The Slytherin Dungeons

In some of the stories we've been exposed to, villains actually started out as one of the good guys but due to certain circumstances, they found themselves turning to the dark side (think Anakin Skywalker). On the other side of the coin, sometimes villains have a change of heart and go to great lengths to redeem themselves (Severus Snape is a good example of that).

What would it take for you to switch sides, and become more aligned with villainy or heroism? Feel free to answer honestly or humorously.

Your answer should be at least 5 sentences in length in order to earn 5 emerald shards, which will be going to the Heroes.

Prompt provided by Prof. Amy Lupin

There's a difference between changing sides and changing who you are.  A major political figure of the past century, well-known for his persuasive way of speaking (he was an actor before he was a politician) switched alignments because, in his words, "I didn't leave the <party name deliberately obscured here> party.  The party left me."  In other words, his positions and beliefs never changed; instead, the way society labeled those things were what changed.  And so it is with 'hero' or 'villain' with me:  while I know what I stand for and what I believe, society's own labels can and do change over time.  And if they switch so that my values are now 'heroic' or 'villainous', then that will make me a 'hero' or 'villain', respectively!

I agree with Will that sometimes how the hero and villain are classified change, so people's alliances do as well. In this case, people don't change their ways, their 'side' did, so they switch sides to accommodate for this. For me, if someone I cared about were threatened and switching sides would improve the situation, then I would switch. We see with Narcissa Malfoy that she seemed to be with the Death Eaters to protect her family. However, if I began to slowly change my mindset and my beliefs became more aligned with the other side, then I would most likely become a hero or villain depending on what side I was on in the beginning. Sometimes, our beliefs change as we get older and gain more experience with life and thus we become a 'hero' or 'villain' instead of what we were at first. 

I don't think there is anything that would make me change sides. That being said, I think sometimes the ends justify the means. That is, sometimes I might need to do bad or "evil" things for a good reason. This is especially true when concerning my friends or loved ones, or if it means stopping a big bad guy. An example might be stealing something before a bad guy can, or shooting a bad guy so he'll let go of the hostage.

Who has the best coffee?

What about books -- do you have a great library?

Or foods ... do you have a shawarma joint nearby?  "There's a shawarma joint about two blocks from here. I don't know what it is, but I wanna try it."

Make me an offer, if nothing else I'll know where to go for a 'cuppa hot'.  :)

*cough*

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
someone actually asked if I was serious with this ...

I don't think it would take much to get me to change sides. If I believe in what the other side stands for, I go there. If I like the people more on the other side, I go there. If the location of the other side is nicer, I go there. If it looks like my side is about to collapse, I go there. If it looks like we have no chance of success and we will be hurt, I change sides. Really, you shouldn't rely on me to fight for your side, as at the first sign of trouble I'll probably change sides. 

On 6/14/2019 at 9:02 PM, Will Lestrange said:

There's a difference between changing sides and changing who you are.  A major political figure of the past century, well-known for his persuasive way of speaking (he was an actor before he was a politician) switched alignments because, in his words, "I didn't leave the <party name deliberately obscured here> party.  The party left me."  In other words, his positions and beliefs never changed; instead, the way society labeled those things were what changed.  And so it is with 'hero' or 'villain' with me:  while I know what I stand for and what I believe, society's own labels can and do change over time.  And if they switch so that my values are now 'heroic' or 'villainous', then that will make me a 'hero' or 'villain', respectively!

Seriously, not shawarma.  Pizza. That's it!

*cough*

Actually, when I read what Will wrote, inside I felt *snap*. That's sort of it.

I think that seeing the choices that others have made and watching the consequences of those choices, might shine a light on issues and ways of being which I'd never considered, but had accepted as part of me because ... that is the way it is. But then I become consciously aware of them and choose otherwise.  In other words, I recognize and accept that that has never been a part of who and what I truly and and so I choose to be only who and what I truly am.

Along those same lines, though, I remember Hawkeye when Loki (.......) him. Forced his own will upon Hawkeye, and so Hawkeye apparently 'changed'. "Barton's been compromised." Black Widow learns Barton's been Compromised. Did Hawkeye really change his allegiance? Or was he forcibly 'changed' and his real self hidden under layers of compulsions and lies to which, for which, he had no immunities? Obviously, I feel that Hawkeye never did change his allegiance, he was simply manipulated into acting out the will of someone else who felt himself entitled to such behavior.

I can be highly emotional: jealousy and impulsive anger are my biggest character flaws. In the heat of the moment, I think that might cause me to switch sides. But I think it's as Arianna said: it might not be a conscious 'switch' but instead the choice to act in a way that might be called villainous while still considering myself a hero. In a way, I think this is more dangerous than making an actual decision to relabel myself or switch allegiances. A lot of atrocities have been committed by people trying to protect what they love or, worse, because they genuinely believe that good will come of it.

I think, similarly to what some have said, that I might not be acting as a villain while being cognizant of it. My sarcasm, I think, can get villainous without my trying to make it that way. One example I have is that I said a coworker 'quit' a program that we worked on together for a few years (talking to someone else) and the person I had said that to told her about what I had said. I very much like and respect this person, I was really just playing with my words. She was so upset she was shaking and spoke to me in a very low voice. We're fine with each other now, but I felt terrible that I had hurt her that badly. In that situation, I was accidentally a villain.