The Slytherin Dungeons
Maxwell Shadow

Prisoner of Azkaban Discussion

Yeah! there was a lot to cram in here; nothing that could really be on its own or in another chapter, but I also don't think there was anything unnecessary in it either. Just little tidbits to enhance characters, or places around hogsmeade. These are the things that make books so much more than movies!

2 scales awarded

~Max

I need to actually read it still, just flicked through for the trivia questions. Could have easily done two weeks for this one :) must get it read tonight!

1 scale awarded

~Max

There were a ton of conversations in The Marauder's Map chapter, so it did feel much longer. I liked Lupin and Harry's interaction. Fred and George scenes are always amusing and a great way to introduce the Marauder's Map! It was nice to see Hogsmeade from Harry's perspective, even with the bombshell he heard at The Three Broomsticks.

In this chapter, it was nice to see the photograph book from Harry's first year make a return. It's awfully convenient that there are no pictures of Lupin though. The Pocket Sneakoscope from Harry's birthday also made an appearance. I never realized that there was a student named Derek (Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw?). She must've had to add those characters to make the total 13 and lead to Professor Trelawney's slight freak out.

2 scales awarded

~Max

I never read this book (I listened to it) and never caught the fact that the labeled characters on the Marauder's Map were not always dots but sometimes were figures. I never realized the map could give clues (e.g., tap the statue) and passwords (e.g., Dissendium). It was probably snowing at that point and I must have been really concentrating on the road! :lol:

2 scales awarded

~Max

Edited by Maxwell Shadow

I never read this book (I listened to it) and never caught the fact that the labeled characters on the Marauder's Map were not always dots but sometimes were figures. I never realized the map could give clues (e.g., tap the statue) and passwords (e.g., Dissendium). It was probably snowing at that point and I must have been really concentrating on the road! :lol:

It was definitely cool to hear that little tidbit. In my head, I always pictured hundreds of little dots everywhere and I always wondered how they could be labelled with so many students, faculty and staff at the school. What about the creatures? Like the house elves?

I imagine there is some sort of filtering process for the map to not show everyone?

2 scales awarded

~Max

I always felt bad for Hermione. I mean, I too was furious with her for telling about the Firebolt, but I fully understand her concerns. She seems to be the only student who cares for Harry's well-being, and that's on top of being overworked!

2 scales awarded

~Max

Making both Harry and Ron upset at her at the same time certainly didn't help matters. It must've been really hard for Hermione, since she was already so isolated from everyone because of her heavy workload. I understand wanting to learn everything, but choosing to take ALL the new classes is crazy. I'm glad she had Crookshanks to keep her company even when she was buried with school work.

2 scales awarded

~Max

I understand with Hermione being overworked, since I'm over worked. In fact I slept all day, because I was so tired, which is something I usually don't do. Now I need to clean my room and write a essay for MOM class. Anyone know anything about Alexander Hamilton?

2 scales awarded

~Max

I always felt bad for Hermione. I mean, I too was furious with her for telling about the Firebolt, but I fully understand her concerns. She seems to be the only student who cares for Harry's well-being, and that's on top of being overworked!

It never dawned on me that Sirius might have sent Harry the Firebolt until Hermione brought it up and then I was surprised that both Harry and Ron never considered it a possibility even after it was pointed out. If Voldemort had sent Harry a jinxed Firebolt, it could have been a short series! :lol:

2 scales awarded

~Max

I just have to say (with one minute left before we move to the next chapter) that I just love Lee Jordan and McGonagall's Quidditch commentary interactions in this chapter. My favourite bit has to be:

“THIRTY-ZERO! TAKE THAT, YOU DIRTY, CHEATING —”
“Jordan, if you can’t commentate in an unbiased way —”
“I’m telling it like it is, Professor!”

2 scales awarded

~Max

I understand Jordan in a way. I can never be unbiased when Slytherin is playing quidditch. Slytherin is so much my house that I even bleed green. LOL

2 scales awarded

~Max

I always thought it was weird that Lee Jordan was the only one to announce matches; they should have taken turns so that whoever is announcing isn't part of one of the houses playing. If a Slytherin announcer had been there, how many of Gryffindor's dirty plays would be called out?

2 scales awarded

~Max

I've thought about this before and would love to have some of the stories told from the perspective of one of the other characters. Harry's great but he's not the most reliable storyteller and his personal prejudices definitely affect the tale we hear.

2 scales awarded

~Max

Now that we've reached the end of chapter 19, one thing that bothered me was how Black and Lupin were willing to murder in front of three 13-14 year olds. I understand that Black has been plotting this revenge for 12 years, but I thought maybe Lupin would suggest that the trio should step outside. Though Lupin was also caught up in the moment after finally finding out the truth about James and Lily's betrayal and the night of a full moon might not be great for the rational side of him. The trio's 5th year might've been slightly different if Ron and Hermione had witnessed a death!

2 scales awarded

~Max

The trio's 5th year might've been slightly different if Ron and Hermione had witnessed a death!

Yes! That's a really good point! They would have all seen the thestrals at the beginning of their forth year instead of just Harry in his fifth. I'd never thought about that before.

One thing that bothered me, and that re-reading this chapter has made me question again, is how exactly did Pettigrew come to be a pet to the Weasley family in the first place. In this chapter, Sirius says "Why else did you find a wizard family to take you in?" So did Peter just turn up at the Burrow as a rat and Percy think "wow, that rat would make a good pet"? Or did Arthur find the rat in the workshop and think "this'll do as a pet for my son"? Just seems a bit odd to me.

2 scales awarded

~Max

One thing that bothered me, and that re-reading this chapter has made me question again, is how exactly did Pettigrew come to be a pet to the Weasley family in the first place. In this chapter, Sirius says "Why else did you find a wizard family to take you in?" So did Peter just turn up at the Burrow as a rat and Percy think "wow, that rat would make a good pet"? Or did Arthur find the rat in the workshop and think "this'll do as a pet for my son"? Just seems a bit odd to me.

I've actually read a few fan theories about this:

-The original scabbers was bought from the Menagerie, being cheaper than an owl or cat, and Peter secretly replaced him, knowing that being with the Weasleys would be good as they are a wizarding family but also friends of Dumbledore's so they would be among the first to hear of Voldemort's return

-Peter wandered around Hogsmeade or Hogwarts as a rat and Percy found him and took him home as a free pet (more likely than the Menagerie selling him because they seemed to sell more magical rats, and not "garden" or "common" rats

-Charlie actually found him (and because of his love of animals) felt bad for a rat with a missing toe and gave him to Percy as a (birthday/christmas/start of Hogwarts) present

There isn't a lot of proof for any of them, and JKR still hasn't commented on it. But maybe in the future she will?

Connect to that, one of my favorite fan theories answers the question "Why did the Weasley twins never noticed a murdered man on the all-seeing map of Hogwarts?"

A fan's answer? The map only shows the name of Animagi when its user knows about the Animagi

Their proof:

i) Firstly, nobody except Professor Lupin can see Pettigrew and Sirius on the map in Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban (before you say, yes, we’re strictly talking about the books, not the film). Why? Because he’s seen the pair transform into their animals many times before.
ii) Snape travels to the shrieking shack at the end of book three because he sees Lupin and Sirius on the map – both were in human form at the time. Snapey doesn’t see Pettigrew because Pettigrew was still Scabbers.
iii) Rita ‘Queen of Quills’ Skeeter. In The Goblet of Fire, the Gossip Correspondent for the Daily Prophet/beetle animagus is never spotted on the map by Harry. Why? Potter didn’t know about her animal-changing ability.
I know you're asking, but why would the Marauder’s Map be designed like that?
Here's where the theory picks up more steam that the Hogwarts Express. You see, the creators of the map were all Animagi. And they all wanted to keep that top secret, even on the Marauder’s Map. In fact, they would keep it secret at all costs.
Think about it: Lupin wouldn’t even let slip to Dumbledore that Sirius was an Animagus when he thought Black was trying to kill Harry. That’s how much the creators wanted to keep it quiet. And yes, it was a dragon dung move by all of them, but it completely explains the mystery of the Marauder’s Map.

Obviously none of it has been confirmed by JKR, and the movies weren't really helpful with it either, but maybe some day we'll learn more!

2 scales awarded

~Max

Interesting theories. The Marauder's Map one in particular makes sense and explains why the twins never questioned why Ron shared his bed with a man all those years! Thanks for sharing :)

1 scale awarded

~Max

I can't believe we've finished it! I know we've been reading since September but it feels like it's gone by in a flash. I still really love this book and although it was overtaken as my favourite by Half Blood Prince it holds a special place in my heart.

It does always amaze me though in each re-read how little book time is given to the time travel at the end. I remember it as being a massive thing then it only gets one chapter just before the book finishes.

2 scales awarded

~Max