Prof. Amy Lupin

Revelio

5 posts in this topic

We’ll be playing Revelio this coming month! Based on the boardgames 30 Seconds and Pictionary, this activity will have you guessing what something is based on a description or drawing.

Once sign ups have closed, everyone will be divided into groups, although this depends on the number of people participating. Each week, several rounds will be taking place simultaneously within each group. There would be one round per team member, and in this way, each person has an opportunity to both describe a set of items and guess them too.

For example, if Cody, Scarlet and myself were all in the same group together, three rounds would be taking place each week. During the first week, Round 1 would see Cody as the person who describes/draws the items on the list she is given and Scarlet and me as the guessers/identifiers. Similarly, Round 2 would see Scarlet as the person who describes/draws the items on the list she is given and Cody and me as the guessers. A similar thing would happen with Round 3. All 3 rounds would happen simultaneously, although each round would be taking place in a separate thread. The round ends when all the items on the list have been guessed or when the week ends. A new set of rounds would start the following week.

Each week, you will be given a new card with 5 names/words relating to the wizarding world, such as people, magical objects, wizarding sports, places and so on. You’ll then choose one item on the list to describe briefly to your fellow teammates what it is. They would then have an opportunity to guess what it is. If they guess correctly, you’ll move onto another item on the card. If they guess incorrectly, you would give another brief description of the item. Alternatively, you can choose to draw the item - the choice is yours.

To give an example of how it might work, one person could perhaps get James Potter as one of the items on their cards. A quick, easy clue might be “Harry’s father”. However, if one didn’t want to give it away immediately, they could break it up into individual names or words. The first clue could be “A person who works with clay”, which might bring to mind “Potter”. A person’s first guess is likely to be “Harry Potter”, which would be incorrect. A second clue could then be provided, such as “Is an animagus”, which would narrow it down quite considerably.

There are some rules to bear in mind:

For written descriptions:
  • Clues can’t contain the actual names/words listed on the cards
  • Letters of the alphabet can’t be used eg. “Starts with J” wouldn’t be allowed
  • Similarly, “sounds like” or “rhymes with” or “number of syllables” clues wouldn’t be allowed
  • Only up to 5 words can be used to describe an item, and the clue should read like a phrase, not a random string of words
For drawings:
  • Drawings can be done by hand or digitally
  • All drawings should be uploaded to an image-hosting site
  • No letters or words should be included in the drawings
  • Although not a rule as such, try to have at least 2 stages to a picture/drawing, just to make the guessing more interesting
General:
  • Only one item should be drawn/described at a time. Only once it has been guessed, can the describer/drawer move onto the next item.
  • Only one clue should be provided at a time.
  • After a clue has been given, only one guess can be made per person. If deemed incorrect and an additional clue has been given, then each person can make another guess. This is to prevent spamming.
  • Descriptions and drawings can’t be mixed. You’ll have to choose upfront whether you’ll be drawing an item or whether you’ll be describing it.
  • If, after providing 4 clues, your team is still having difficulty guessing the item, you can choose to move onto the next item on the list
Lastly, you can earn scales for participating! Up to 20 scales can be earned per week: 10 scales for acting as the drawer/describer (at least 2 items need to be drawn/described) and then another 10 for acting as a guesser in any of the other rounds. If you participate in all 3 weeks, you'll get a bonus 10 scales, for a possible total of 70 scales.

Timeline:

27 January - 5 February: Sign-ups
6 - 12 February: First set of rounds
13 - 26 February: Second set of rounds
27 February - 5 March: Third set of rounds

Something personal has come up, so there's a chance that the start of the activity will be delayed by a day or so. If this is the case, I'll be extending the activity at the end to make up for it.

All cards have been sent out and all rounds have been set up for Week 1. If I missed anyone, please let me know!

I decided not to go with groups this time round, however I will be introducing an additional rule:

Everyone can only have a maximum of 3 active guesses at any point in time. So, for example, if five people have a clue posted, you can only reply to three of them. Once youve received a response for one of them, you can then post another guess either in that same thread or a different one. This is to help allow everyone more of an opportunity to participate.

A new week brings with it a new set of cards and rounds. As before, if I missed anyone, please let me know!

If you have any items left over from last week, you're still welcome to finish off your previous rounds.

Revelio has been extended by a week!

Round 2 will now last until 26 February, and Round 3 will start the following day. A further change is that you'll be able to get 4 cards for this round instead of the 3 originally stipulated. There's a chance I might increase this further to 5 cards, but I'll be playing it by ear.