The Slytherin Dungeons
February Fortescue

Lord Voldemort's Request Task 39

Professor Trelawney still isn't happy Firenze is teaching, then?" Harry asked.

If you were to study Divination, who would you prefer to study under, Firenze or Professor Trelawney? Why?

10 scales if posted by Sunday, 19th January, 23:59 HOL time.

5 scales if posted by Friday, 31st January, 23:59 HOL time.

Firenze, but my real choice would be neither. Both have incredibly narrow views on Divination, but at least Firenze is admitting that. He is also kinder to Trelawney than she is to him and the environment of his classroom is better. 

On another hand, Trelawney teaches more on the ways of looking into the future with different methods, while Firenze sticks just to the few centaur ways that he knows no student will ever master.

The question asks about which teacher I'd prefer.

I'd choose Firenze.

From what I have read of centaurs, Firenze follows the old ways of divination, based upon the movement of the stars, the planets, the galaxies and how they interact and how those actions and reactions are causes of activities on the planet. Of how the activities on the planet, of the planet herself, of the beings dwelling on it, reflect what is going on in seen in a larger perspective. (Microcosm / macrocosm) This is something which many are aware of and learning -- even if they know that learning such things might take, literally, lifetimes to understand.

chiron.gif

Trelawney, while having a spark of true seer in her, mostly seems to follow the head (intellect) bound process of divination as made by mankind.  I wonder if it is like the Mirror of Erised?   (However, if she could communicate, somehow, the gnosis of a seer, that would be very interesting.) 

However, I'd be absolutely fine to have a teacher, no matter what the species, who utilizes the rune stones, tarot cards, crystal ball in a legitimate and valid manner. To me they are valid methods of divination.

Edit: someone asked about the other things, the rune stones, the tarot cards, the crystal ball, so clarified my post.

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
edited because someone asked about rune stones, etc

I think I'd prefer Trelawney the most. I'm not sure I could take her seriously, and it would probably be a nice break from the other classes. I could practice Astrology, Divination and such to my own liking, but add drama to it and pass the class with ease. She also seems like she has a lot of personality, and it would be a welcomed change of pace. 

February does make a good point in that it would probably be easier to pass Trelawney's class. As a creative person, I'd certainly enjoy all the chances for elaboration and drama presented by her assignments. Though Firenze would probably teach me more, I think his class would require a lot more investment and concentration; there would also be a lot less validation as he'd be so much harder to impress and 'right' answers would be much more difficult to come across.