent family losses and my ridiculous lack of luck with my personal health, I am feeling a little better. The sun is slowly starting to come out more in the UK, and the lockdown is beginning to lift, I am excited to see things (hopefully) return to normality. I have had my COVID vaccine and I am 100% ready to be able to eat at all my favourite restaurants in the city again...I feel as though they might be excited too - the businesses deserve it. 

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention me and my boyfriend are looking at flats together, how exciting? There's nothing set in stone yet, just going for some viewings and such. His family aren't very supportive of him moving out unfortunately, however, he is an adult and should be able to live independently if he wishes. I think they just want him to live in his neighbourhood forever and never do anything with his life, they treat him like he is idiotic which is frustrating as he is very capable and clearly ready to fly the nest. I don't understand why everything has to be so dramatic? *eye roll*

I celebrated my 22nd birthday (my second lockdown birthday boo hoo) and actually didn't have an awful day. People on HOL even remembered, how sweet? I really was touched. I spent the day in one of my favourite local parks, ate lots of chocolate and got very wine drunk!

Hopefully things keep looking up and moving forward,
Talk soon,

~ Lucia

5 scales awarded

• 1 month later...

Wednesday 13th May 2021

Dear Journal,

It feels much longer than last time! I feel even though I have completed my first year of University I have been more busy that ever. As lockdown restrictions lift and I am preparing to go back to work and see my family I have been under a lot of stresses. I did however finish my year of studies with nothing but firsts in all of my modules - I am very proud of myself. I celebrated by getting some tattoos, three at once this time, which takes my total up to nine. They haven't even healed and I am thinking about another, ahaha. My health has been pretty bad too recently; I am hoping after ten years of problems swallowing my next hospital referral and possible surgery will be my last!

I guess other than that nothing much else has been going on, the weather is as glum as ever and yet I have been outside more and more, enjoying the fresh air but wishing the rain would be replaced by sun. Not much else to be expected in england I suppose. I have been spending my free time crocheting (I finished a blanket) and building new furniture in preparation for my move. It is a lot of money so I am hoping my finances hold out for the year until I can get my next student loan...please pray for me.

Anyway, I better get going, I have lots of homework to finish!

Take care and talk soon,

~ Lucia

5 scales awarded

• 2 weeks later...

Friday 28th May 2021

Dear Journal,

It's coming very close to the HOL year ending and I am becoming quite emotional. It has been a very very fun year with so many activities. I  only have a few more exams to take and then all my classes are complete until next year. The Emerald Cup activities seem so exciting so I can't wait for that, and I am attempting to build my own class for next year so I still have lots of things to get along with to keep me busy until the end of the year!

I have been working on building my art up a little bit as exhibits and galleries have started to open back up so I have been very inspired. Hopefully I will have some time to experiment before classes start back up in September. I have lots of events and things coming up over the Summer, including one of my friends getting married so I have lots to organise. I hope everything can run smoothly and my plans don't all fall apart. I get very anxious when I have lots of things happening, its like my brain has hundreds of tabs open...wish me luck!

I will check back in next month for an update...
Take care and talk soon,

~ Lucia

5 scales awarded

Thursday 3rd June 2021

Dear Journal,

So that is it! All my exams have been submitted and I am officially lesson free for the Summer. The Emerald Cup has just begun too and I am so excited to see the rest of the tasks - I certainly am hoping Brabas gets the justice they deserve! I am certain they are innocent!

I've been rather busy packing for my vacation today. I leave for the countryside tomorrow afternoon and I am looking forward to being in nature; the hangovers I am not looking forward too. I am hoping we have the weather for swimming and hiking. I've been practising my cocktail making skills but I think I am going to stick to the wine and try not to vomit too much.

I have a meal tonight with my family and boyfriend to celebrate my younger brothers my Dads birthdays! Both of whom I won't get the chance to spend any other time with. I have been feeling guilty about it but I recon I have spent far too much time with them over lockdown anyway, they're probably sick of seeing my face.

As well as all of this I have been called back into work after a year of Furlough. A good sign but it means I have less time to myself. Hopefully I don't get many customers. I will be back in time for my Emerald Cup tasks next week and then off again on another adventure so I will update you when I can.

Take care and talk soon,

~ Lucia

5 scales awarded

• 3 weeks later...

Wednesday 23rd June 2021

Dear Journal,

So my trips went mostly well, apart from the occasional clash of growing friends, but my best friend has just recently graduated so she is moving back home - I already don't feel as alone with her home! I have been really ill for the past two weeks, feeling really run down and yet can't sleep. I have enjoyed my time travelling though. I got to see so much new art, taste lots of new things and meet lots of new people (safely of course). I just feel like I can lie in bed for forever now. 

Being called back into work was cancelled with developing COVID rates in other countries (I work in muggle travel so it is very frustrating right now) so I am taking this opportunity to make some new art and write a bit more. I made a piece about femininity, femmes and assault which was a lot of fun and important. I included Medusa into the piece, she is one of my favourite mythological icons. I think I want to make more on that topic, perhaps make some art on plastic pollution, palestine/israel conflict, homelessness and poverty as well as some personal stuff too. I have started mucking about with drawing some of my favourite shows and movies...hopefully maybe people who were involved in those will see it. I am crossing my fingers. I'm also hoping to enter a competition to create an icon for International Students in my city. It's paid work and would be my first paid art role ever if I succeed. I hope this new found inspiration keeps me busy and away from spending more money - I hardly have any after the past few weeks of events.

I have also just finished my HP shelf in my room and it looks incredible! It has a mirror of erised, wands, potions box, marauders map, my book collection and lots more. i even have so much HP stuff it couldn't fit onto one shelf so I guess a second is needed. Wish me luck!! (and money, always money!!)

Anyway, lots to be getting on with,

Take care, will update over the summer!

~ Lucia

5 scales awarded

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday 10th July 2021

Dear Journal,

It seems like so much has happened since I last wrote. The Emerald Cup finished up and it was such a blast to be a part of it all. Now all my attention is directed towards the 20th Anniversary celebrations for HOL. Can you believe its been 20 years? I of course have only experienced a few of those so far, but its amazing to think of how strong this community has been building over the years and I am so grateful I can now be a part of it. Other than that, I have big news: I have been promoted to Prefect! How fantastic is that? And not only that, but I am going to be taking on a role of Student Teacher for a class next year. I must admit I am nervous but I am more passionate about doing well in HOL now than ever and I hope all that passion pays off in the long run. I can't wait to see what lays ahead on my HOL journey. 

It's only two months until term starts again and I will be a third year. I am already planning my schedule so that I can make sure to participate in as much HOL activities as possible. I am aiming to be more present on the HOL forum as well as submit more things for the Schools newspapers. I'm already thinking about what classes I want to take too...maybe a history class?

Other than HOL things are going great for me. I am back to work finally for the first time after the pandemic and as boring as it is it means I have more time to focus on writing tasks. I also start volunteering with a local farm next week which is super exciting. Although I don't have much spare time I am still managing to fit in family, friend and boyfriend time. Art on the other hand has taken a side step which is upsetting so I am hoping I can try having a least one art day a week before University classes stat back up again - then it will be all hands on deck! I am trying to ease myself back into the intensity of constant art I guess you could say.

Anyway, gotta run, lots to do lots to see,

Take care,

~ Lucia

5 scales awarded

• 4 weeks later...

Saturday 7th August 2021

Dear Journal,

I have been very very busy this past month. In between work I have celebrated my anniversary with a holiday (albeit not anywhere foreign) watched one of my friends get married, celebrated my friends graduation for university, broke my finger, organising time move in with my friend and somehow I managed to get super super ill. Thankfully it’s not COVID!

Through all my plans and my duties I guess I have just become very exhausted, and I feel quite guilty as I have not had much time for HOL recently. I hope after this next month my health recovers and I feel a lot better to tackle HOL for the term time as well as my real life university studies! First and foremost I must look after my health so that is what I’ll focus on for now.

Can’t wait for term to start,

Take care,

~ Lucia

5 scales awarded

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday 22nd August 2021

Dear Journal,

I have been thinking a lot. As I am in the spirit of restyling Slytherin Tales, I thought perhaps my journal could also be reinvented. I thought perhaps I could used this as a space to make notes on my magical plant and animal studies...like a scrapbook of herbs and creatures. I say this as very recently I have been spending as much time as I can with nature, learning about new plants and coming across cute little bugs and such. With the absence of my writing in the Serpentimes I thought I might as well continue it somewhere. I did enjoy it so much...PLUS: I am sure future Magizoologists are supposed to carry something with them for note making. 

This week in my garden I have been tending to some of my favourite creatures of all: FAIRIES.

A fairy ring appeared in my garden and I was certainly sure to tell my family not to walk through it if they didn't want bad luck. To appease them I laid out some milk and berries as offerings. I would have left them a few sickles since they are supposed to like shiny things but my mother tells me they don't like human money. Not even the wizarding kind. Perhaps I will as my mother to help me transfigure a little flower into a hat for them. My transfiguration skills are no match for mothers. The Fairies will certainly like that, won't they? Although, I don't know how many there are. I might have to open a hat shop for them all if things go well.

I have started to plan an activity for this September too and I am very excited to see it all mapped out. Hopefully it all goes to plan. I have to think through a few more things before the start of term but I am beyond excited to see where it goes...

Take care,

~ Lucia

5 scales awarded

• 4 weeks later...

Tuesday 14th September 2021

Dear Journal,

Well, what an exciting start to the month it has been! First and foremost I must talk to you about the event I planned this month. Serpentine Souvenirs is running this start of term and I am so pleased with the turn out so far…it’s been so wonderful seeing people get involved. I can’t wait to see how many scales people can rack up.

Secondly…I have fantastic news! On Friday I got to visit Warner Bros Studio Tour! It was breathtaking. I was amazed. The sets, props and costumes made me feel like I had really travelled to The Wizarding World and solidified my love for both production/graphic design and Harry Potter. It was unbelievably inspiring and so so much fun. I got to visit Diagon Alley, knock on 4 Privet Drive, drink Butterbeer, dodge a Dragon in Gringotts, run through the Forbidden Forest and so SO much more. It was honestly magical and I wish I could have stayed the entire week. It was my second visit, ten years apart, and I hope to visit again…perhaps in another ten?

Lastly, and although it contains undertones of sadness, I am very happy with the outcome. Unfortunately my physical health has never been the greatest and I am plagued with constant visits to St Mungos. I had to leave work early yesterday and spent the night in hospital. The doctors now however have directed me in the right way to sorting out all of my problems and hopefully in the next few weeks I will be getting dates for surgery etc…thank Merlin for medicine! I just wish this had came ten years earlier…

There is lots to be getting on with the rest of this month; homework, grading (I’m a student teacher now didn’t you know?) real life university starts again soon, gigs, work, writing articles! I better run before it all gets too much…

Take care,

~ Lucia

5 scales awarded

• 2 months later...

Monday 29th November 2021

Dear Journal,

Oh dear oh dear it has been a while hasn't it? I have just been so helplessly busy...life seems to have caught up with me. I am ambitiously trying to finish all of my university projects this next few weeks as well as keep caught up with HOL tasks and fit working in too. I am hoping sincerely that I have enough time for everything - I feel I have neglected my HOL and social duties slightly and hope when deadlines are over I can focus on HOL more.

I've experienced a lot since last time I wrote. This month I got to visit Edinburgh, a beautiful gothic city that is home to the inspiration for many Harry Potter characters and locations. I got to visit Victoria Street (Diagon Alley) and found Tom Riddle's grave at Greyfrair's Kirkyard. The whole city is a witches heaven - its beautiful and spooky and my legs were absolutely shattered after all the walking! It was so worth it.

I better run, I have lots and lots to do still...

Take care,

~ Lucia