The Slytherin Dungeons
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis

Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs - Task 2

How do you think the events of this year would have played out differently if Lupin did tell Dumbledore that Sirius Black was an unregistered Animagus? Would Black be caught with that additional piece of information? Would the dementors still have to be at Hogwarts? Post your speculations below to earn your scales.

10 scales if posted before Sunday 1st January, 23:59 HOL time.

5 scales if posted after that but before Tuesday 31st January, 23:59 HOL time.

I can't imagine that Dumbledore doesn't already know, as he knew about Lily (as shown when he sees Snape's patronus). But i'm sure it would help if Lupin could give him more specifics, like exactly what he looks like and such. I'm sure Dumbledore would have done more investigating into getting Peter and Sirius if he had know a little more

Like Arianna, I don't see how he couldn't have known. One of Dumbledore's greatest strengths was his ability to read people and then execute a plan based on their behavior. Although he gave Tom Riddle a chance, he knew he was a potential sociopath and kept an eye on him while he attended Hogwarts. In a similar vein, allowing a werewolf to attend Hogwarts was a dangerous situation even with precautions, so I'm sure he kept an eye on Remus Lupin as well. The Marauders were naive in thinking Dumbledore was unaware of their actions but rather allowed it to continue because it helped Remus so much through difficult times. In fact, I think the time-turnered encounter in the Shrieking Shack played out exactly as Dumbledore planned!

Edited by Polaris Black

I too think that Dumbledore knew more of what was going on than is implied in the story as it is written. I think he was fully aware that Sirius was an unregistered animagus -- I think he was aware of all the Marauders and kept an eye on them during their years at Hogwarts.

So I don't know what would have been done differently if Lupin talked with Dumbledore about it. Maybe a lot would have been different. Maybe nothing.

I think, though, that Dumbledore didn't know that Scabbers was Peter Pettigrew ... At least I hope he didn't know that.

I think, though, that Dumbledore didn't know that Scabbers was Peter Pettigrew ... At least I hope he didn't know that.

Totally THIS! I really hope that Dumbledore didn't know this piece of information. Imagine, allowing a mass murderer to sleep in one of your student's beds all these years! I imagine that if Lupin had told Dumbledore about Sirius he would have also mentioned James and Peter which might have sparked Dumbledore's massive brain into action when Sirius attacked Ron's bed that night instead of Harry's. It all could have ended much quicker, but then Buckbeak wouldn't have been saved and that would have been too sad :(

I find it hard to believe that Dumbledore would know about Sirius Black being an Animagus, but not Peter Pettigrew. Since James and Lily were in the Order of the Phoenix, Dumbledore has probably seen their Patronuses, which is why he made the connection between Snape and Lily. Dumbledore does appear to know everything, but I don't think anyone can know everything. He might have been preoccupied with Tom Riddle and his antics at the time the Marauders were at Hogwarts.

The additional information that Sirius Black is an unregistered dog Animagus would've made it more difficult for him to get around. I'm not sure if the authorities would have any more luck tracking him down. Sirius is very resourceful (He does come from a family of Slytherins!) and Crookshanks was able to help him out a lot. I'd like to think that Snape would be less suspicious of Lupin, but I also know some grudges are impossible to break.

I also agree that it's highly unlikely that Dumbledore wasn't already aware Sirius was an unregistered Animagi, but I figure if Lupin told him, many things would have been figured out sooner, and his ability to ensure Buckbeak's survival would be restricted, like Max said. However, it also depends upon whether or not Dumbledore went public with this knowledge or kept it solely knowledge among the Hogwarts faculty, and whether or not he would do that would hinge upon how much he actually knows. Like many, I'd like to sincerely hope that he hasn't sat with the knowledge that a mass murderer and supporter of Voldemort was sleeping within the castle every night for two years (even more considering that Ron inherited Scabbers from Percy). But if he was unaware of the true nature of the crime that took place on that Muggle street, as events occurred, he would probably clear Sirius's name, but be unable to save Buckbeak.