The Slytherin Dungeons
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis

Gryffindor Versus Ravenclaw - Task 1

Rather than try to outfly Harry on his new Firebolt, Cho Chang decided to tail Harry when Ravenclaw played Gryffindor. What would you have done in her position? Alternatively, how would you react to another Seeker following you during a Quidditch match?

10 scales if posted before Sunday 27th November, 23:59 HOL time.

5 scales if posted after that but before Wednesday 30th November, 23:59 HOL time.

I wouldn't try to follow Harry Potter when he's on his new broomstick! What good would that do me? He'd see the snitch and fly to it, and catch it. I never quite understood what Cho's tactics were -- except, for her, they almost worked?

Me ... I'd just fly about and attempt to spot the snitch and fly up casually to it, while pretending to be looking elsewhere and then catch it quick.

If another Seeker tried to follow me in a Quidditch match, I'd probably fall off my broom laughing. Or maybe wonder if they had sustained an extensive brain damage. ...

The question is, WHO is the seeker following me? Hmmm. Depending on who it is, I have some new things from Weasley's Wizard Wheezes which haven't been made illegal yet. And haven't been put into the rules of Quidditch as being illegal to use -- so I could try them out on Draco. If it is Cedric (okay, I'm pretending that he's still alive, yes?)(and not a sparkly vampire either) hmmm. I'd wonder about it and then figure that he's not following me but that I'm (unknowingly) on the track of the snitch and somehow he has seen it and only appears to be following me. I think it is just depending on who it is? If Cho ... I'd just ignore her and hope she doesn't crash into me. Harry? I'd probably try out the Weasley's Wizard Wheezes thing on him too, but not the same thing as what I would try with Draco.

I also think that Cho's decision was not a good one. Riding in someone's dust is not helpful. I would just hover around searching myself and hope i spot it before.

I guess i would be flattered if someone followed me, but i would definitely do some dives or fake-outs to confuse them

Though I understood Cho's decision when I read the book, an ounce of thought makes it clear that it was always going to be a bad one. There's no way she would have been able to beat Harry to the snitch if he'd seen it first and she would have been much better searching for it herself. I do think that she was clever in the way she managed to block Harry from getting to the snitch on the occasions he did see it. If she had just been able to rely on her chasers to be better and score more goals this might have worked for her, though Harry was always going to be too clever to catch the snitch when his team were that far behind.

If I was a seeker I'd question the sanity of the Quidditch captain who thought that was a good idea, then I'd laugh at the person following me, hopefully putting them off enough to give me time to pull off a miracle and get the snitch for myself.

Following the other Seeker is a bona fide strategy in HOL snitch play. It can work if you catch up with the other Seeker before any clues are found. But even if just one clue is found before you catch up, it will be your downfall!

I agree with Cho. Left to her own devices, she would be outflown and never be the first to glimpse the Snitch; However, by tailing Harry, Cho would always be close. And there were always extenuating circumstances where Harry was concerned so she might just luck out!

Follow me at your own peril!

Edited by Polaris Black

While I can't say that stalking the other Seeker is my favorite strategy, I think it was a good option for Cho to make sure she was always close to Harry. Her broom could never match the speed of a brand new Firebolt. Additionally, it makes it harder for the Beaters trying to take out the opposing Seeker if their own Seeker is so close. There is also the psychological factor. Even when I know that the other Seeker is just going to follow me the entire match, it makes me a little paranoid at times and second guess my decisions.