The Slytherin Dungeons
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis

Hermione's Secret - Task 2

In this chapter, we discover Hermione’s secret - she has been using a Time-Turner to attend all her lessons this year. Here is additional information about Time-Turners for your reading pleasure.

Go back through the book and find a quote/passage that provides evidence of Hermione’s time travel activity. Did you notice them all the first time you read Prisoner of Azkaban? Please limit yourself to posting only one instance.

10 scales if posted before Sunday 22nd January, 23:59 HOL time.

5 scales if posted after that but before Tuesday 31st January, 23:59 HOL time.

At one point in Chapter 13, Hermione is walking with Harry and Ron to Charms, but when they enter the classroom she is nowhere to be seen and doesn't turn up all lesson. When they come across her in the common room, she's fast asleep with her head on an Arithmancy book and their following conversation is as follows:

"Wh -- what?" said Hermione, waking with a start and staring wildly around. "Is it time to go? W -- which lesson have we got now?"

"Divination, but it's not for another twenty minutes," said Harry. "Hermione, why didn't you come to Charms?"

"What? Oh no!" Hermione squeaked. "I forgot to go to Charms!"

"But how could you forget?" said Harry. "You were with us till we were right outside the classroom!"

This is the first example that I remember reading and wondering ... what is going on here? I had no idea it was a time-turner, though. (There was something earlier than this which I also read but figured ?? special studies??)

page 129 Chapter Seven

Hermione didn't answer. Ron looked around.

"Where is she?"

Harry turned too. They were at the top of the steps now, watching the rest of the class pass them, heading for the Great Hall and lunch.

"She was right behind us," said Ron, frowning.

Malfoy passed them, walking between Crabbe and Goyle. He smirked at Harry and disappeared.

"There she is," said Harry.

Hermione was panting slightly, hurrying up the stairs, one hand clutched her bag, the other seemed to be tucking something down the front of her robes.

"How did you do that?" said Ron.

"What?" said Hermione, joining them.

"One minute you were right behind us, the next moment, you were back at the bottom of the stairs again."

"What?" Hermione looked slightly confused. "Oh -- I had to go back for something. Oh no --"

A seam had split on Hermione's bag. Harry wasn't surprised; he could see that it was crammed with at least a dozen large and heavy books.

"Why are you carrying all those around with you?" Ron asked her.

"You know how many subjects I'm taking," said Hermione breathlessly. "Couldn't hold these for me, could you?"

"But --" Ron was turning over the books she had handed him, looking at the covers. "You haven't got any of these subjects today. It's only Defense Against the Dark Arts this afternoon."

"Oh, yes," said Hermione vaguely, but she packed all the books back into her bag just the same. "I hope there's something good for lunch, I'm starving,"she added and she marched off toward the Great Hall.

"D'you get the feeling Hermione's not telling us something?" Ron asked Harry.

From Chapter Six, Talons and Tea Leaves:

He had touched a nerve. Hermione slammed her Arithmancy book down on the table so hard that bits of meat and carrot flew everywhere. "If being good at Divination means I have to pretend to see death omens in a lump of tea leaves, I'm not sure I'll be studying it much longer! That lesson was absolute rubbish compared with my Arithmancy class!" She snatched up her bag and stalked away. Ron frowned after her. "What's she talking about?" he said to Harry. "She hasn't been to an Arithmancy class yet."

"I mean, you're good Hermione, but no one's that good. How're you supposed to be in three classes at once?"

"Don't be silly," said Hermione shortly. "Of course I won't be in three classes at once."