The Slytherin Dungeons

Several iconic movies and movie franchises began in the 1980s and some have made their way back in recent years. Which remakes or reboots have you seen? Which ones do you recommend?

Join in the discussion by 11:59 pm on 30 June to earn 5 XP.

I don’t think I have actually seen any reboots of movie franchises that “began in the eighties”.

The closest would have to be Star Wars; while it technically began in the seventies, two-thirds of the original trilogy was released in the 1980s (1980 for The Empire Strikes Back; 1983 for Return of the Jedi).

Star Wars was rebooted in 1999 with The Phantom Menace - the first of a new trilogy.  I have seen two movies from that trilogy:  The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.  Unfortunately, I felt that the reboot was really not worth my time (which is why I haven’t seen a Star Wars movie since 2002).  While the original Star Wars trilogy was known for cutting-edge (for their time) graphics, technology has moved on since the eighties.  Every choice that the directors made would have to either look like a period piece or a break from the original - and I’m not sure there was any real solution.

Worse, the second trilogy felt like a  star vehicle (no pun intended) for one of my least favorite actresses:  Natalie Portman.  Seeing that put me off even more - and made me feel like the franchise jumped the shark!

Movies of the 1980s -

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) has Alan Rickman, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter. Whoa. This is a very strange movie. But Alan Rickman!  And he sings. :)  This has been made before -- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - in 1982 and starred Angela Lansbury, George Hearn and Cris Groenendaal. It had also been made in 1936 - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, staring Tod Slaughter, Stella Rho and John Singer.

Ah, there are many renditions of this! A made-for-television movie, plays ... evidently it's quite popular.

A quick Google search gets this:

Sweeney Todd is a fictional character who first appeared as the villain of the Victorian penny dreadful serial The String of Pearls (1846–47).

The tale became a staple of Victorian melodrama and London urban legend, and has been retold many times since, most notably in the Tony award–winning Broadway musical by Stephen Sondheim and Hugh Wheeler.

Claims that Sweeney Todd was a historical person are strongly disputed by scholars, although possible legendary prototypes exist.

Another movie which I have watched (and has been remade) is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but it is of 1971. It  was lovely, and staring Gene Wilder. It was sort of scary... no, some parts of it were very scary and 'dark'.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) is said to be closer to the source material than the original movie. It has a whole different feel to it, too. But then, Gene Wilder has a knack for being apparently innocuous and having a very deep and mysterious and dangerous-in-potential undertone which can be very very scary.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ... I thought I would like it and realized that it is entirely different in feel.  So I had to sort of regard it as the same story but not (just like the HP books and the HP movies!) 

Ones that I will not watch include a lot of horror movies that are being remade right now or were recently done. I have heard that they were really good remakes as far as the ones that are out now. Horror is definitely not my genre though.

A movie that I have seen is Annie when the remake came out in 2014. There was a lot of controversy over it from the original which was made back in 1982. I personally loved the new Annie as it is set in present day and incorporates all of that into the movie. Talking about it makes me want to watch it again actually. If you have not seen this remake, I do highly recommend it and get ready for some updated version of the classic songs as well, which I also think they did an excellent job with.

When thinking about 80s movies that have reboots today, I also think about 80s movies that have sequels today. One of the movies that falls into this category is Die Hard. My family and I enjoy watching this movie during the Christmas season, as yes it is a Christmas movie. Snape is in it too. He plays a good looking bad boy! I enjoy the sequels too, but the original Die Hard is still one of my favorites. 

I also enjoyed the remake of the Annie movie. I think they did a good job of bringing it into current day society. Even though the original Annie will always have a part in my all time favorite movie category, the 2014 version also requires a noteworthy mention.