The Slytherin Dungeons
Maxwell Shadow

The Dementor's Kiss - Task 2

When Lupin is exposed to the moonlight he transforms into a werewolf. This implies that it is the exposure to the light that causes the transformation, rather than the fact that the moon has risen. Why then, when he was a student do you think that Dumbledore felt the need to have him in the shrieking shack? Can you suggest any alternative places Lupin could have gone during the full moon?

10 scales if posted before Sunday 15th January, 23:59 HOL time.
5 scales if posted after that but before Tuesday 31st January, 23:59 HOL time.

Well, now that we know about it, I'm sure the Room of Requirement would have been a good place.

I've heard JKR say the moon wasn't up when they went into the shack and stuff like that. She's not an astronomer by any means so i doubt she would have looked into moon rise times, but surely she had some knowledge of this when she was doing research for Trelawney?

Dumbledore wanted to keep Lupin away from the school for the safety of all the other students and at least control the location of Lupin's transformation. He would be able to contain him there rather than having him transform at a random place or time. It's not possible to avoid moonlight for the entire night. Light can find its way though the tiniest cracks. Somewhere underground might be better than the Shrieking Shack, but light will eventually make its way through layers of dirt too.

I think one reason for the Shrieking Shack is the distance away from Hogwarts. He did make a lot of noise when he was in the midst of changing ... :( Also, if he happened to get loose, being in or around the castle - near to it - might have been not very good planning.

From what I've heard and read, werewolves change at full moon, whether or not they are actually in moonlight, but that the light of the moon mandates the change 'now'. (There are different renditions of 'werewolf' though, so all of that is speculation ...)

I think Dumbledore probably wanted Lupin in the Shrieking Shack to avoid not only the endangerment of others students, but possibly also to keep his werewolf identity secret considering the intense stigma against werewolves in wizarding society. Not having anywhere for him to go to transform would be hazardous, and if students knew, their parents were likely to threaten to pull them out of Hogwarts.

As to where else he should go, I really do think the Shrieking Shack was a good option. It's off the grounds of Hogwarts, both keeping students safe and ensuring that the alarming noises the people of Hogsmeade heard emanating from there weren't traced back to Lupin. However, I am somewhat surprised it managed to contain him, considering his affinity for biting the furniture in there and generally causing a great ruckus. Additionally, all one had to do was follow Lupin down the pathway at the base of the Whomping Willow to potentially face death so maybe they should have been a little more secretive about it or perhaps had an entrance that couldn't be cracked simply by watching someone else do it.

I don't have a set location in mind, but I think perhaps a room barricaded by password or something similar, definitely unable to be alohomora-ed, with more sturdy walls, and maybe a silencing charm thrown in for good measure?

I'm sure there would have been some place in the castle similar to the chamber of secrets that would have been perfect for Lupin's transformations (with silencing charm and heavy protections of course), deep enough to keep out all light and keep him away from prying eyes. It's just that we don't know of its existance yet (which would explain why it wasn't used for Lupin).

The problem I have with the shrieking shack is that though it's away from the castle and village to some extent, it must have had some pretty fantastic enchantments on it to stop him getting out. Like Aurelia, I'm just suprised it managed to keep him inside.