The Slytherin Dungeons

“The thing is, that — er — boy who was in here just now, Draco Malfoy, well, he’s a friend of mine, and I want to get him a birthday present, but if he’s already reserved anything, I obviously don’t want to get him the same thing, so … um …”

Harry, Ron, and Hermione spot Draco Malfoy having a conversation with Borgin, asking about an object. Hermione's curiosity is piqued and she speaks with Borgin to see if she can learn any information about the item. I think she gives it her best shot, but she isn't very convincing. 

If you were Hermione, what would you say to convince Borgin to tell you about the object?

10 scales if posted by Sunday 13th October, 23:59 HOL time.

5 scales if posted by Thursday 31st October, 23:59 HOL time.

Edited by February Fortescue

I would just ask him what the things are. Where they came from, what they are supposed to do. Then I'd ask if he knew if any were excluded from being at Hogwarts. I wouldn't ask how much any of them were. I also wouldn't hum cheerily.  :D

I would not say anything. Hermione is a very smart person, I think she should have been able to research it somewhere, so that is something that I, as Hermione, would have done as well. Or, since it is most likely a cursed object that a pureblood or an auror would know about, I would ask someone else with expertise in that, like Shacklebolt or Tonks.

I agree with Tarma and Maxim. Hermione does best when she’s Hermione and that would be gathering information and continuing her research later. She could start by asking Mr. Borgin if he had a catalog. He would undoubtedly dismiss her, but you never know. She might also try to initiate a conversation about dark objects and then ask him if everything in the store was for sale.   

Personally, I would walk as confidently into the store as possible and start getting Mr Borgin to gather the items that I say I want to "buy" together. I'd start asking after everything that was out of sight behind the cabinet, until I got to something he said was reserved. This does, of course, rely on him not realising I have no way to pay for any of this and kicking me out. 

so first of all, if i was Hermine, id switch the clothes and wear something dark, like for example something in bellartrixes style.Because i am extra id even do a fake death eater tattoo. I feel like it would make the first impression dark. And i wouldnt walk in right after malfoy, it 'd be too suspicious, maybe like 10-15 min later. After walking in id be straightforward and act intimidating. Id say i got a very important task , that has to be done or there would be severe consequences. Id try to manipulate him into thinking that i am a highranked Death Eater. Id say not long ago my partner Draco was supposed to come and talk with you about a certain thing, that is the key of our task, and i am here to check on it.

why do i feel that it actually could work

Edited by Mila Quinn

I feel like everyone generally knows Hermione is a friend of famous Harry Potter, so I would glamour a part of myself so I would seem like a different person. Perhaps I would change the shape of my nose or straighten my hair for a brief moment. I would pretend I was Pansy, in my mannerisms, and ask flirtatiously about what a boy at school would like from a secret admirer. I would try to hint that the boy was Draco without being too obvious, such as saying, "What would a boy from a prominent wizarding family, from good stock mind you, enjoy as a courting gift?" 

But either way, I feel like Borgin would kick Hermione out of the shop without telling her what Draco was interested in. 

I agree with Maxim and Phoenix: I think Borgin would toss Hermione out of the shop. I think she has little to no chance of finding out what Draco is up to. If I were Hermione, I would begin by doing some research and seeing what I can find out on my own. After than, I'd discuss the situation with someone in the Order I really trust. 

If I really had to know, there's no way I'd go back as Hermione Granger. I might polyjuice myself again, and hopefully get it right this time. I'd do my best Draco Malfoy imitation, and see how many details I can get Borgin to volunteer. 

I agree with everyone who's said that it wasn't terribly Hermione-like to go in in the first place. I remember wen I first read this bit back when it came out, just sitting there wondering why her and the two boys thought this was a remotely sensible idea. Obviously she's not going to get any info out of him. Then again, I'm not sure how far research would have gotten her: there are many more dark items than are in the shop and she didn't have a lot of info to narrow it down with. On the whole, if I'd gone in at all, I'd have probably waited  a while longer and tried to be more surreptitious when I did go in. I'd have relied on my eyes and tried to take in as muchas possible (including labels), so that I stood more of a chance of finding leads when I began to research. A list of known dark objects from the ministry would probably have helped a lot, though I'm not sure how she could have gotten one of those out of Mr Weasley.