The Slytherin Dungeons
Sign in to follow this  
Prof. Amy Lupin

New Releases

I always enjoy reading up on new games that are coming out. Spiel, one of the biggest boardgame conventions worldwide is next month in Essen, Germany -- and in reading up on that, I’ve come across some titles that I’m looking forward to trying out. There are other titles that came out and/or were announced earlier this year that I'm also interested in.

The designer in me is stoked for Pantone: The Game. The Pantone Colour Matching System plays such an important role in design, particularly in the non-digital space, and it will be interesting to see how this gets turned into a game.

As a fan of Century: Spice Road, I'm quite keen to try out Century: Eastern Wonders. I've gone backwards and forwards on whether I actually want to own it. I like that the game builds on the original game -- and that the two can be combined to create a third game. This concept intrigued me when I first heard of it, but after watching a video on how it gets played, I feel as though the two games shine best when played individually.

As the latest title in the Key series, Key Flow caught my interest as well. I really enjoyed Keyflower (although it's been a while since I last played it), and I've been curious to try out designer Richard Breese's other games.

Terraforming Mars has two expansions coming out this year, Colonies and Prelude. I'm looking forward to seeing how these two affect gameplay. Prelude, especially, seems to have had a positive reception so far.

Are there any new releases that interest you?

Since we have all the other Clank! games, the Clank! In! Space! Apocalypse! expansion was a must-buy. Who could turn down a game with FOUR exclamation points in its title? It's been a busy week, so it still hasn't been played yet. But I'm looking forward to seeing how the new "black cube" mechanics affect the game.

This next game is geared towards teaching children different board game mechanics, but I'd like to get my hands on it. Paleolithic is a game about historical Taiwan! That's where my family is from, so I'm sure my parents would definitely approve of it.

Sign in to follow this