The Slytherin Dungeons

Favorite Movies of All Time

Cody Lewis

I've been working on my Journey of the Hero project, and I chose William Thatcher as my subject. William is the main protagonist in my favorite movie of all time, A Knight's Tale. It's a movie centered around the medieval sport of jousting, but it's not your typical historically accurate flick. This becomes evident during the opening credits, where William rides into the tournament to the tune of Queen's We Will Rock You.

So now I'm curious. What are some of your favorite movies of all time?

Two of my all-time favourite movies are Serendipity and Under the Tuscan Sun. I've watched both at least twice, and will likely watch them again at some stage. Another movie that has stayed with me is Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. This movie took me by surprise as the title didn't really catch my interest, but I ended up watching it with my brother and his girlfriend (now wife) after missing a plane back to university. It made an otherwise miserable experience quite enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

Finding Forrester! It's the story of an up-and-coming writer and his mentor. I really like it when people at different stages of their lives help each other out. There's also basketball involved, which I used to be very into. My favorite line from this movie is: "The key to a woman's heart is an unexpected gift at an unexpected time." 

A close second is Minority Report. I loved the overall mystery and thriller feel of the film. The theme of choice is very powerful. I remember going to see this in theaters with some friends and telling my dad he would like it. He made a face and said, "But Tom Cruise is in it." Eventually, he did watch it and he liked it.

My favorite animated movie is Meet the Robinsons. There's time travel! All the characters are fun and quirky. It teaches you the importance of family and to be aware of how you treat those around you. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pirates of the Caribbean is my favorite movie of all time. CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow is such a carefree pirate that just gets life fed to him. I think many people don’t realize Jack Saparrow barely does anything, it’s like real life, we get fed a little string slowly and it decides what happens to us. A pirates life for me.

Grave of the Fireflies or any other Studio Ghibli movie I love. This movie is beautiful and haunting and one of my favorites for war films.

Paddington is a great comedy, both the book and movie are absolutely hilarious and I suggest you watch/read it!

I got a new favorite recently, The Imitation Game. This is my "favorite of the month" and I truly think it's a great films, with wonderful acting and plot.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My favourite movies are mostly Marvel / DC and Disney. 

Marvel Favourites - 

Thor, Captain Marvel, Venom, Gardians of the Galaxy, Ant-man, Dark Phoenix and literally all...^_^

DC - ( I have few chosen one from this )

Wonder Woman at 1st ( Of course that's no hard choice :D ) , Aqua man, Sucide Squad and Flash. 

Disney - I don't have choices for this I love all the movies but so far my favourite movies are Mulan and Lion King. 

• 1 year later...

Oh my god I'm so happy this is something everyone is talking about. I haven't read all the replies so I'm unsure if anyone else loves this movie but here it is. CALL ME BY YOUR NAME!!! Truly the movie (mostly the book) completely changed my life! It was the most beautiful, heartbreaking story I've ever had the honor of reading. Please everyone watch this movie and read the book if you can it's amazing. 

Edited by Ainsley Ashwell

• 3 months later...

Some of my favourite films are Trainspotting, A Boy Called Sailboat, Dunkirk, The Prestige, Spirited Away, Pans Labyrinth, Shaun of The Dead, Train to Busan, 50/50, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, American Psycho and Inception (and literally anything else with Tom Hardy in it hehehe)

Anything Tim Burton and Studio Ghibli I adore with my whole heart too~

• 2 weeks later...

Although it has some adult themes, I've always loved The Dead Poet's Society. It's about teenagers who attend a private boy's school run by teachers whose goal is to train them for careers in respectable fiends such as banking and medicine, but then along comes a teacher, played by Robin Williams, who believes that self-expression, creativity, and art are equally important.

Unless you are over 18, do not watch this movie without a parental consent. If you are over 18, it does include someone taking his life, so beware of that if you decide to watch it. 

I like watching TomorrowlandHelp! I shrunk my teacher and Home Alone 1.

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix is also one of my favourites.

Then there's a movie named 3 Idiots, it's my all-time favourite comedy movie for all ages.

• 2 weeks later...

I love a good old comedy movie like "Two white chicks" and "Home Alone" series,I love all the "Harry Potter" movies. In plus I love any romantic movie, action oriented like "Fast and Furious" series (I can't wait to watch F9) and I also love Christmas movies, but who doesn't? They are amazing, magical and filled with love. 

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I think besides the Harry Potter movies (Specifically Half-Blood Prince...Harry's so sassy I love it)  I'd have to say Sweeney Todd: Demon Barber of Fleet Street. If you don't know what it is you should go watch it. right now. Its got Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix), Alan Rickman (snape), Jamie Campbell Bower, and other great people but its very good its an old musical, its great. And its based in old gray London and its very suspenseful a little bit of twisted romance and murder. Go watch it right now I already told you

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty awful at picking favorites, but I agree with all of the Studio Ghibli love in this thread already and would say Howl's Moving Castle is a great one!  I also recently watched Big Fish which is one of my friend's favorites and enjoyed it a lot!

I have a few favorites that I will always re-watch when given the chance.

Captain America and the Winter Soldier. Hocus Pocus. Cinderella (1997). The Outsiders. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Those are what instantly pop into my head when I think about favorite movies anytime someone asks this question haha. (In this order too lol)

• 2 weeks later...

Besides Harry Potter. I have a lot but they’re mostly all horror movies like, the Scream movies, number one favorite movies. I rewatch them all the time. I find myself watching the same movies over and over again. Hocus-Pocus is a favorite, just recently watched the second one and loved it. Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween. Grease is top ten. But reallly anything horror or thriller, I love slasher movies. But as long as it catches my attention I’ll watch it.