The Slytherin Dungeons

As you touch down on Novus, a great tower looms ahead of you. You debate whether to knock on the large oak doors or whether to bypass it altogether. While you go back and forth in your decision-making, the doors open and a rather frantic-looking wizened man appears. Concerned for him, you choose to approach him.

"Ah, just the person I've been looking for," he gives you a toothy grin. "I've been working on a potion most exquisite, but I'm lacking a certain rare herb that can be found yonder. Unfortunately my old bones prevent me from going in search of it myself. Should you bring the herb to me, I'll make sure you're amply rewarded for your efforts."

You hastily agree, eager to assist him.

Draw the herb you found for him and describe its properties.

Upload your drawing to an image-hosting site and post your herb and description below by 11:59 pm on 30 June for 5 XP.

qse8Ri3.png

The herb above is called vlocer (the first syllable pronounced like "slow" but with a V sound at the beginning and the second syllable pronounced like "sir").  When brewed into a tea, vlocer makes the drinker luckier and more confident.  It has similar effects as a potion ingredient, but it should NOT be eaten raw as it contains a toxic compound, analogous to cyanide!  This compound can be completely deactivated, though, by raising the surrounding area to at least 100 degrees Celsius for at least 15 minutes (analogous to the Muggle process of "pasteurization").

http://s754.photobucket.com/user/elcollins95/media/plant 1_zpsc9u1ofxg.jpeg.html

Image shows a line drawing of bunch of green grass and leaves from which 4 red flowers with yellow centres emerge (the description is much better than my artwork).

My plant is called a lowlil. It's fairly boring, save for the fact that the dried and ground petals make a painkilling tea. For this reason alone, it is separated from its cousins which are all otherwise classed as pests and weeds. It has a slightly powdery smell, and actually appears very commonly provided you know where to look. 

This is the Black Daisy, so called because it seems to be, all parts of it, black in colour in daylight. When seen by moonlight though, or by the light of stars, it clearly has a luminous quality to it. This plant, the flower, leaves and roots, radiate a ghostly light which allows a person to more easily find it when the sun goes down but if a person knows how to look in shadows, they can find it even at full daylight. The roots, while shown in picture, are actually deeply buried underground and are of two types - thinner fibrous (hair-like) rootlets and sturdier roots which seem to have the ability to burrow into anything.

The qualities of the plant are many. One of the many uses of it is as an enhancer of those ingredients already present in potions. This way you only have to use 1/3 to 1/2 of the necessary materials you'd otherwise need.  This goes for all sections of the plant. Harvesting is easy - pinch off a leave or a flower. The plant is not harmed by this and, in fact, will replace what is harvested with a double amount of leaves or flowers.

If you use just the flower, that is something which, if dried carefully in full sunlight and not otherwise exposed to heat, makes a most wonderful and energizing drink which tastes, oddly enough, of strawberries. The leaves and stems are used to keep the dismals away; but it is rather uncomfortable for the person when the dismals jump away from them and run away. (The stricken person thought those 'things' were a part of themselves!) The roots - ah the roots. While the roots are doubly potent in all applications of the other parts of the plant, really, it is best that you stay away from the roots and just use cuttings of leaves or flowers or stems. If you happen across a plant which has reached the end of its life cycle, though, you are permitted to use the entire plant. You can tell if it is ending its life cycle because the plant will start turning purple, first the flower and then the leaves and then the stem and roots. The plant will then allow you to 'uproot' it and the plant spirit will leave the body and you will not be cursed as you would have been if you had actually had the audacity (or ignorance or stupidity) to actually pick it while it was alive and thriving.

Oasis_-_Novus_-_task_Black_Daisy_5.23.20

Novus_Quest.png

This is a Timeless Herb which has very strong properties of healing and also anti-aging. It glows a bright silver color and releases droplets of silvery nectar when picked, so one must be very careful when picking them so they nectar is not all lost by the time the herb is used. What makes it so rare is that it is grown in only one place and that is a hidden grove that is said to be guarded by a terrifying creature that has not been seen by anyone still alive in nearly a millenia but the herb allows the creature to survive and never age.

b973710806.png

Bimandepola is a magical herb that is native to the area surrounding the Caspian Sea. The flowers are a striking shade of blue that does not exist in the Muggle world. It has two different sets of properties, depending on what time of day the herb was harvested. If bimandepola is picked during the day, its effects are similar to taking Pepper-up Potion (without the steam). When picked at night, bimandepola helps with sleep. Obviously, it is very important to document what time the herb is collected to avoid getting the wrong effect. It is believed that bimandepola harvested either during the day or at night during a full moon is more potent, but this fact has yet to be proven.

OASISSim.png

This magical herb, called simulac (sim-you-lack), appears like any other green, leafy plant if you’re looking at a field full of plant life. Muggles often mistake this plant for a weed and kill it, which makes it sadly rare to find. Wizards and witches are able to identify simulac by its bright yellow veining, which stands out only if you’re very close to the plant. The primary identifier is its triangular leaf shape (which is definitely more perfect and consistent than I can represent in my drawing…). This herb in and of itself has no properties and would do nothing if used alone. What is does do is act as the catalyst to make other ingredients in a potion work together. Certain potions will not work at all without this ingredient added at the end to cause other ingredients to bind together to create the desired result.

IgvhHZe.jpg

This is the herb known as Aspuxio. It's a rare herb that grows in Novian jungles and is useful for crafting antidotes to many types of venom, including that of the Imps that call Novus their home. As you can see, Aspuxio often takes the form of a long, coiling snake, so most adventurers tend to avoid it out of fear of contracting the one thing the herb can cure!

The herb I was asked to collect is called the Rosevein herb. It is called the Rosevein herb because of its features. It has four veins protruding from its base, and multiple buds surrounding it. The buds that surround it look like rosebuds. It also blends in with muggle plants, so if one needs to gather this herb in a muggle community outside of the Oasis, we will not stand out. Its main property is a healing property. It can mend any wound that was afflicted in battle. It will not mend illnesses or injuries caused by common household accidents. 

roseveinherb.jpg