The Slytherin Dungeons

Hogwarts Houses

A couple weeks ago, the newsfeed on my phone suggested an article titled: 5 Modern Muggle Board Games We Think Hufflepuffs Would Love. At the time, the list for Gryffindors was also up. I waited for the ones for Ravenclaws and Slytherins. 

I haven't actually played most of the games on the Gryffindor and Slytherin lists, though I have heard of some of them. Bluffing seems to be a common theme in the games mentioned for Slytherins.

If you had to choose one board game for each Hogwarts house, which one would you pick and why? 

It's okay if you don't have one for each house, you can post what you have and come back later!

I'll start with Slytherin!

The board game Evolution definitely utilizes the cunning and resourcefulness traits that are associated with Slytherins. Food is scarce and players must figure out how to adapt their species to the changing environment. Unique traits can be added to species and can even be replaced with more favorable ones. One of my favorite traits is Horns, which makes it less likely for a carnivore to eat the species. Self-preservation is key in this game. While there are several different strategies, the most ambitious carnivore tends to do well.

For Gryffindor, I'd say Clank! It's likely that only those "with brave deeds to their name" would dare risk sneaking (or clanking) into a dragon's lair to steal its loot in the first place. One also needs to have a certain amount of resolve to remain in the depths while the dragon continues to attack, dwindling one's health meter.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, for Slytherin I would definitely say Monopoly because it deals with money and makes Slytherins very aggressive when playing to buy the most properties. For Gryffindor, I'd say Labyrinth because Gryffindor's will enjoy the adventure theme in it and trying to find new paths to get to their objects. For Ravenclaw, I would have to say Chess because it involves critical thinking which Ravenclaws are very good at. For Hufflepuff, I would have to say Candyland because every Hufflepuff enjoys the fact that it is a game based solely on luck and does not show that the loser is not as smart as the winner in any way and it is also a colorful and fun game to play.

For Gryffindor I guess Ludo, cause the only way to win is with strategy and luck, but it is also very competitive. For Ravenclaw cluedo, for obvious reasons. Hufflepuff ... Snakes and Ladders. Does not require much investment and is very casual and laid-back. For Slytherin I recently played King of Tokyo, which I consider to be a highly aggressive game.

• 1 month later...

The cooperative genre fits Hufflepuff because the games require good communication and patience. (But NOT a cooperative game that is as difficult to win as Pandemic.) Picking Hogwarts Battle is a little too obvious, so I'll go with The Big Book of Madness

The players in The Big Book of Madness are also students at a magic school. They must work together to defeat monsters that they have accidentally let loose. Each player has their own deck of elements, but can choose to share resources with everyone. Danger can escalate quickly, but it is possible to keep everything under control by working together.

• 4 months later...

Can you share a link to that list? Let's see... Ravenclaw- Clue or Monopoly. Gryffindor- Kind of odd, but War. You know the card game for young children who are learning to add? Slytherin- Life. Hufflepuff- *disclaimer: I know this is a little kids game, and I am not trying to imply anything. I am a Hufflepuff who actually enjoys this game. Call me a little kid.* Candy Land. 

6 hours ago, Adaleine Shuster said:

Can you share a link to that list? 

Sure! Here are the articles:

I've never played any of the games that made the lists for Slytherin or Gryffindor. It's kind of funny that they did choose Pandemic for Hufflepuff.

• 2 years later...

Question: I am a chess player (my username references a mythical chess muse Caissa) so what House do you think Chess would fall under best? I say Slytherin or Ravenclaw, since you need cunning and creativity to be good at it, but that's just me. It's just because of my love for the game that my family says they would put me in Slytherin.

Chess strikes me as more of Slytherin game as well, but it can definitely fit for both of those houses.

As for Hufflepuff, I'm going to say checkers. It's a competitive game, but at least for those of us who grew up in America, it conjurs up ideas of sitting on the porch and family time. I think that nostalgia value and the family friendly vibe is very Hufflepuff. Also it's a pretty easy game to learn, which fits in as well the whole "Hufflepuff not secluding anyone" deal.

• 2 months later...

For Gryffindor I could absolutely seeing them playing something where the storyline involves going on a quest, such as Munchkin lol
Hufflepuff would be Codenames, it's a very cooperative game :) I love playing it a lot. Another that may not make much sense is Ticket to Ride.
Ravenclaw would be a game with logic, such as Clue(do) or Scrabble.
Slytherin would likely be a strategy game, specifically ones involving conquering lands, like Catan. (Also quite fun!)

• 2 years later...

For Slytherins, I would say Werewolves and Town of Salem because both involve a lot of bluffing and catching lies, and manipulation, too, and Slytherins are good at that. The end justifies the means for them, after all.

For Gryffindors, I would suggest the Game of Life because it involves making the correct choices, and those  can be difficult choices sometimes, and the Gryffindors would love that. They are all about bravery and chivalry.

For Hufflepuffs, I would suggest Snakes and Ladders, because they love to be loyal and see through games throughout ups and downs, right and wrong, even when it's outside their control, which is exactly what the Snakes and Ladders game makes one feel like.

For Ravenclaws, I would for obvious reasons suggest Cluedo, because they love to find clues and hidden meanings and deduce things and make logical assumptions which is exactly what one does in Cluedo to win.