The Slytherin Dungeons

The next Wonder Woman movie will be set in 1984. Her costume was recently revealed and reflects the glitz and glamour associated with the eighties.

gGi9khg.png

Are there any trends from the '80s that you want to see make a return? Are there any that you feel belong in history?

Join in the discussion by 11:59 pm on 30 June to earn 5 XP.

I absolutely love leg warmers! Those should definitely make a comeback at some point. I think it's the dancer in me, but even still, I'll wear my leg warmers out a lot even now. The other trend I liked that is kind of already making a comeback is the high waisted jeans. I've always thought they were practical and cute if they're styled appropriately.

As far as some trends that should stay gone, mullets are one of them. Acid wash jeans can join the list, too. Not really my thing. Also shoulder pads even if the idea behind them was actually good overall.

I agree with all of Sh1Sh1's recommendations. I could so see myself wearing leg warmers had I been older when that trend was popular. I do not much care for the 80s hair styles in general. I think it is important to have some of the 80s hairstyles as part of the movie. I would like to see some of the perms, big hair styles, and scrunchies with ponytails styles. Mullets DO NOT need to make a comeback! They can stay in the 80s vault forever! 

In addition to leg warmers, I would love to see the neon color clothes that were popular in the 80s make a comeback. I would totally see myself wearing those items today if they were still in. Lets not forget fanny packs! Those were AWESOME!!! 

Now that my brain has images of 80s clothes and 80s styles, I wonder what will end up in the new Wonder Woman movie? It will be interesting to see kids reactions to them when they see them. Yes, children, that was the style, and it was THE THING!

Fingerless gloves. I love them and have actually knit some for me and other folks (but I don't have the sections between the fingers - that is sort of irritating to me so nope).  Oversize tops - yes! Those are great for layers, and in the northwest part of the USA, layers are a good thing, both for warm and for cold.  Ah, fanny packs. How odd, I happen to have a couple of them. One of them is a bright turquoise colour too! Yes, to the bright colours (says she who wears a lot of black....). Scrunchies! Yes! I'm growing my hair out again (from being short short) so will be needing those scrunchies again sooner or later.

No to -- shoulder pads, stretch stirrup pants, parachute pants. No to spandex.

Maybe to huge earrings. I love them but my ears do not love them. I also like the leg warmers, but don't wear them.

I had to look up mullets. As far as I knew, they are a kind of fish ... " The mullets or grey mullets are a family (Mugilidae) of ray-finned fish found worldwide in coastal temperate and tropical waters, and some species in fresh water." Oh, it's a hair cut! Short in front and long in back?  (Looks in mirror. That's what my hair looks like ... as it grows out ...well, the bangs are sort of long too, so maybe it's not a mullet ... ) ☺️

I’m personally not a big fan of the concept of fashion trends at all - of any era.  They lend themselves too easily to a world where we’re all expected to invest enormous amounts of time, money, and effort into looking the same as everyone else - and doing anything besides that just gets you ostracized.

That said, when I think of fashion trends from the 80s I remember, one comes to mind right away:  jeans jackets (or the general use of denim for clothing other than jeans/pants).  Aesthetically I think it’s a fairly drab, boring style in general.  However, there are definitely people who make it work - and it is those people that I most strongly associate with that style!  I can think of crushes that I saw in person, both back in the 80s (when I was in kindergarten) and much more recently, that I remember looking *amazing* in jeans jackets... 

I like the mullet is cool. In fact, that is what I wear always. Never thought of it being a 80's thing. I also love leather jackets and denim jackets. Sadly, my leather jacket is to heavy to wear in the summer. That one thing I love about winters. Wish I can find a leather jacket for the summer. I really need new cooler clothes.