And houses into birthday cakes,
And spreading sugar over lakes.

Smooth and clean and frosty white,
The world looks good enough to bite.
That’s the season to be young
Catching snowflakes on your tongue.

Snow is snowy when it’s snowing
I’m sorry it’s slushy when it’s going.

Do you remember waking up in the morning and seeing snow on the ground outside when you were young?  What was your perfect snow day? Share your winter memories below in writing and/or through pictures. (Please keep any images to a maximum size of 600x600 pixels.)

Living in the Sacramento Valley in central California when I was a kid, my one and only snow day was admittedly glorious.

I think we had a whole two (or three?) inches of snow. Schools were cancelled, lots of people stayed home from work, and, in my family, lots of relatives came over to our home to celebrate.  

We had the house with its bit of backyard lawn which turned into a hill which was fairly steep and of a nice-ish distance, and then an extent of slightly sloping lawn again.  We kids scavenged cardboard boxes and, on our flattened sleds, would (hopefully) zip down the hill. Sometimes we wouldn't make it all the way to the bottom, and would wipe out.  Immense laughter. 

The adults were a bit more pragmatic (we have relatives in Michigan, where snowmobiles are a part of the winter transportation...), but they were able to enjoy the day, with the bright sunshine and the snow all clean and white, and sip their hot drinks  while sitting in chairs and benches on the back porch.

Thanks for the reminder, Scarlet! That was fun.  ❤️

p8GXaxR.jpg

Living in Houston, Texas, we didn't get an opportunity for much snow at all.  I can honestly say that I was quite envious of those kids who came from colder climates and could relate with first-hand knowledge about such foreign concepts as "snow days", "sledding", and "making snow angels".  To my younger self, snow seemed almost magical.  Confession time-in some ways, it still does.

There were. however, one or two occasions that we did see snow.  Not anything grand enough for snow angels, snow days, or sledding, mind you, but snow all the same.  Hey, beggars can't be choosers; it was snow and that's all that mattered.  One memory stands out to me in particular....

As luck would have it, it snowed on the very day that I was sick in bed with the nasty beginnings of the flu.  Needless to say, I was inconsolable.  MY snow was here, and I was not even allowed out in it!! How very fair is that...NOT?!!  In typical kid fashion, I whined, cried, and pouted..but to no avail.  Big brother to the rescue!

Gathering up as much snow as he could, he made a snowman (a little mini snowman actually) and placed it where I could see it through my window.  He even was nice enough to 'decorate' it according to my wishes, including the requisite carrot nose, button eyes, and my own special touch of a brightly colored scarf.  "Frostina" was a hit!  To make the experience even better, he managed to scrounge up some more snow and pack it into a snowball, which he hurried inside to show me.  Working quickly before it would melt, we broke it in half and had an impromptu snowball fight right there in my  room.  I still smile when I think about that day, and the brother who made it all possible.

Thanks, Scarlet, for giving me the chance to share that memory :)

I grew up in Kentucky, where we see all four seasons in all of their glory  :D

When you're a child, you dream of enough snow for school to be canceled, and that would practically guarantee the beginning of a perfect day! My brother and I would play outside with our friends and have a snowball fight, and then we'd find some object our parents had lying around that we could turn into a sled, and dare each other to go sliding down a hill in my yard. Finally, mom would make us all hot cocoa. I got the green glass (it's always been my favorite color, even then), my brother got the blue one, and our friends each had their own favorite glass as well. 

[OUT OF CHARACTER]

The Blizzards of 1993 (if three inches of snow can be called a "blizzard") and 1996 (three feet of snow?  that's more like it) may have been responsible for some fun days off, but neither of them could hold a handle to the winter storm of 1994... there wasn't an enormous amount of snow that year, but the cold weather managed to freeze it so that everything was coated with an inch-thick layer of ice.  No one could drive in that, and everyone thought they were stuck in their homes... but a few of the kids realized that the ice was perfectly skateable.  And so, everyone (myself included) who knew how to ice skate and owned a pair of skates would strap them on and go around the cul-de-sacs, going faster with skates than they normally could while walking!  Hanging out became very possible, and knowing that we were able to get places while most others couldn't gave us a feeling of being part of a secret club...

When I was young, I used to spend long hours of practice at the ice skating rink where I was a member of a synchronized figure skating team for a couple years. I blame that on the fact that some of my favorite snow-related childhood memories involve shoveling snow off the driveway. Clearly when I was younger I had more resistance to the cold, or maybe I was just more carefree.

In any case, I loved it. We lived on a hill and if we didn’t shovel and salt the driveway the day of snow, there was no way we’d get up it. My sister and I spent a lot of time shoveling the long driveway and sometimes got up into the backyard too just for good measure. I don’t remember going in for very many breaks, we just had fun being out there. I think we enjoyed it so much that our neighbors would ask us if we wanted to shovel their driveways too.

I also have a distinct memory of jumping on a trampoline outside on December 20th or so one year. I don’t think any snow was involved but I remember finding it amusing we were able to do that so close to the end of the year.

I don’t have good winter memories really. I absolutely loved Christmas and gifts and obviously Santa, but not the aspect of it being winter. I dislike cold, I wear glasses and so they get really foggy when I am outside and is cold! The best parts of winter (which made this season less awful for me when I was younger) was the ability to build a snowman. My friends and I used to build snowmen outside our house to see who will have the best snowman ever! There was no actually reward for winning but it was just the pride that our neighbours could see our “art” outside their windows! 

• 2 weeks later...

Growing up in Florida, I didn't have much experience with snow unless we went up north, but I still have quite a few fun memories! We go skiing a lot, so most are my memories are centered around that. Learning to ski was quite the effort on my part and I took quite a few tumbles before getting it right, though I still stick to the beginner slopes XD

I remember one time that wasn't skiing related when we decided to go hiking in the snow, so we all put on our warm gear and went to the top of this mountain. There was a ton of snow there and we built a snowman that definitely deserved better designers :P

My grandpa would go up north over Thanksgiving when we were younger and he would put snow in these boxes and bring it back to us so we'd have a snowball fight in our front yard when it was about 90 degrees out! Those snowball fights are my main snow memories, because we did that every year until we started going up north more often. 

• 3 weeks later...

I kind of mentioned this in the “Winter Feast” section but my favourite winter memory was definitely my mum’s cooking after I came back home after a long day outside with my sister! Because of school and extra classes, my sister and I had just one day per week to go outside for some snowball fights (it was usually Sunday after church). My mum used to make a ham and mushroom pie (sometimes also a pasta with a mushroom sauce) every week so we could have something warm to eat!