The Slytherin Dungeons
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis

Welcome to the OASIS!

Three hidden keys open three secret gates
Wherein the errant will be tested for worthy traits
And those with the skill to survive these straits
Will reach The End where the prize awaits

We’ll be warping to the world of Ready Player One for this year’s Emerald Cup competition. Be prepared for classic arcade games and lots of '80s references! The objective is to be the first gunter through all three gates OR to accumulate the most XP. The Emerald Cup is hidden somewhere in the OASIS. The first gunter to locate all three keys - Green, Silver, and Emerald - and get through the respective gates will locate the Emerald Cup.

Everyone is invited to join the Emerald Cup Hunt as a gunter. Non-Slytherins may choose to be part of the Green Clan or the Silver Clan or complete everything solo. Gunter Clans are encouraged to work together and give each other tips, but all Quest solutions must be submitted individually.

All worlds in the OASIS are the home of a monster and contain a Quest. Certain sectors of the OASIS are only accessible when a gunter has accumulated sufficient XP. Gunters gain XP by attacking monsters and completing Quests. Each gunter is allowed two actions per day - either move to another world and attack the monster inhabiting it or move two worlds away. Quests are worth 5, 10, or 15 XP depending on which sector they are found and some will offer the opportunity for bonus XP. All Quest solutions must be turned in by 11:59 pm HOL time on 30 June.

Occasionally, there will be IRC activities. Log in with your OASIS usernames to gain additional XP and bond with the other gunters in your Clan. You may even earn special items to help you with the Hunt! 

Any general questions about the Emerald Cup Hunt can be posted below. Specific questions about Quests should be e-mailed to slytherin.emeraldcup@gmail.com or posted in their respective threads.

What are you waiting for? Create your OASIS username and join the Hunt!

If you attack the monster in a world and fail to defeat it, is there any penalty to your character (lose XP/lose items/lose a turn)?  Or is just having one move instead of two - with nothing to show for it - the penalty by itself?

1) Is Aporia a valid 'go to' place with a monster to defeat?

2) If a monster cannot be immediately defeated, is it valid to go to another world and tackle another monster - then go back to the first one and defeat it? (ie Do you have to defeat a monster before going on to another world, and can a person go back to it, if it was previously not defeated, and have another go at it?)

After we submit our actions for the day, I know we should expect our responses by email.  Is there a specific email address and a specific time we should expect them from?  (e.g. if we post our move during Day X, will our reply come later during Day X or at the very start of Day X+1... or some other time entirely?)

34 minutes ago, Prof. Tarma Amelia Black said:

1) Is Aporia a valid 'go to' place with a monster to defeat?

Yes, Aporia is a valid world with a monster. Whether or not you can defeat it is yet to be decided!

34 minutes ago, Prof. Tarma Amelia Black said:

2) If a monster cannot be immediately defeated, is it valid to go to another world and tackle another monster - then go back to the first one and defeat it? (ie Do you have to defeat a monster before going on to another world, and can a person go back to it, if it was previously not defeated, and have another go at it?)

You are free to leave the world, tackle other monsters, and come back for the original monster later.

24 minutes ago, Will Lestrange said:

After we submit our actions for the day, I know we should expect our responses by email.  Is there a specific email address and a specific time we should expect them from?  (e.g. if we post our move during Day X, will our reply come later during Day X or at the very start of Day X+1... or some other time entirely?)

At midnight HOL time, the Actions thread will be locked and your actions will be processed. You can expect an email from slytherin.emeraldcup@gmail.com shortly after.

Keep the questions coming, guys! The OASIS is a lot to take in and we're happy to help you get started on your journey!

Mr. Cody wrote:

Yes, Aporia is a valid world with a monster. Whether or not you can defeat it is yet to be decided!

May I return to my original choice of Aporia, then? Or, since I've edited my Action post to go to another place,  just return to Aporia after vacationing in Tarsiss Prime?

1 minute ago, Prof. Tarma Amelia Black said:

May I return to my original choice of Aporia, then? Or, since I've edited my Action post to go to another place,  just return to Aporia after vacationing in Tarsiss Prime?

You may edit your Actions until they are processed at midnight HOL time. However, your original Actions were invalid:

When the OASIS is open, each gunter is allowed two actions per day. Gunters may either:

• Move to a world one move away and attack the monster
  • Move to a world two moves away

Got it. We're not outside the board (OASIS) and jumping in, but actually starting in the board.

Sorry! I was being like in the book (being outside OASIS and putting on my virtual reality goggles and a pair of haptic gloves and leaping in). Yes, I don't do board games, can you tell? :D  But this seems like tons of fun so am learning as I go. Thank you for explaining. 

Another question - does no one else have questions? :o?

Do you have to be IN that world to submit that task (slay that monster)? Say there is a 'identify music' thing in one of the worlds and I am terrible at identifying songs and decide that getting 5 out of 10 is getting tedious and continue on to other world....

So that monster to defeat is in Asgard and I finally manage to identify the songs but I'm across the board in Gallifrey. Can I go to that planet (Asgard) Topic and post in there my answer (or send the email or whatever is required) while in Gallifrey or do I have to travel back to Asgard in order to submit it?

Location does not matter when submitting Quests. As soon as you complete a Quest, you may submit it, even if you are not currently in the world where you received the Quest.

Per your example, you can post in Asgard when you are in Gallifrey.

Does a person get partial XP for partially completing a challenge or does one have to complete them all to get credit for it?  Staying with the music theme -- say there are 10 songs and I get 8 of them and simply cannot figure out what the last 2 are. May I send that in as a 'seriously wounded the monster but it's not dead' and get 8/10 x XP points?

Each gunter is allowed two actions per day - either move to another world and attack the monster inhabiting it or move two worlds away.

If I move two worlds away, and not move to another world and attack the monster, what then? Can a person do the task on the world (two worlds away) moved to without attacking the monster?

Yes, you will always receive a Quest upon arriving in a world you have not yet visited. Attacking the monster only gives you double XP for that Quest and has no other effect on the task you are given.

So that is, in effect, a third option? To move to another world, to move to another world and attack, or to move to a world two worlds away? Or does one HAVE to attack if move to another (directly adjacent) world?

The only way to move one world away is to move and attack, even if you've already attacked that world and earned the XP bonus. In that case, it is the same as moving only once.