Maxwell Shadow

Prisoner of Azkaban Discussion

Feel free to post any thoughts you have here about the chapters we are reading each week. Was there something you'd forgotten about that you just have to share? Is your favourite part/character/moment/quote in this week's chapter? Is there something you just don't like this week? Post it all!

You will get 2 scales for your first post each week and one additional scale for subsequent posts, up to a maximum of 5 scales. Feel free to post as many times as you like though!

The Knightbus, come on this is the best! Also, being alone to wander Diagon Alley must have been a great time for Harry. All of that alone time among magic must have seemed like a dream to him.

2 Scales awarded

~Max

Hold your horses, we've not got there yet (thought both those things are awesome!)

I love how in both these chapters there are bits dropped in which are so important later in the book. The photo of the Weasley family in the Prophet and Sirius Black mentioned on the muggle news, for example.

Also when JK Rowling decided Harry was going to lose control and blow up his aunt I bet she had a proper giggle to herself.

2 Scales awarded

~Max

oh sheesh, I accidentally listened ahead to chapter three in my audiobook!!

I often wondered where Harry got his sass from if he was so oppressed in the Dursley house. At this point at least he's got friends and a few years school under his belt so when him and Dudley are together and he's making fun of Aunt Petunias nicknames for Duddykins it makes some more sense but originally I would think that Harry would be shy and reserved instead of outgoing like he was portrayed.

1 Scale awarded

~Max

I've known people who have sworn their children had personality traits of their deceased parents,even though the child never met the parent.

I also have the sense that Harry, along with that scar, also had the feeling, deep down inside, that his mother loved him, and that her protective magic from that night was part of him as well.

2 Scales awarded

~Max

I think the world of Hogwarts, the world of magic, is bleeding through into the world of Muggledom for Harry, and he is changing his sense of who and what he is. They tried to Pygmalion him and ... it didn't work.

Before, in book 1, he had no idea whatsoever of anything different. Now he knows that the world is NOT as Vernon and Petunia and Dudley and Aunt Marjorie says it is (although later on we find out that Petunia DOES know and denies it utterly!) so when he sees them he's actually a different person. He's changed. What Scarlet says -- about facing death a few times might change one's perspective -- yeah.

Besides, he was born to parents with magic. Even if those memories are buried, they are there, in his very molecules and energy fields.

edit: ARG, was caught up in the discussion and forgot to say about the first couple of chapters.

Imagine getting a BOOK about Broomcare. Oh yeah, I'd love to get that. I'd probably have it soon memorized ....

2 Scales awarded

~Max

Ops - forgot to mention the chapters as well..

I love how long Harry is able to hold his temper before he finally loses it against Marge. Insulting my deceased parents would have done it for me as well, and that send off was hilarious!

1 Scale awarded

~Max

Loving this discussion already :)

I love how Harry tries to think about his broomstick book while Marge I'd insulting him. A charm to cure reluctant reversers... grasp your broom firmly by the tail... haha

1 Scale awarded

~Max

Yes I definitely understand why Harry has confidence at this point (book three), it just always bothered me that there was confidence/defiance in the very beginning (book one). I don't know why it just always seemed too romantic to me that he would be well adjusted and wouldn't have a bunch of complexes because of the way he was brought up.

Has anyone ever read A Child Named It?

Another thing I like about the Aunt Marge bit was that she fed her dog everything and anything that she or any person around her was eating/drinking, including brandy? tea? what the heck! I don't like it when people feed their dogs table scraps, its so bad for them, then you get little chubby doggies.

1 Scale awarded

~Max

Sure, I've read A Child Called It. The man I was dating at the time was a foster child himself and really wanted to meet the author, and he and I were both working towards degrees in Social Work, so we worked hard and raised money and brought Dave Pelzer to our University for a day of lectures. We got to do lunch with him, and Marty got to spent several hours just talking to him. Very interesting man.

What he experienced was horrible beyond words, and as an adult, you could tell he still carries lots of baggage. And I agree with you - had Harry Potter been a real person and a regular child, I don't think he'd behave like Harry Potter. But book Harry Potter also had his mother's love protection spell within his own blood, and I think it affected him in a positive way. He knew he was loved, and that made all of the difference :) That's my opinion, anyway.

1 Scale awarded

~Max

That really works for me as an explanation. Not only did her sacrifice protect him physically from harm and evil, it also protected his spirit and personality in some way. I've not thought about it too much before but you're right, with the horrible and neglectful childhood there is no way he would be such a well adjusted boy. Maybe Dumbledore suspected as much and that's why he was happy to leave him with them in the first place.

1 Scale awarded

~Max

I really like the use of the word "flump" when the owls arrived.

Me too! Onomatopoeias are my favorite, they're usually a lot of fun to say!!

We know from later books Harry was always being watched, so if things got too bad I'm sure someone would have stepped in with a strange coincidence or something to cool down the Dursleys; and I'm sure they sent them secret warning messages or something too.

I loved at the end of "Owl Post" the idea of laying there, looking at birthday cards, feeling loved, like everyone else. That's something I always took for granted when I was younger; when i ripped through cards to see if there was money or something. Now days I might get a card or two, but usually its just facebook posts or texts which I'm still really glad to have, but its not quite the same effect.

2 Scales awarded

~Max

I loved at the end of "Owl Post" the idea of laying there, looking at birthday cards, feeling loved, like everyone else. That's something I always took for granted when I was younger; when i ripped through cards to see if there was money or something.

I really loved that too. I imagine most us were the same when we were younger; the cards were just something to get to the money (hopefully) inside. Now I love getting cards again for any event. My engagement cards have only just come down (from February/March) and I've got a stash of "special" cards somewhere that I'm always going to keep. I imagine Harry will keep those cards in his trunk forever.

1 Scale awarded

~Max

Bianca,you can talk about the Knight Bus now!

I remember really loving the fact that the bus was bright purple and the stories high, when I first read this chapter. I haven't actually re-read this book in ages and lived the bus all over again. I prefer the book version of this chapter to how it is portrayed in the films. It's much better for everything to jump out of the way of the bus, rather than the bus squeezing to get around the muggle buses.

2 Scales awarded

~Max

This is a bit of Prisoner of Azkaban movie trivia:

To make the Knight Bus appear as if it was zipping through traffic at an extremely high speed, the scenes were filmed with the bus driving at normal speed and the rest of the traffic driving at snails pace. The film was advanced though the camera at a slower rate than it would eventually advance on screen. When the scene was played back at normal speed, the bus appears to be driving super fast.

Like Max, I prefer the book version - it just seems more magical!

2 Scales awarded

~Max

I loved the whole idea of the Knight Bus. A triple-decker, violently purple, bus! That Harry flung out his hand, and the bus became aware of him and just showed up!

Note: How much driving does Ernie Prang actually do, because the bus showed up fast after Harry (unknowingly) gave the signal to be picked up?

I didn't care so much for the movie version of the Prisoner of Azkaban .. not the Knight Bus, not how they did the werewolves, not a lot of it. However, they found such very very good actors for Remus and for Sirius. :give_rose:

2 Scales awarded

~Max

Note: How much driving does Ernie Prang actually do, because the bus showed up fast after Harry (unknowingly) gave the signal to be picked up?

They did mention they weren't far off when Harry flagged them down. I always wondered though, if it might be like Muggle buses where there is more than one bus in the system? and does the bus always drive the same track, or does it only go where the passengers need to go, so it takes different paths all the time?

2 Scales awarded

~Max

You know, I've never even thought the mechanics of the Knight Bus, just took for granted that it popped all over the place magically. I wonder if it has a limit to how far it can go in any one jump otherwise surely it would just go instantly from one passenger's stop to the next and there would be no need to drive it at all. Maybe it is enchanted so it instantly appears where (and when) someone flags it down but then is taken back to the spot it was just in and can only jump so far at a time. After all, they do go back to where they were before Harry had flagged it down and then go to lots of different places before they get to Madam Marsh's stop. For some reason I don't think there's a regular route or more than one bus but I have nothing whatsoever to base that on, it's just a hunch!

ETA: Just had another look at the chapter and Harry says the bus jumps "a hundred miles at a time" but I wonder if that's just him exaggerating, afterall, does he actually know where he is after each jump?

1 Scale awarded

~Max

I can't believe you just made me watch that rubbish again! I like how the beds move back and forth, like they're meant to, but Harry squishing his face on the glass (twice), not giving Stan his false name (trivia time!), no other passengers getting off, Fudge not meeting Harry at the door and that stupid, stupid shrunken head.

Urgh

<3 this chapter even more now!

1 Scale awarded

~Max

I can't believe you just made me watch that rubbish again! I like how the beds move back and forth, like they're meant to, but Harry squishing his face on the glass (twice), not giving Stan his false name (trivia time!), no other passengers getting off, Fudge not meeting Harry at the door and that stupid, stupid shrunken head.

Urgh

<3 this chapter even more now!

UGH! I HATED that shrunken head, why put that in? This was by far my favorite book and there are so many things they needlessly dropped/added in. so dumb.

1 Scale awarded

~Max

UGH! I HATED that shrunken head, why put that in?

Exactly! Was the Knight Bus not exciting enough on its own?! I mean it magically appears out of nowhere and then jumps "about a hundred miles" at a time with trees and houses jumping out of its way since Ernie is a crappy driver!

I've managed to really enjoy most of the films because I try my best to view them as separate from the books, like different interpretations of the same original story, but this bit did irk me somewhat!

1 Scale awarded

~Max

Fudge not meeting Harry at the door

I always forget about that moment; its so short, why not put it in the movie? Did they just not want to pay for the screen time?

I not-so-secretly wish Harry had more time in Diagon Alley before everyone else arrived. I loved hearing about the different people and I wanted him to explore more of the shops!!

2 scales awarded

~Max

I not-so-secretly wish Harry had more time in Diagon Alley before everyone else arrived. I loved hearing about the different people and I wanted him to explore more of the shops!!

This would have been great. It's nice in this chapter that Harry gets to spend some time relaxing away from the Dursleys and away from the drama of Hogwarts. He seems so happy and in his element spending time in the Wizarding World without anything to worry him.

Do you reckon Fortescue is being paid by someone to keep Harry sitting outside his parlour? Like, to keep him safe and so that someone has an eye on him? Otherwise it seems very generous of him to keep giving Harry free ice-creams, even for the Boy Who Lived!

2 scales awarded

~Max