The Slytherin Dungeons

The first IRC activity for Emerald Cup: Heroes versus Villains will be in #slytherin this Saturday, 8 June at 2:30 AM HOL time (Friday, 7 June at 9:30 PM EDT).

We'll be running Wiki Races!

Because I haven't had much extra time lately, here is a slightly modified description of Wiki Races originally written by Will Lestrange for our first ever Emerald Cup:

Here's how it works:

1) At the start of the game, I will announce two terms which correspond to Wikipedia pages (e.g. Wicked and Mathematics). The first term will be "Emerald Cup" themed.

2) Participants will try to find a chain of links off of Wikipedia, starting from the first term and ending at the second term.

In this case, one could go

Wicked -> Kansas -> Intelligent design -> Scientific theory -> Mathematics.

3) The winner will submit their answer to me; once it's approved I will share the name of the winner (and the answer) with the rest of the players.

4) The winner then proposes the next challenge: if the previous chain started at A and ended at B, the new chain will start at B and end at C, where C is chosen by the winner. (For example, the winner could ask us to start at Mathematics and end at Green anaconda.)

NOTE: All standard HOL rules apply for this game; all destination links should point to HOL-appropriate pages.

You will receive 10 emerald shards for participating in Wiki Races and an additional 5 emerald shards for each race you win. You get to decide whether you want your emerald shards to help out the Heroes or the Villains.

Those who are unable to attend Wiki Races can still try to make chains after the event. I will make a forum post with a list of the starting and ending points of each race. These people will get 2 emerald shards for each chain submitted (up to a maximum of 10 emerald shards).

See how quickly you can get from one Wikipedia page to another!

1 - Ursula ---> Carol Danvers
2 - Carol Danvers ---> Excalibur
3 - Excalibur ---> Baymax
4 - Baymax ---> Joker
5 - Joker ---> Rey

You will receive 2 emerald shards for each leg of the race you successfully complete. Additionally, the person with the shortest overall path will receive a 5 emerald shard bonus.

E-mail your complete paths to slytherin.emeraldcup [at] gmail.com (Subject: "Wiki Races"). Please include your HOL name, house, and which side (Heroes or Villains) you want your emerald shards to go to in your e-mail. You may choose a different side for each leg of the race if you wish.

Sent in by:

Arianna Stonewater (Heroes)
Will Lestrange (Villains) 
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black (Heroes and Villains)
Prof. Amy Lupin (Heroes)

The Heroes and Villains ended with a tie* score for SQuiSh!
*a bug detected by the Heroes gave them 10 bonus points

For those interested, these were the categories and clues:

Whose Sidekick
1 - Robin
2 - Donkey
3 - Chewbacca
4 - Iago
5 - Diablo
6 - Kato

Character by Actors
1 - Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Tom Holland
2 - Michelle Pfeiffer, Halle Berry, Anne Hathaway
3 - Lou Ferrigno, Eric Bana, Mark Ruffalo 
4 - Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger, Joaquin Phoenix
5 - Christopher Reeve, Tom Welling, Henry Cavill
6 - Dustin Hoffman, Jason Isaacs, Colin O’Donoghue

Alter Ego
1 - Tony Stark
2 - Anakin Skywalker
3 - Oswald Cobblepot
4 - Wade Wilson
5 - Helen Parr
6 - Raven Darkholme

Name the Disney Song
1 - "Ain't no passing craze / It means no worries / For the rest of your days / It's our problem-free philosophy"
2 - "Let's get down to business / To defeat the Huns / Did they send me daughters / When I asked for sons?"
3 - “Unbelievable sights / Indescribable feeling / Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling / Through an endless diamond sky”
4 - “It’s time to see what I can do / To test the limits and break through / No right, no wrong, no rules for me / I’m free”
5 - “If she doesn’t scare you / No evil thing will / To see her is to / Take a sudden chill”
6 - "I just want to see the floating lanterns gleam / And with every passing hour / I'm so glad I left my tower / Like all you lovely folks, ________" 

Fill in the Quote
1 - Lord Voldemort: "There is no good and evil, there is only _____ and those too weak to seek it."
2 - Ben Parker: “With great power, comes great __________.”
3 - Batman: “I am the __________, I am the night… I AM BATMAN.”
4 - Bruce Banner: “Don’t make me _____. You wouldn’t like me when I’m _____.”
5 - Joker: “Have you ever danced with the _____ in the pale moonlight?”
6 - Mr. Incredible: “No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in ________ again.”

Words in “EMERALD SHARD”
1 - Location where Quidditch originated
2 - Deathly Hallow wand wood
3 - St. Mungo’s employee
4 - Trelawney’s Divination classroom is accessed using this
5 - Luna Lovegood’s Patronus
6 - Seven letter synonym of ginger (or Weasley)

See how many you can get!

I know it's short notice, but if there are three or more people, I'll run a logic puzzle race tonight in #slytherin: Tuesday, 25 June @ 2:30 am HOL time (Monday, 24 June @ 9:30 pm EDT). There will likely be another race later on in the week, so let me know when you are free.

You will receive 5 emerald shards for participating in a logic puzzle race and 10 emerald shards if you successfully solve the puzzle (15 emerald shards total). Those who are unable to make it to the logic puzzle race have the opportunity to solve the puzzle for 10 emerald shards after the race is complete.

The first three to solve the logic puzzle will receive additional emerald shards:
15 emerald shards for 1st place
10 emerald shards for 2nd place
5 emerald shards for 3rd place

Pretty good turnout for an impromptu logic puzzle race! 

1st - Cody Lewis - 30 emerald shards for Heroes
2nd - Prof. Tarma Amelia Black - 25 emerald shards for Heroes
3rd - Astor Arensin - 20 emerald shards for Villains
4th - Will Lestrange - 15 emerald shards for Villains
5th - Adaleine Shuster - 5 emerald shards for Villains

For those who were unable to make it to the race, here is the puzzle:

A duelling tournament has been organized for Emerald Cup! Heroes and villains who are interested in participating in the tournament are matched up. They must decide on one weapon to use during the duel. Each duel takes place in a different colored arena.

From the clues provided, determine which hero and villain are duelling, their weapon of choice, and the color of the arena.

1. Katniss is facing off against Magneto, but Superman isn’t battling Cersei. Despite his proficiency with swords, that is not the weapon agreed upon for Zorro’s duel. 
2. Five different duels involve Loki, Superman, the one using swords, the one in the magenta arena, and Katniss.
3. Either Yoda or Superman is using a wand. Ursula will be in the amber arena. The duel in the magenta arena will feature lightsabers, not bolas.
4. Cersei is duelling in the turquoise arena, not the grey arena. Neither Superman nor Katniss is battling Bellatrix.
5. Yoda, the one in the violet arena, the one with pistols, Aladdin, and Bellatrix are five different duels. 

(Heroes: Aladdin, Katniss, Superman, Yoda, Zorro)
(Villains: Bellatrix, Cersei, Loki, Magneto, Ursula)

E-mail your solution to slytherin.emeraldcup [at] gmail.com (Subject: "Duelling Logic Puzzle") for 10 emerald shards. Please include your HOL name, house, and which side (Heroes or Villains) you want your emerald shards to go to in your e-mail.

Also solved by:

Prof. Amy Lupin

There will be another logic puzzle race in #slytherin: Saturday, 29 June @ 2:30 am HOL time (Friday, 28 June @ 9:30 pm EDT).

You will receive 5 emerald shards for participating in a logic puzzle race and 10 emerald shards if you successfully solve the puzzle (15 emerald shards total). Those who are unable to make it to the logic puzzle race have the opportunity to solve the puzzle for 10 emerald shards after the race is complete.

The first three to solve the logic puzzle will receive additional emerald shards:
15 emerald shards for 1st place
10 emerald shards for 2nd place
5 emerald shards for 3rd place

Final IRC activity of this year's Emerald Cup is now complete!

1st - Will Lestrange - 30 emerald shards for Villains
2nd - Prof. Tarma Amelia Black - 25 emerald shards for Heroes
Astor Arensin - 5 emerald shards for Villains

For those who were unable to make it to the race, here is the puzzle:

In an attempt to prevent Thanos from acquiring all of the Infinity Stones, Doctor Strange is using the Time Stone to send his fellow Avengers to different centuries from the 18th to the 22nd century. Each Avenger will take one of the other five Infinity Stones and hide it in a city in a completely different universe, such as Coruscant.

1. Of the Avenger hiding the stone in Atlantis and the one sent to the 20th century, one had the Mind Stone and the other was Scarlet Witch.
2. The one sent to the 22nd century, the one carrying the Soul Stone, and the one hiding a stone in Hogsmeade are all different Avengers. Captain Marvel didn’t have the Reality Stone.
3. The person who went to Hogsmeade was there one century before Iron Man was sent somewhere. The one with the Power Stone was sent two centuries before the Avenger who went to Gotham City.
4. Hawkeye didn’t go to Rivendell. The person with the Space Stone was sent one century before the Avenger who went to Atlantis.
5. Between the person who went to Atlantis and Black Widow, one had the Power Stone and the other was sent to the 18th century.

E-mail your solution to slytherin.emeraldcup [at] gmail.com (Subject: "Infinity Stones Logic Puzzle") for 10 emerald shards. Please include your HOL name, house, and which side (Heroes or Villains) you want your emerald shards to go to in your e-mail.

Also solved by:

Iverian Gnash
Prof. Amy Lupin