The Slytherin Dungeons

Since it’s Valentine’s Day and it’s our first GOBstones Club discussion, “First Love” seems like an appropriate topic.

What tabletop game was your first love? Do you still play it? Or have you moved on to new games? Tell us all about it!

My first love is also Cody's first Tabletop Spotlight! My cousins introduced The Settlers of Catan to my siblings and me when I was in high school. That first night, we must've played 3 or 4 games. It was so different from the games I was used to playing. I loved how the separate hexes allowed the board to be changed for each game. I've always liked dice, so having them as an integral part of the game was a plus. The ability to trade AND steal resources from other players can put an interesting twist on the game. There are so many ways to earn points, which means there are various ways to win as well. Because we liked the game so much, my cousins decided to leave us their copy of The Settlers of Catan.

My school district decided to use a new type of block scheduling during my junior year of high school. This gave us an hour for study hall. I rarely got anything productive done in that hour, so I decided to bring Settlers. I started out playing with my AP Chemistry classmates. Soon, other people in our study hall wanted to learn how to play. By the end of the year, people were fighting for spots. They would seek me out in the morning of Settlers days to ask if they could play. I even agreed to sit out some games. Luckily, it is entertaining to watch Settlers being played too!

Settlers actually wasn't the first tabletop game I played with Cody. It wasn't until he came here that we played for the first time. I was a little worried that I hyped Settlers up too much and it wouldn't meet his expectations. But I obviously didn't have to worry at all.

My first love was Dominion. Scarlet got us a copy to play with Amy when all three of us were in my home state, and I instantly fell in love with the deck-building genre.

Scarlet and I started playing the online version, and would play a best-of-5 almost daily, keeping track of the results in a spreadsheet. Matches got very competitive and would often end with me yelling at my computer screen.

We don't play much anymore now that I've found Clank!, a deck-builder I enjoy even more, but Dominion will always be my first love.

My very first love was Candyland. I liked the bright colors and cool looking characters; but I loved the story the most! There were always 5 of us who wanted to play so we took turns being the "reader" and reading the next part of the story once someone reached that character's space on the board.

It was also the first game I learned how to cheat on.....haha.....

I still play it with my nephew, and I plan to play it with my daughter too!

My first and favorite game was also Dominion. My father found it somewhere and when I played it with him I fell in Love immediately. In fact both of us were so entranced that we tried to create a desktop Dominion game. We coded it and it worked, but there were soon a lot of bugs and since our Dominion craze was dying down we never really got around to fixing them. We still love Dominion and play it, but now nobody can beat my father so it’s rather one sided.

My favorite game now is Timeline because you not only play, but you also learn history and the relation of historical events to each other.

Dominion :wub:

When I was younger, I loved trading card games like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. Dominion strongly reminded me of them, and I really liked that each person had the same cards to start off with and had equal opportunity to build their decks. I still remember my first game of Pokemon where I played using the starter deck my cousin bought me and he won with his deck that he had meticulously crafted over a period of time.

With Dominion, there’s also a lot of variety from game to game. While everyone has the same starting deck of ten cards, one’s starting hand can differ wildly (only 5 cards get drawn at a time) which can inform one’s strategy. Also the cards that one can ‘buy’ from the market during the game can differ from game to game (even without the expansions).

I’m always up for a game of Dominion, but sadly my boardgaming group seems to have moved on from it. We do play a fair bit of the DC Comics Deck-Building Game though.

Ticket to Ride deserves an honourable mention though as it was my first introduction to modern
boardgames, but it hasn’t held my interest as much.

My first love was like Arianna. It was also Candyland simply because I liked the colors. My mom still has that board game at their house, too. I also soon fell in love with Monopoly as well as Life. Although after a while, my dad refused to play with my brother and me at Monopoly because we always found a way to cheat. Apparently there's a Monopoly out now that requires you to cheat in order to win. I'm a little interested in that I'm sad to say.

I don't really have time to play games anymore, so the ones I do play are all online based rather than "party" based since I'm not near my family anymore. However, when I do go home, we sometimes will play Dominoes and every now and then I can get my dad to play a game of Monopoly with me if he's in a good mood.