The Slytherin Dungeons
Sign in to follow this  
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis

Storage Space

Where do you store your board games? Do you stick them all in a closet or do you have a shelf designated for your games? Are your games stacked horizontally or shelved vertically? Do you have a specific system (i.e. alphabetically sorted) to locate your games with ease?

Some board games also come with excellent box inserts for the storage of all the pieces. Are there any that you have found impressive? Have you ever invested in buying a box insert for a board game or made your own?

Are you a fan of plastic bags? Do you sleeve your cards? Any other storage issues are fair game!  

Here is a shelfie from April, when we first got the shelf. We've gotten quite a few more games since then, including a couple that have to be stacked on top. Our games are sorted alphabetically and expansions are kept with the original game. (The Settlers of Catan is under 'S' even though it has been re-branded to Catan.)

4d0cf0db60.jpg

The game with the most impressive box insert is Dice Forge. Every single piece has its own designated spot.

24249aea42.jpg 301ccaf205.jpg   4df11ff901.jpg

The main reason for this topic is because of the following box insert for Terraforming Mars. I only got the basic box, so there was no way to store the cards. I decided to get a wooden box insert. When it got here, all the pieces were separate and it took some time to figure out how to put it together. Eventually, with the help of scotch tape, the box insert was complete!

5ee8e26081.jpg 

For the time being, I keep all my games in a cupboard. When I move into my own place, I hope to have a special shelf just for the boardgames (I love the look of the Kallax shelves from IKEA, but IKEA isn't available in South Africa. However, there are one or two people I know of locally who custom make shelves).

I stack my games horizontally, but in some cases, I've stacked bigger boxes on top of smaller boxes so as to distribute the weight more evenly and prevent pressure in the center of the box (had I reversed this). Heavier games though, stay at the bottom. The order I keep my games in is somewhat random.

There are some games though that have a semi-permanent residence in the duffel bag I take to games get-togethers, but I generally switch these out from time to time.

I really liked the insert for Century: Spice Road initially (as there were dedicated spaces for each of the bowls to hold the spice cubes, the cards and other components). However, once I sleeved the cards, they no longer fitted so I ended up discarding it. For this reason, I'm a big fan on the insert for Clank! as there is more than enough space for the cards once sleeved. I've yet to buy a custom made insert though.

I wasn't so keen on the idea of sleeving cards initially, because the cost of sleeving my games could in theory go towards other games, but eventually I decided to go this route. There were several contributing factors. People weren't always as gentle with the cards from my games so some dropped on the floor and even got scratched, and I'd wince every time. I also bought a game second-hand and the cards were already sleeved, and I found this made shuffling a pleasure. I also tried out Clank! at a games day, and for some reason that was one of the few games that the organisers hadn't sleeved — and the cards were rather worn after multiple plays. There's also a part of me that wants to leave the option open to resell any of my games at a later stage (although there are some games that I doubt would leave my collection).

I do like plastic bags to help keep things separated, and, in fact, ordered a few different sizes during a recent overseas trip. I haven't gotten round to resorting some of the game components (most of the tokens from Clank!, for example, are in one plastic bag at the moment).

I keep all of my games in a dresser with one shelf in the center of it in my laundry room. They are all nonchalantly stacked in there. It makes it easier when you’re going to play something. Except for chess (wizards chess of course with red and green pieces that we (my siblings and I) insist stand for Gryffindor vs. Slytherin), which we keep on the coffee table in the living room, all of the other games are in the dresser/drawer. I used to keep all of the puzzles in their own separate bags, but with younger siblings, it’s hard to even have puzzles because pieces get lost. Right now, I do not own any puzzles :( :lol: I’ve never invested in an organizer, but I have a lot of respect for people who go to that bother.

Sign in to follow this