The Slytherin Dungeons

GDcZkLV.jpg

Whether you are a fan of Peter Pan or Captain Hook (Disney version pictured above) or neither, the battles between them are very entertaining. What other heroes and villains in literature, movies, comic books, etc. do you enjoy seeing go head-to-head?

Each post is worth 5 emerald shards for the Villains. You may post up to three times for a maximum of 15 emerald shards. Your post must be at least five sentences in length and you cannot post back to back. Try to respond to what others have posted!

It is not a conventional hero versus villain battle, but I am captivated by the battles between Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner.  Wile E. Coyote has a goal - to eat roadrunner - and plans to capture a specific roadrunner, but the roadrunner in question seems to always escape by consistent dumb luck, taunting Wile E. Coyote with his 'meep meep/beep beep' sounds.  And so it continues, up to and including the one time Wile E. Coyote even caught the Roadrunner but was too small to do anything with his prize!  Ultimately, I think of Wile E. Coyote as representing failed Slytherin ambition (and his name sounds a lot like my own!)  Interestingly enough, though, Chuck Jones (who came up with Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner) believes that the audience's sympathies are meant to be with Wile E. Coyote - which ironically makes him the hero even though he is trying to eat the other character that shares screen time with him!

A very favorite battle between a hero and a villain (but who is the villain and who is the hero?)* is that epic sword fight between the Man in Black (aka The Dread Pirate Roberts) and Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride. Both the book and the movie are epic and awesome in their description and flavour. Good footwork, fancy repartee and astonishing sword play (in the movie, it was done by the actual actors throughout (except for the gymnastic thing/flip). ** The sword fight starts out with the testing of each other, a feint. Then they fight, both fighting left-handed. Then, of a sudden, Inigo declares that he is not left-handed and switches to his right hand ... and so does the Man in Black!

The fight ends with the Man in Black declining to kill Inigo, but knocking him out. ***

* The Man in Black is the Dread Pirate Roberts, but he is also Westley. Inigo Montoya is one of the persons who kidnapped Buttercup.

** "They are reluctant-to-kill-each-other fighters. “You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you,” Inigo says. “You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die,” the Man in Black replies."

*** After a little crafty acrobatic work, the Man in Black knocks the sword out of Inigo’s hands. Montoya drops to his knees and says, “Kill me quickly.” The Man in Black tells him he would as soon destroy a stained-glass window as an artist like him and conks him over the head. The Man in Black says, “Please understand, I hold you in the highest respect,” before he trots off to find his Princess Buttercup.

Those two quotes (** and ***) are found with a Google search of "the man in black and end of sword fight"

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner definitely brings back childhood memories! That, as well as Tom and Jerry were fun rivalries with lots of chasing action.

Any well-choreographed sword fight is exciting to watch and the one in The Princess Bride is one of the best! 

Batman versus the Joker is at the top of my list. Joker is just so chaotic that you never really know what to expect. I like how their confrontations typically involve mind games.

I enjoyed the original X-Men movie trilogy and the relationship between Professor X and Magneto is interesting to me. It was great that the prequels were made, which reveal both of their backstories and their early partnership. And, of course, their fallout due to differing views.

Sometimes members of the same team battle too... No one can forget the epic fight between Iron Man and Captain America! 

That battle from The Princess Bride is amazing! It was really well choreographed, and it had me wishing I could do some of the flips featured. 

The Battle of Hogwarts is a favorite of mine, of course. Bellatrix Lestrange and Molly Weasley dueling was my favorite head to head in that battle. I knew she could do it! 

Star Wars... lots of battles over there. I didn't have a favorite, though. 

I can't currently think of any other battles... I will update if I think of any 🙂

On 5/28/2019 at 11:22 PM, Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis said:

I enjoyed the original X-Men movie trilogy and the relationship between Professor X and Magneto is interesting to me. It was great that the prequels were made, which reveal both of their backstories and their early partnership. And, of course, their fallout due to differing views.

Same here. I like X-men battles because those are battles between concepts not just power. I'm more into 'battle of views' than 'battle of power'. One of my favorite movie battles is from Doctor Strange movie, the "Dormammu I've come to bargain" battle. :lol:

I enjoyed novel Unwind by Neal Shusterman. In the novel parents are allowed to sign an order for their children between the ages of 13 and 18 to be unwound - a concept where one stops existing in the current form but continues to live on as separate body parts. One side agrees with such an option because it is a solution that came due to the Second Civil War, but the other side doesn't (the affected side) due to ethics and at least 13 years of singular existence experience.

i like the battle between

Syndrome vs The incredibles

Ursula vs Eric

batman vs the joker

Iron man vs mandarin

Wow, Will,  I had no idea the creator intended While E. Coyote to be the one we were rooting for but now that I think about it, it makes sense. We tend to empathise with the one who keeps failing, whatever they're trying to do.

What that made me think about is the reboot of She-ra that's on Netflix right now (very slight spoilers). A lot of people have praised the dynamic between Adora and her old friend Catra who she leaves behind when she becomes She-ra. Whenever they fight, you have to feel for Catra as she's obviously hurting and channeling that into her villainous dealings. Sometimes it's nice to have a truly evil villain who you can love to hate but at others, a more nuanced fight is welcome. This is particularly important when the good guy has been given massive supernatural powers.

Edited by Sky Alton

I guess I will continue with my battle of concepts. ^_^

The Giver Quartet's first book is utopian views vs dystopian views. It's one of my favorite books from the Quartet. Through this series there are numerous battles; one of the common ones is 'battle against greed'. I'm not a big fan of the second and third books because they aren't well connected to the first one. The fourth book manages to connect all three books and create a decent story. Also in the fourth book there was an inner battle on several occasions, one where one must overcome oneself, and another where one must sacrifice something physical to gain access to something the heart desires.

You guys are bringing back all kinds of memories! Right now, with my daughter, I'm enjoying all of the Mickey Mouse Vs. Pete battles in whatever version they take! My current favorite is Captain Mickey Mouse vs. Peg-Leg Pete! There's a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episode where they help Goofy's Grandpappy, Captain Goof-Beard, who is voiced by the legendary Dick Van Dyke!

I also used to love Dora (the Exploradora) vs. Swiper the Fox! I loved watching with my younger sister and yelling "Swiper no swiping!" at the tv!

tenor.gif

Responding to the ones above that I've seen or read about ...

I remember *meep meep* and Wile E Coyote always trying to kill the Road Runner. I think I most enjoy the tunnel painted onto the hillside, with the road leading through it, and Wile E. Coyote runs into it ... but then is run over by something coming out of the tunnel.  
I don't remember Batman versus Joker so much, but then I didn't like Joker. I don't like clowns ...
I finally SAW that battle, between Iron Man and Cap! I'd not watched Civil War until just a few days ago. That was incredible awesome; yes, I will remember that.
Bellatrix Lestrange and Molly Weasley ...  Don't attack any of Molly's children in front of Molly. Especially don't attack the 'baby' of the family. That was just incredibly suicidal on the part of Bellatrix!  
I have Doctor Strange on hold -- I want to watch that movie -- and see the battle scene in it. :)
I think the 'new' fight I want to mention is that epic battle against the Death Star and Han and Chewey coming in .... I remember the first time I saw that, I (quite literally) cheered. OH WOW.