Rules:

• Rank the three puzzles in the previous post. 
  • Explain your ranking with at least 50 words to earn 5 scales.
  • Choose three puzzles for the next person to rank.

Listed below are the puzzles we commonly see on HOL as homework assignments or included in HOL activities. You are also welcome to choose puzzles that are not on this list.

• Anagrams/Unscrambles
  • Crossword
  • Cryptogram
  • Fallen Letters
  • Fillomino
  • Hashiwokakero (Bridges)
  • Jigsaw Puzzle
  • Kakuro
  • Logic Puzzle
  • Maze
  • Nonogram
  • Numberlink
  • Nurikabe
  • Slitherlink
  • Spot the Difference
  • Sudoku
  • Word Search

To start:

Jigsaw Puzzle / Sudoku / Word Search

Actually you've already listed them for me in order of preference! The jigsaw is my favourite puzzle to do on HOL and if any classes have that option for homework I usually do that right at the beginning of term and save it on my computer until that assignment is reached! Being a numbers person I love a good sudoku though I sometimes get a bit bored if they're too easy. I like too do a word search too but it's my least favourite of the three, especially if we're not given a list of words. 

5 scales (September 2017)

How about: Crossword, Jigsaw, Bridges?

Hmm.. I think that out of all three I most prefer jigsaw puzzles. I'm don't really mind crossword or bridges puzzles, but since sometimes bridges puzzles can be quite difficult, I think I'll rank crosswords above them. I agree with Max in that I tend to do jigsaw puzzles available in classes as soon as I can. For some reason it makes me feel productive, even though I haven't done that much. Also I really enjoy listening to music or a podcast while doing them and timing myself with how many songs go by. Crosswords generally go over well with me, especially the ones that have a set theme so that even if I don't understand the hint I can still potentially figure out the puzzle. Bridges may just be my least favorite because they are the puzzles I'm least familiar with. I don't think I'd ever seen a bridges puzzle until I joined HOL, and I recall that one popped up in the Find Your Valentine contest in 2012 and I did it completely wrong after failing to read the directions correctly. Suffice to say, they're not my forte but I'm trying to get better at them.

Next we'll do:
Cryptogram, Maze, Nonogram

I would likely tackle the cryptogram first. Both the cryptogram and nonogram require deducing, but words and letters are a little easier to deal with. It is possible to see patterns in language fairly quickly. The relative sizes of the nonogram and the maze might change my decision. If one is smaller, that will be much less daunting. But if they are similar in size, I will put nonogram before maze. I prefer watching an image unveil rather than trying to get from one point to another.

Here are the next three:
Fallen Letters / Anagrams / Logic Puzzle

Fallen Letters / Anagrams / Logic Puzzle

First is Fallen Letters.  I much prefer the Fallen Letters. I don't know if it is because the letters float around in my head and then arrange themselves on the paper or if I figure them out Maybe it's both -- maybe I solve them both intuitively and then logically.

Which leads to second choice of logic puzzles.  I like a logic puzzle where, if you 'logic' it out, it works out tidy.  I don't like logic puzzles which have to involve guessing (the stuff of 'is either this or that' and it is a pure guess and if you guess one way and it's wrong, you have to go back to the guess point and choose the other.  Sure it works out but ... that's not a singular logical progression).

So why choose logic puzzles second?   :lol:  Because I do not like Anagrams!  Nope.  I don't know why Fallen letters is so fun and Anagrams is just ... nope. They are okay if they are part of a class situation and a person knows that the anagram is related to the material in the lesson.

Next up are:

Spot the Difference / Slitherlink / Word Search

(Spot the difference, word search, last slitherlink.)

The reason I'd pick spot the difference first is that it seems to be easy. However, if they are to hard I'd pick that second.

The word search would go second because they still seem easy, but I prefer the ones that have the word list with them.

Third I'd picked slitherlink, because I have no idea what they are and for that reason it seems harder than the other two.

Next: Word Search/Maze/Crossword

I used to do the crossword in my university's newspaper every day. I really liked the ones that had a theme where I had to figure out how the longest words/phrases connected. Completing a crossword is very satisfying.

I'll put word search next. I think I've done a bit too many on HOL and they are lower on my list now. But I still enjoy word searches once in a while.

That means maze is last again. It's not that I don't like them... I think I usually prefer word puzzles.

How would you rank:
Fillomino / Numberlink / Hashi