The Slytherin Dungeons

"I should have shown the book to Dumbledore."

What do you believe the outcome would have been if Harry had shown Dumbledore he had a Potions book with notations from the "Half-Blood Prince?" Share your thoughts!

10 scales if posted by Sunday, 29th March, 23:59 HOL time.

5 scales if posted by Tuesday, 31st March,  23:59 HOL time.

I think that Snape being revealed as the author the additions would be found out much sooner, since Dumbledore knows him and appreciates (I hope) his talent with potions. I think that with that revelation, Harry would be wary of the spells found in the book. He certainly would not be Slughorn's favorite in potions and some events, like Harry attacking Draco with Sectusempra, would not happen. The instances where they used Muffliato would perhaps not happen and the Trio could have been overheard while plotting or even discovered in the seventh book at their hideouts.

I don't know. For Harry to have done that, he'd have to really revise his choices of who and what he is, and what he wants to be.

I think if he had done that, it might be that he'd no longer continue to regard the book as a kind of friend. Depending on when Harry showed the book to Dumbledore, it's maybe unlikely that he'd have the Felix Felicis, because he'd not have used it to cheat for the 'challenge' that Slughorn held. There would have been a lot of times where the whole story line would have faltered and/or ground to a halt and taken off in an entirely different direction if Harry had shown the book to Dumbledore.

This may sound strange, but my guess is that Dumbledore would have simply given Harry that wise, knowing look, recommended he use the book wisely, and dropped the subject. I don't even think he would have told the staff. Dumbledore never seemed to mind not being transparent with his staff.  He never had an issue with Gryffindors having an advantage over other Houses. He was all for Harry having additional knowledge, because of the tasks which lay ahead. He may have even chuckled to himself, knowing Harry was enjoying a book with notes written by Professor Snape. All in all, I think nothing would have happened. 

I do think it would have depended entirely on when Harry showed Dumbledor the book. He's very unlikely to have done it early on as he didn't think there was anything particularly remarkable about it beyond the prince being good at potions. Later on it's hard to say, it probably would have stopped the attack on Draco as Dumbledore likely would have planted a seed of doubt in Harry's mind but while that would have changed the plot slightly (we'd have seen that final quidditch match), I don't think it would have changed the ultimate outcome at all. I think that's because the prince's book really has very little to do with the horcrux story line; even if Harry had had to stop using the prince's instructions, I think he still would have managed to get the memory from Slughorn just on the strength of Slughorn's regard for Harry's celebrity status (it would have been more difficult but by no means impossible). If Dumbledore had encouraged him to stop using the book before Ron's birthday though, there is a chance it could have ended in tragedy, so I guess that's the biggest possible change that could have occurred.