The Slytherin Dungeons
Will Lestrange

June 2019 Challenge: Game Boy Tetris

Even though there are a few days left in May's challenge, I have decided to post the final Arcade Club challenge of the academic year a few days early! 

A few months ago, our Head of House, Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis, wondered how long it would take for us to get to a form of one of her favourite games, Tetris, while maintaining alphabetical order.  It turns out we can finish the year by playing a round of Game Boy Tetris!

Tetris was invented in 1984 by a Russian computer game designer named Alexey Pajitnov as a computer game.  In this game, you are confronted with "tetrominoes" (which are shapes that consist of four squares attached together in some way).  At any point in time, exactly one tetromino is falling; you can move it to the left or to the right as well as rotate it so that it can better fit into its destination location.  Your goal is to position the tetrominoes so that every single square in a horizontal line is occupied; doing so will remove that line from the board and, depending on the version, give you some bonus points.  You can "fill" or "clear" multiple lines at once; if you have the right tetromino (the one with the four squares forming a straight line) in the right place at the right time, you can fill four lines at once for a "Tetris"!

Over the years, the Muggles have come up with zillions of different variants of that game; my personal favourite was the one found in an arcade console.  But possibly the most played version was the one that came with a Muggle gaming console known as the "Game Boy", which was released in 1989 - and this is the version that you will be playing for the challenge!  In the standard "A-Type" version, you go up one level each time you fill 10 lines in total.  Higher levels mean the pieces fall faster, but they also mean more points when you clear lines (and yes, you get bonuses for clearing multiple lines at once)!

For this month's challenge, you want to go to THIS LINK to play Tetris.  Choose "1 player" and then "A-Type" for your game mode (the music is up to you); feel free to start at any level.  Screencap your best performance (and post it in this thread) by June 30 at 11:59 PM HOL!  

-Participation at all will earn you 5 scales.

-If you score 1000 points or higher - or beat Level 1, your screencap will earn you 10 scales instead of 5.

-The top three scores of the month will get extra scales (25, 20, and 15 respectively for the month instead of 5 or 10) as well as special awards!

-For additional bonus scales:  if you can reach the "Game Over" screen with a score of exactly 1 point, post that as an additional screencap (in addition to your 'top score' screencap) for an additional 5 scales!

NOTE:  You can choose "1 player" and "A-Type" by pressing the ENTER key twice; even though the options look like things you can click, you actually need to make your choices with the keyboard!

PS:  Feel free to edit your post throughout the month as you improve your score!

I actually got the aslkdflsdfjklskdfj game to work, after Will pointed stuff out! YAY.  *cough*

If and when I can get it to play without horrible lag and jumping, I might improve my score. But at least, this month, I HAVE a score!  *cheer*

EDIT:

Got to play the game a bit more before it froze up totally on me.

Arcade-Club-June-2019-tetris-4531.png

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
played a bit longer this time :)

I can't get a screenshot on the device I'm on. So far my high score for A-Type level 2 was 275. I am going to keep working on that score, and hopefully later on I will get a screenshot. 

Edited by Adaleine Shuster
Score got higher

the irony of the game over heart, as I remember from being much younger... I was hoping to do better, but at least I made level 11?

EDIT:  now that's more like it!  may still be far from #1, but I made it through a few more levels this time!

82o8a0f.png

FINAL STANDINGS FOR JUNE 2019

1st place:  Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis - 130277 points (Gold Joystick)

2nd place:  Will Lestrange - 88959 points (Silver Joystick)

3rd place:  Prof. Amy Lupin - 76816 points (Bronze Joystick)

But you still have a chance to compete against these scores at the Living High Score Board!