The Slytherin Dungeons

Which classic arcade game(s) do you enjoy playing (or watching others play)? Do you still play any of them frequently? How do you prefer playing the arcade games (i.e. on the computer, a video game version, or at actual arcade)?

Join in the discussion by 11:59 pm on 30 June to earn 5 XP.

My favorite game to play among the arcade games was Tetris.  But for that I'll specify the arcade game made by Tengen - not the NES version - as the arcade version and its stages were a lot more fun!  Of course, arcade games became much more accessible in the late 90s when the Internet did its thing... but most of what you see there are clones that are somewhat different than what appeared in arcades.

Another fun (but frustrating) game I remember playing as a kid was Marble Madness... the game that most strongly reminds me of driving without involving a car.  The first stage in that one was reasonable enough, but once I passed that one I remembered the second stage having near-impossible curves, other marbles and monsters whose sole purpose was to knock you off the track... and if you maneuvered your way around one of them (luring it off a cliff, say) then a new monster of the same type would come out of nowhere to sabotage you in the exact same way!  And worse, this incredibly hard stage - which I could never come close to beating as a kid - was called the "Beginner" stage by the game!

I seem to currently have an extreme inability to play the arcade games very well!

Arcade games and me  - click

I've played Tetris some but I haven't played many arcade games and/or computer games. It might be because it used to be that somehow the machine would short out if I tried to play it (and using a hammer to fix it wouldn't work ...) and when trying on a computer things just sort of bounce around.  I've no idea how I got that one score in that one room (here in OASIS). I basically clicked arrows and space bar at random until the game stopped. (I've no idea what the ending score was, either, I got that screen capture when it went above the required amount to qualify.)

edit: Managed to finally get to a strawberry AND get a screen capture of it. Yay?

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
converting HOL Forum-ese to Dungeons-ese <--- that was Will; me-I edited to celebrate getting a strawberry \o/

Tetris was always fun, and I still sometimes love to play the version of it that they have on Neopets. I also used to like Pac-Man but when I played it for this activity, I realized that maybe I didn't like it as much as I thought considering I now am horrible at it. I also really liked Pong as I remember being very good at that and it was kind of mindless for me. Then there is Super Mario Bros. which I really like as well. Lucky for me, I had family that had an old Nintendo 64, so I was introduced to some of the Mario series games including Mario Kart. When I was younger, we had this arcade package for the computer that had over 50 games on it. There were only a few that I would mess with, the above included.

I don't think I ever actually played arcade games! My childhood involved games like bridge or chess (because I'm trapped in the body of an 89 year old, apparently). I battled with pac-man for the task, and joust wan't much easier. But, I think I'll definitely learn about arcade games with this activity, and I'm all for learning :) 

In January, we went to an arcade as part of Scarlet's sister's Amazing Race-themed birthday. We were lagging behind, so I didn't get to spend as much time there as I would have liked, but I did fall in love with one game in particular: Tempest. You rotate a wheel to position yourself to blast Flippers and avoid spikes. I wasn't very good at it, but at least managed to score enough points to advance to the next leg of the race.

My other favorite is Robotron: 2084. It's among my most played games of all time and I was super excited when it was briefly mentioned in Ready Player One.

I think the best way to play a game (computer vs console vs arcade) varies from game to game. For a game like Tempest, I think you need to play it in an arcade with the wheel to fully appreciate it. Other games like Robotron translate a lot better to mouse and keyboard.

I agree with everyone else that Tetris is amazing. I have a Tetris app on my phone, and I also love to play it at the arcade. I've gotten into Galaga since it's one of my boyfriend's favorite classics, and we only play that when we're at an arcade. I don't know if this counts as arcade, but I do remember being addicted to the pinball game that was on my desktop computer back in the day. For a long time, I played Crossy Road on my phone and thought it was the greatest thing ever. I don't know if it was an arcade game before or after I had it on my phone, but playing it at the arcade is AMAZING because there is a physical button you can push repeatedly with a little arm strength to make the jumping happen. For those that don't know what it is, Crossy Road is a game where you're given a character (starts out as a chicken) who has to cross over land and water without either getting run over, eaten by another creature, or drowning in the river. It's button mashing delightfulness, and you should try it!

Tetris is definitely my favorite classic arcade game. I played a little at the arcade when Cody was working on beating the target score in Tempest. As long as I figure out the controls, I don't mind which version of Tetris I'm playing. I actually haven't tried Tetris on my phone, but in high school, I had the high score in Tetris on the graphing calculator. At one point, I think nearly everyone who had Tetris had my high score until one of my friends got a bug and was able to beat it. That was a sad day. We had the Nintendo 64 version where you got to build the Seven Wonders with the lines you accumulate. I don't remember if we ever finished it. We had a Disney version of Tetris for Game Boy Color that had challenges, like time and color sequence.

Another game I like is Asteroids. I included it in the End of the World Challenge activity on HOL years ago.

My sister played Ms. Pac-Man on Game Boy and I liked watching the cutscenes between levels. 

I agree with most everyone in here in that Tetris is one of my favorite arcade games. Sh1Sh1 I LOVVE that you play Neopets too, I thought I was the only adult that ever played that game lol. I also enjoy some versions of PacMan (although the one I've been trying to get the strawberries for has eluded me). I also remember playing this one arcade game (although I do not remember the name of it) at a hotel (somehow the game was broken to the point where you could play unlimited games without having to put money in), and you had to keep the ball from going into the hole for as long as possible. Arcade games are frustrating, yet challenging in a good way too.