Maxwell Shadow

Aunt Marge's Big Mistake - Task 1

Harry knew that he needed to get his Hogsmeade permission slip signed by the Dursleys and so promises to follow his Uncle's rules while Aunt Marge is visiting. What would you have done differently to get the permission slip signed? Honest or dishonest means are acceptable when you're dealing with muggles such as the Dursleys! Post your ideas in at least 50 words in this thread to get your scales.

10 scales if posted by Sunday 11th September, 23:59 HOL time.

5 scales if posted after that but before Friday 30th September, 23:59 HOL time.

I imagine that the permission slip itself detect false signatures and obvious trickery and that underage wizards cannot perform magic outside of school, I think I would create a false document stating punishment or something, coming from Hogwarts, that I know Uncle Vernon might be interested in signing and then slip the Hogsmeade permission form in the very back. I believe if the first couple of pages were detailed torture methods and such, maybe make it 6 pages including the Hogsmeade page, Uncle Vernon would not read the entire packet. If presented in a sullen and unenthusiastic way, Uncle Vernon may be inclined to sign it blindly? You never know unless you try!

I would appeal to Petunia. Somewhere inside she must care, at least a very tiny little bit. Even if she didn't, she would do anything for Dudley, and I would tell her that this is a form that would ban all students from tricking Dudley for a year (setting myself up to have something signed next year and such). I'm pretty sure she would sign it pretty quickly without reading it.

I'd describe Hogsmeade as a potentially dangerous place where horrible things may happen (which, considering dangerous events seem to happen everywhere, so in a very real way, it's not far from the truth) and that's why a parent or a guardian's signature is needed. Vernon Dursley would sign the slip in no time!

I would probably not bother trying to persuade Uncle Vernon to sign the slip in the first place since he was always going to say no straight away. Instead I would keep quiet about needing a form signed and search (late at night, when everyone else is asleep) through his things to try and find something with Vernon's signature on it. I would use some of Petunia's greaseproof paper to make a copy of that signature then I would spend the rest of the holiday practising his signature on any scrap of paper of parchment I could find. Only when I was perfect would I sign the form myself with Uncle Vernon's signature. This would also be a valuable skill to have for future signature requests.

Really ... what would I do. I would know that Vernon and/or Petunia would just never sign it. Period.

I'd ... I'd go find Fred and George Weasley as soon as possible when I got to Hogwarts and ask them what to do. Yes, I'd do that knowing that Fred and George are more known for disregarding 'rules' which they feel are superfluous than obeying them. That is if I really wanted to go to Hogsmeade that badly (and I probably would). I would go straight to the source of mischief. ... =@

I would prepare another piece of parchment explaining that if a parent or guardian wanted a student to be able to stay at Hogwarts during school vacations, that student needed to have a signed permission slip to leave the school grounds and specifically go to Hogsmeade if the need arose. Since Uncle Vernon wanted to see Harry as little as possible, I would think he couldn't sign the permission slip fast enough!

I would work on Aunt Petunia first by casually mentioning stores that may or may not exist in Hogsmeade and dropping famous brand names in conversation. If she bites, I’d agree to get her something if she signs my permission slip.

If Aunt Petunia refuses, I’d hand a quill to Hedwig. She’s smart enough to scratch out something that’ll look like Uncle Vernon’s signature.

As a Ravenclaw, I generally hate being dishonest to get what I want; I would prefer to use my brain to think of a way to logically trick the Dursley's into getting what I want. Technically, tricking the Dursley's into doing what I want is being 'dishonest', but it's not harmful so there's really no harm in being dishonest sometimes -- that would be the Slytherin in me. When it comes down to it, I would go through Uncle Vernon's things when he wasn't around, probably in the middle of the night, until I found some thick paperwork that he needed to sign for. Taking a hint from the Muggle television show, The Office, I would hide my form near the end of the stack of paperwork - using Muggle crafts to change the appearance of my form so it looked similar to the rest of the papers in the stack. This way, hopefully, Uncle Vernon would get so tired of signing so many papers that towards the end he would just sign anything that he saw needed his signature. Then I would collect the form before he went to work the next morning, and I would be all set.

If that failed, I would appeal to Aunt Petunia. I would entice her by offering to buy sweets and toys for Dudley while buying whatever she might want for herself as well such as possibly something from Gladrags, enticing her further by saying they have name brand shops in both London and Paris.

If that also didn't work (I would think it might, though, as she would do anything for Dudley), then I would just flat out steal something from Uncle Vernon with his signature and copy his signature until I have it down flat. Then I would use one of his pens and forge his signature myself.