The Slytherin Dungeons

I read the book but haven't seen the movie yet (not really a movie fan in general, though I made an exception for the Bellatrix Lestrange scenes in the last four Harry Potter movies).  I was... well... not a fan of it because it felt way too cliche (and almost like a self-insert of the author).  But at least I liked Aech's character?

I've read the book and not seen the movie (yet). I've read the book several times, and enjoy it each time. Maybe it is the trivia, maybe it is the growth of the character Parzival (Wade Watts), maybe it is the interaction of someone in an allegedly 'unreal' environment with others in that same environment, and then finding out it is really all of a piece.  I know I really like main 'good guy' characters (Aech and Parzival and Art3mis) as shown in the book and really do NOT like the Sixers (and Nolan Sorrento) .

I guess I don't know what it is about the book that I like it so much. I just do.

edit: is it sad that I knew how to spell all those names ... without looking them up? :D

Edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

I had most of Ready Player One read to me (by Cody, Cody's phone, and Wil Wheaton), so I had no idea how a lot of things were spelled. When I finally read a chapter, it was a nice surprise to see Parzival, Aech, Art3mis, Anorak, etc. in print. The writing style wasn't always the most reader-friendly, so maybe it was good that someone else read it! At one point, Cody pointed that there were lots and lots of lists and then we couldn't stop noticing them.

I typically enjoy books and movies with a treasure/scavenger hunt in some fashion, especially when there are clues to follow. It's exciting to try to figure things out along with the characters. The mix of competition and friendship was fun to read and easy to relate to. I can't say that I'm very into video games or anything, but it was so interesting to see so many allusions to different games in one book. Since I was born in the late '80s, there were a few things that I had heard of before, but there were a lot of pop culture references that I didn't realize were from the '80s.

The movie was very different from the book, but it definitely captured the essence of the book. There are only one or two major details that I would change.

I can't say a whole lot here because I've neither read the book nor seen the movie, but it is on my list! I really don't even know that much about it, so this is helping spark my interest in the overall theme. Hopefully I'll have it read by the end of the summer!

I have read the book, but I have yet to see the movie, though I hope to do so soon. I fell in love with the book instantly. Thank you Cody (and Tarma) for recommending it to me this past year. I loved the whole hunt part of it and how it all tied into the founder's childhood favorites. I think it also spoke a lot about what our world has come to today in terms of greediness and large corporations trying to take over and run everything simply for profit whereas those who are less fortunate are left behind to basically wait to die. The OASIS gives them all escape from that or did at one point until the hunt began. But even still, it gives everyone some sort of hope and the way it was written was so exciting! I can only hope that the movie did the book justice.

I haven't seen the film nor read the book - yet! The book is on my e-reader so will eventually get read, hopefully before this task finishes. As for the film, I will hunt for a DVD of it while I'm on holiday and see how I like it.

I haven't read the book or seen the film either! I'm hoping to do both this summer, but I sadly don't really have time until mid-July for anything else. I've heard great things and I love glancing over all of the tasks here though! It really hypes them both up for me!

I have read the book and seen the movie. The book was amazing, and it is currently standing in my top ten of favorite books ever! When I first started reading it, I was skeptical. I am not one who usually likes video game type books, but I do like alternate reality/dystrophic type novels. This book fit right into my love of dystrophic novels, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys these types of novels. 

As for the movie rendition, I was also skeptical going into see it, because I have seen some wonderful movie adaptations and I have seen some not so good movie adaptations. Without spoiling either the book for the movie, I was quite pleased with how they turned the book into a movie. There were some scenes that were left out of the movie that I would have liked to see,  but overall, they did a marvelous job keeping the story line moving. The movie is also highly recommended, but definitely read the book first!