The Slytherin Dungeons
Sign in to follow this  
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis

Emerald Gate II

Oh, this is so difficult. ONE favorite movie from then when there were so many? Hang on, I'll go check out my DVD shelf ... even though I love Bladerunner, I know I don't have a copy of it. If I don't have a copy of it, then obviously it's not a favorite favorite.

I have this which was referenced in the book but is not from the 1980s - Monty Python and the Holy Grail (I have all the Monty Python movies and most of their shows...). But your question is 1980s ..

I have Ladyhawk (1985), Die Hard (1988), Ghostbusters (1984), The Princess Bride (1987) and The Mikado (1987 - with Eric Idle of Monty Python fame). Oddly enough, I don't have any Indiana Jones DVDs. (I know I had them in VHS but I gave away virtually all of my VHS movies.)

Of those five movies, my favorite, depending on what sort of mood I'm in, is either Ladyhawk, Die Hard or The Princess Bride.

The one I've watched most recently is The Princess Bride.

While thinking about this question, I realized that most of my favorite movies are movies that come out of the 1980s! 

From the Finagle's Rest Quest, my favorites from there are ET and The Goonies. 

Other 1980s favorites not in the Quest include: Die Hard (Yes, IT IS a Christmas Movie), Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986), Ghostbusters (1984), and Back to the Future (1985). 

Interestingly, one of GhostWalker's favorite I CAN'T STAND, which is Princess Bride. I guess it is one of those that either people like or don't like, and I do not like it!

I will NEVER be a 'movie' person because I feel like my time is too valuable to spend two hours sitting and doing nothing.

But a guilty pleasure of mine that's very much a 1980s movie is called "License to Drive" - in which the protagonist gets a date with a young Heather Graham upon telling her that he's about to get his driver's license... but fails the test - and sneaks out anyway with the car to go on the date!  Somehow it all turns out okay at the end of the hijinks; the plot and scene are very much a "Southern California in the 1980s" plot.  Heather Graham was one of my absolute favorite movie star crushes in the late 90s and early 00s... and seeing what she looked like as a teenager (only about a year older than my character) really made the movie for me!

Sign in to follow this