The Slytherin Dungeons

The Dursleys Departing Task 1

She stopped and looked back. For a moment, Harry had the strangest feeling that she wanted to say something to him.

Just as she's leaving, Petunia acts as if she going to give Harry a little speech, but changes her mind and leaves. What do you think she was going to say?

10 scales if posted by Sunday 20th September, 23:59 HOL time.
5 scales if posted after that but before Sunday 30th September, 23:59 HOL time.

I somehow don't think Petunia had it in her to truly apologize.  While I would love to think that she would have turned around and said "I'm sorry, Harry," I just don't think that was the case.  I do think that she may have felt a twinge of remorse for her past behavior to the boy, but knowing Petunia, I don't think she would have voiced it.  So I imagine it going something like this:

Petunia:  "Harry.."

Harry: "Yes?"

Petunia: "I never asked for any of this, you know.  Your life, no doubt, would have been...much different...had your parents lived.  But they didn't, and here we are.  Neither of us cares for the other, and there is no use pretending we do.  Under different circumstances...Who knows?  But like it or not, it is what it is, and I doubt that we will ever see each other again.  So if I've never given you anything else, let me give you one piece of 'aunt' advise that I hope you have the sense to put into good use.  Don't dwell on the 'what ifs' or 'might have  beens' because it will do very little  but bring you heartache.  Accept what is, and don't try to change it.  And Harry...(she hesitates here, the tiniest flicker of softness in her gaze)..Don't let it make you bitter.  You want to honour your mother?  Then don't end up like..me" (the last word barely whispered as she walks quickly away).  

Oh.   😮      I read the other first and answered this question in there. Goes to get it.

Petunia Dursley -- that "odd, tremulous look" that she gives Harry, in book 7, sort of baffled me. I don't know what was behind it and if it showed that she had changed her choices of who and what she is or if it just means that, inside of her, she knows she's been completely offensively impolite or ill-mannered towards Harry all his life and wished to make amends but on the other hand, if she did that then she would realize that her viewpoint of herself was way off all that time and I don't think she wants to deal with it.

Petunia is an interesting character. I've known 2 sisters where one was a blonde (as is book Petunia) and the other had red hair, and the red head's hair was praised and the blonde's ignored to the pointed where she hated her own hair (and I promise, her hair was stunning, she kept it long, and she a was prom queen).

Petunia seemed really envious of Lily growing up,  especially of her magical abilities. She even wrote to Hogwarts, asking them to accept her as well. I'm also thinking Petunia believed Lily was the parents' favorite, whether that was true or not 

Since she wasn't a witch, I think Petunia told herself she never wanted to be magical in the first place, and decided to be extraordinarily normal. She married a very ordinary man with an ordinary job and they bought an ordinary house. When Dudley came along, I think she promised herself her Dudders would never feel anything but 100% loved and adored, or and never second rate. Not like she did.. She'd spoil him rotten.

Then Lily was murdered. Because of magic. And now she was expected to raise a magical kid in her home, with Dudley. Not only did she never want Dudley to feel second rate to this intruder, just because he could do magic, but the Wizarding world killed her sister 

So we arrive at the present moment. Because of the same maniac who killed her sister, her life is being torn apart. She's losing her nice, normal world to go into hiding, because now her and her family's lives are being threatened. Dudley, of all people, the center of her universe,  could die, because Harry Potter is being targeted.

All because of a magical world she didn't get to take part in and completely turned her back on.  Then her sister lost her life,  she had to raise her sister's magical son, and now a wizard wants him dead and will end the lives of her nice, normal family to get to him 

I personally don't believe Petunia was having any happy thoughts towards Harry as she left her home that day. If she would to put it into words, my guess it would be along the lines of,  "If something happens to my Dudley, I hope you meet a a imilar fate " 

My opinion 

You bring up some very interesting points, February.  It makes sense, that she would resent the magical world for killing her sister, her normal way of life, and threatening her own son.  And Harry Potter was a representation of that world.  I don't know that she hated Harry himself, though, not really.  I think it was her own insecurities and painful memories that soured the relationship rather than anything having to do with Harry himself.  

I think she probably wanted to tell him to take care and stay safe. The points everyone has raised about her resentment and her having to protect her view of herself are all incredibly valid so I think she would have struggled to say anything warmer or more profound. However, her world has just imploded and while she may have resented having Harry around, he was a huge (if unwanted) part of that life for 17 years. Her feelings towards him might be complicated but I think when the chips are down, even if you don't like a person, you don't want to imagine a world where they aren't alive. It could be a belated blooming of basic empathy in the face of very proximate danger or it could just be her trying to cling on to a sense of normalcy. It would also be a very 'normal' and sociably acceptable thing to say. I'm not sure what stopped her - perhaps she was clinging to her previous attitude to give her strength or because she realised how empty and silly the words would have been. Either way, that's what I've always thought she'd have said.