Sign in to follow this  
February Fortescue

February's Journal

Spring cleaning time. I'm cleaning my brother's home and moving out, and my home and moving in.

I made a mistake. I told my best friend the Ravenclaws voted me "Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin most likely to be confused for a Ravenclaw" and he said "you ARE a Ravenclaw." I said i was a Slytherin here, and the people I've spoken to here seem convinced I am. He nearly fell out of his chair. He's started calling me "Gilda." I'm not about to explain it, but it's related to Harry Potter so you may be able to figure it out. If you enjoy Myers-Briggs, he's INTP. So was Albert Einstein. Yes - he knows that, too.

I've really enjoyed how Slytherin Stroll went, and I can't wait for our House's next planned activity. I hope Slytherins will love it - I know i will :D

Scales awarded
~Max

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain;
The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
gang aft agley,
An'lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

from To a Mouse, On Turning Her Up In Her Nest With the Plough

- Robert Burns

I've definitely been able to relate to that mouse this week! Here I had my plans to work on my home, with a timeline in mind, and the guy I chose to play the role of carpenter says it will take 8 weekends! Oddly, I'd had several others look it over and state it was a 2 weekend job. I have since found out the guy who quoted 8 weeks plans to use the money to fund his summer vacation. I have hired a different carpenter, and the guy who was to be my carpenter can now work on the minor plumbing work i need done, and that's because he's a friend of the family.

For personal reasons, I decided to not go with the Lhasa Apso. Two days after that decision, I met a lady who has a 4 week old male poodle who is black and white and whose parents are the same size as my previous poodle. He's gorgeous. It's simply meant to be.

I haven't gotten ahead, HOL wise, again, but I'm not behind, either.

The ducks are starting to line up beautifully.....

ClearClutter_zpsbwznd08j.jpg

Scales awarded
~Max

Working hard on my home. This weekend I'll have the electrician, the carpenter, and the plumber. They insist they can all work at the same time.

My puppy was born on March 3rd and I've paid his deposit. He's supposed to grow up to be a toy sized Poodle and I'll be bringing him home April 6th. His parents are toy sized, and I met them when I met him, but you never know. I'll be perfectly happy if his genetics turn him into a miniature. I've named him Sherman.

Sherman at 4 weeks:

sherman%20-%204%20weeks_zpshsvpl1kz.jpg

By now, most people know i really don't like puzzles. Many are a complete mystery to me. But.....while I'm certainly no Shakespeare, I can write an English Sonnet. Heck, I can read Shakespeare. Aloud. And make it sound brilliant.

Scales awarded
~Max

What a month! I've been putting in 16 hour days but it has really been worth it. My home looks amazing!!! Tomorrow I finish unpacking, unpack some more Monday, and welcome my poodle home Tuesday. It's over! YES Going to post before and after photos on a popular social website.

Finally I can return to focusing on HOL. I've really missed it, and am embarrassed at how much I've slacked this month. I thought I'd be way ahead of everything, but I didn't realize the extent to which the ex-renters trashed my home. Doesn't matter. It's over.

Emerald Cup is going to be so much fun!!!

:slytherin:forever

Scales awarded
~Max

I'm all moved in :D And overworked myself in the process. Waiting for the autoimmune brain fog to clear.

Sherman is adorable! My last poodle was such an alpha. Not Sherman - he has a lovely "middle" temperament. Just wish he wasn't so mouthy. He chews on everything. Loves carpet. Carpet!

Scales awarded
~Max

I've sent in my final two Alte Senteniem BINGO stories. I've BINGO'd twice :D I really hope they bring back something similar next year.

bingo2_zps6c9tma7c.jpg

Sherman is a typical poodle. Three months old now. Very active in spurts. He loves to play fetch and anticipate where I'm going to throw the ball. Highly intelligent. I can teach him words, and once he knows the word, I can put it in a sentence, speak it in a conversational tone, and he still knows what I'm saying: "You have to stay. Mommy is going to leave and watch the walking track. I'll be back." He'll start twisting his head from side to side and won't follow me to the door. Then I'll hear him whine.

He's only growled once, and that was at an Akita at the Vet's office. I don't think the dog heard him. He's learned to bark, but so far he doesn't do it very often. Last night I noticed him sniffing the air, which i thought was odd, until I hear the hail. And then BOOM. Big thunderstorm. He wanted to hide under the couch, but I finally convinced him to lay down. He realized i wasn't afraid, so maybe he won't be the next time lightening strikes.

He gets his third booster shot on the 15th, and then he meets his very first doggy groomer on the 22nd. He may be a male, but I'm really tempted to have bows over his tiny little ears. I wonder if they'll stay short, or if his breeder cut them short? Guess I'll find out later. I know his sire had those same short ears.

shermanpuppy_zpsna7sgtnj.jpg

Scales awarded
~Max

I've had a blast so far, and the term isn't even finished yet! Thanks to Professors like Scarlet and Rorey I get to do more of the activities I enjoy doing, like writing, teaching, and Class Assisting. I'm on an SQL team and may even get to play, assuming I haven't worried the captain too much - I'm no Quidditch player.

My puppy is at 4.5 pounds and gets groomed for the first time Wednesday. He's going to feel so much better! He already has that lamb-like crinkly fur. I can't wait to see him groomed.

Scales awarded
~Max

Hard to believe this HOL year has come to an end, and a very satisfying one :D If bad things come in threes, I suppose good things come in twos. Arianna and I are both Prefects, two of my favorite Snakes have returned, two of the people I'm closest to in church have returned from Romania,and today is the birthday of both my best friend and one of my ex-fiances (I only have two of those, so don't judge haha) :D Early next week I have two of one project on HOL to finish up, and two classes to finish up and submit.

Emerald Cup was so much fun and it was great seeing all the participation :D The other three Houses have activities going on this summer and they also look like they'll have lots of great participation. There's also Summer Quidditch - that should be enjoyable, even if I do end up working the snack trolley :D

Sherman has gotten his first fur cut and now weighs almost 5 pounds.

1sh_zpshrqxroij.jpg

I played in my first quidditch match Sunday, and actually had a blast :D I made the board, and I was told that was doing a good job for a person's first game. One person thinks I should start botting like crazy because I'd be a good player.

Can't wait for Colour Burst! That's going to be so much fun!!!

I really miss my Stone Cold partner this week. I've only attempted 1 Nonogram before; still the rules to Tents and Trees are easy enough, but those four puzzles? Dang.....

Sherman seldom barks, which is surprising for a Toy Poodle. He first looks at me to see how I respond. Same with growling, unless it's a huge dog: he growls at those, regardless. Well, last night he barked at the tv and wouldn't stop barking until I changed channels.It was 5 minutes into a horror movie about a haunted mansion, staring Roddy McDowall and Pamela Franklin. Not a clue why Sherman doesn't like it.

My first summer on HOL! Nothing like I thought it would be, so I'm watching how everything plays out.

The Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff Wonderland activity is almost as odd now as the book. The Roost went down for approx. 8 hours, 2 hours before the final deadline was for the final activities, and then came back up. The thread was never closed and no new deadline has been given. I have some theories.....

Quidditch has been a blast and the most fun I've had this summer. Will is an excellent captain. He always sounds like we have a strong chance of winning, and even if we don't, we should relax and have fun. And I have been :3

My puppy's black fur is turning blue :D

Counting the hours until Summer term ends :D Not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy most of it. Arianna was an amazing partner in Wonderland, and I was so lucky to get to team up with her! I have no idea why we haven't done that sooner. Quidditch was a blast. Will is an excellent team Captain and I had so much fun I seriously considered trying out for the team, and perhaps I will, but right now I have too much going on in the real world I still need to focus on.

It felt odd with Scarlet and Max being away - it didn't feel like home. I really missed them. Thank goodness Amy was still here.

To me, the most enjoyable part of the Fall and Spring terms are the classes. I love teaching and grading them :D I don't find that stressful in the least. I'm so excited all three of my classes have been approved, and I've been honored with being Class Assistant for two classes :D I think I've even chosen the 5 classes I'm going to sign up for.

Finally - the Fall term has arrived!

Class wise, I'm taking

Animagus 101

Disney Studies: The Classics

Norse Myths and Legends

Potions for Beginners

Theory of Charms

I'm thrilled to be Rorey Padfoot's Class Assistant for 2 of her classes :D Arianna gets to assist one as well. I doubt she'll be disappointed with either of us.

I'm even getting to teach 3 classes :D So honored I was gifted The Marauders and Monsters in Cinema :D

OWLS are coming up. I wonder what the reactions will be when people discover I wrote two of them? Maybe my two won't be used until next term. I have no idea.

The Class Committee looks really exciting and I think it's an excellent idea!

I'm a Prefect now. Oh my. I'll do my best.

Scales awarded
~Max

Poor Sherman has been neutered today. I was told to not feed him. Finally I could stand his heartbroken looks and his threats to eat the dry wall no longer and called the vet's office. "We ask you not feed him because the anesthesia can make him vomit, but it won't put his life at risk." OH! He ate more than half a bowl of dog food and is currently napping. My wall is safe.

BINGO is back! More stories! So many are much better writers than I am - maybe they'll contribute more as well.

Can't wait to dig in and write columns for SerpenTimes :D I really love House newspapers, and all of the different options!

Three Head Students now, and I think all three are excellent choices :D

Scales awarded
~Max

My health issues have been resolved (YES) after several months of a boring yet relaxing lifestyle. I'm going to ease back in to HOL and take it day by day for this term, at the very least. I am now an ice cream free Fortescue! No sugar, very limited dairy.

I have a second puppy - a Shih tzu / terrier mix named Deacon :D He's so adorable. He keeps Sherman on his toes. When they aren't sleeping. they're playing all day long. He's made my life such a joy.

1dea_zpsnfknke9v.jpg

Scales awarded
~Max