The Slytherin Dungeons

“— Weasley saves it, well, he’s bound to get lucky sometimes, I suppose. …”

This is the first Quidditch match that Lee Jordan isn't commentating. Lee wasn't always completely impartial, but how do you feel he compares to Zacharias Smith? What do you prefer from your sports commentators?

10 scales if posted by Sunday 8th December, 23:59 HOL time.

5 scales if posted by Tuesday 31st December, 23:59 HOL time.

6dd9f65d72169fb28ddee047a8209e0e.gif

I like a clean who-did-what-while-playing-the-game sort of sports commentary.

There's going to be enough commentary from folks in the stands around me, both pro and con. For an official commentator, I would like to have someone commenting who has some sort of idea of what the moves of the game are and who is doing what and when.

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
adding picture

I prefer that my sport commentators are factual, actually care about their job (so they sound enthusiastic and not bored out of their minds) and are unbiased towards any of the teams. Lee comes close, hitting two of these points, but he is still very much biased towards Gryffindors. Sure, they are his house team, but McGonagall has to correct him enough times that it would get pretty annoying after the first match.

I definitely miss Lee. If we leave aside his undeniable bias (which at least he never made any real attempt to disguise, so it was easier to  filter out), he gave you a much better idea of the actual action. The brief asides he did make about players form or the like never really disrupted the flow of information, whereas Smith just seems very rambling. For me, having a good idea of what's going on from my commentator is even more important as I can't see the game for myself.

I appreciate the play-by-play commentary because the action is sometimes too fast. As everyone else has already mentioned, it's better if the commentator is knowledgeable about the sport and has a passion for it, especially if that excitement is reflected in the voice. Usually, it is nice to have two commentators who can work off each other. The banter can be fun as long as they put the game first and don't get sidetracked.

I like my sports commentary like my news – factual. I appreciate it when the action is conveyed in an accurate and timely manner. But I also appreciate it when a nuanced play is explained. For example, when Viktor Krum successfully executed the Wronsky Feint, it could be described with extreme recognition of the athlete but without any team partiality.

I appreciate some personality with the commentators I listen to, but I also respect the ones who are unbiased. I want the explanation given to be accurate, with interesting tidbits thrown in, with some personality and pizzazz, by a commentator who doesn't side with either team.