The Slytherin Dungeons

February's Journal

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

October has been an interesting month so far! My brother (who would most likely be a Hufflepuff if he'd consent to attend Hogwarts) recently had foot surgery and is paying the person behind February to be his caretaker well into January, so I've been looking for opportunities to keep my brain from going to mush. Once he's healed and I move back into my house, I want to raise a couple of poodles and hopefully train one to be a therapy dog, so i'll still get to be very active on HOL.

I've been looking around for activities to participate in and have been very fortunate so far. I enjoy writing and HOL offers plenty of opportunities for that :D I think Max and I make a great team and am really glad we're working together on HOL Appreciation. I hate puzzles, she loves puzzles, so what could possibly be better? Max and I started on HOL at the exact same time, but I left in December because a close family member became very ill, and I just returned this August. Next I read in her journal about Bull Johnson's idea about discussing the books, and her thoughts about it, and I messaged her. She said she wasn't opposed to having assistance. I jumped in with both feet. And i do tend to jump in to things alot, but i also know myself really well, I know what I enjoy doing, and what I have time for.

I love HOL <3

Scales awarded
~Max

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming edition of PawPrint! True to form, I was much too wordy. Professor Hailey Potter wanted 500 words. I sent in over 1200, and suggested it be divided into part 1 and part 2. I received so many wonderful responses! One response was over 600 words in and of itself. Excellent reading. I was also really surprised at the number of respondants who believe their birthdate influences their lives, vs. the number who do not. I wasn't expecting that. I could really enjoy being a PawPrint Pollster, along with a Slytherin Columnist. Guess I'm not a 100% Snake. My Luna Lovegood side is showing through.......shhhh......

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot wait until tomorrow, aka November! Not that I have any issues with Halloween. I just really don't like the color orange. In this country, we'll get a little bit more orange and brown for Thanksgiving, but red and green are about to take over :D

Stopped at the pharmacy today, and right across the street the city was having a fortune teller. The pharmacy staff was curious and so was I, so I checked it out. Not too bad. My life and current situation is going to get much worse, but the situation will fully resolve itself by summer. She mentioned 4 people who would make a significant impact, as well as some timelines. We'll see. Come on, Summer!!!!

HOL Life is almost complete. I'm fine with getting less than first place. Always have been. I played for points, and we definitely got those. I also figured Max and I were beatable, even with 380 galleons. She was so easy to have as a team mate! We made a great team :D I never had to worry about a puzzle and never had to worry about her not doing her part. I knew she would, and she did.

All of my homework has been turned in. Tomorrow I'll grade homework and the professor can submit the grades when she's ready :) R R Tests of Logic begins tomorrow. Life is good on HOL :D

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

This month has such a different feel from last month! October was an almost constant focus on HOL Appreciation, and now suddenly I have a list of tasks with more freedom to decide when to do them :D The challenge is to decide the order. The Hermione side of me has added everything to the spreadsheet, along with the due dates, while the Luna side of me knows spontaneity will definitely factor in there somewhere. I'll probably do the Art Projects first so mine will definitely be scored, then focus on scoring the new ones each morning so everyone can have a score (and thus points). Next I'll write up why we should not bring back extinct critters (Ravenclaw House Debate), then start the 2 Bingos, then Drabbles, then Photos. Homeworks for two classes if they've been posted yet. Then it's SerpenTimes Time :D Plus that big project. More puzzles. Maybe more Ravenclaw debates depending on how well I do against the other three debaters. Love to have it all done by Thanksgiving.

OH! And watching my very first HOL Quidditch game. Wondering how long we get to keep our present Seeker. Wondering about other things as well.

Scales awarded
~Max

Missed my first Quidditch game - unexpected guests. Got free homemade spaghetti and excellent conversation, though.

Finally starting to feel at ease about my big project. Student Hermione needs to trust adult Hermione and stop overthinking everything. Besides, I'm having a blast doing the project.

I tied for first place in the Ravenclaw debate! It doesn't hurt that only two of us responded out of four LOL. I had 17 reasons why we should not revive extinct species, and the only challenge was editing. Joey Stark had some excellent reasons to bring them back. I see either 50 or 75 beans in my future. Growing Asphodels are great, but debates are fun, too.

What a crazy week!

My project is going well. I'm happier with it than a bird with a french fry (or a bird with a chip, for those of you speaking the Queen's English).

SerpenTimes is completed and sent in.

Slytherin Quidditch Team won, and I had a blast watching and now i see the appeal.

But

I didn't spot the final Ravenclaw debate thread (NDE?) until Joey posted, so I made a couple of brief points, took full responsibility for not locating it, and accepted my fate like an adult.

One of the variables in the RR logic puzzle was a bit vague and I couldn't solve the puzzle based on my interpretation of it. 6 points are fine. I'll hold off on doing the next puzzle until Wednesday.

One of my professors hasn't posted November's lesson yet. Since he was at the Quittich game yesterday I'm convinced he's still at HOL. Since the class lasts a year I'm not too worried.

Goals for this week:

Finish the project and get it to my 3 wonderful Beta readers.

Finish next month's trivia and some readalong ideas by Wednesday.

Finish and turn in Bingos, Drabbles, and Photos to Alte Senteniem

ETA:

Leonie is taking responsibility for me not knowing about the debate thread because she didn't email us, which she normally does. Very kind of her, but she didn't have to do that. I haven't read Joey's post,(which is the truth) and I responded suggesting he remove it and repost it later.

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

Having a blast on HOL, the Slythmas activities are so much fun, lots of participation, and I love seeing people from other Houses :D Then several of us visit the Sett and join in their activities. My wild guess as to why Slytherin is suddenly in first and why Hufflepuff is ranked very high still seems to be holding up.

I wanted to convince someone's pet to not run away, so I fed her and ended up with that person's catnip ball :( Forgot all about that possibility. Reminds me of the time Daphne challenged people to figure out how to get a catnip ball from her profile, and I did. Also reminds me of the time when Alaia changed a word in the word censor. Biggest laugh I ever had on HOL.

The Hermione part of me says I'm behind on everything (my homework and EC is usually turned in by the first week of the month, for example) but my spreadsheet, complete with due dates, says I'm doing just fine.

My brother is out of his cast and slowly building up muscle strength and will start physical therapy next month. No big plans for the holidays. Looking at Christmas lights and fixing a ham.

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm back on track with homework. The problem was that I'm having too much fun in the Dungeons and in Sett LOL I love how, instead of endlessly coloring pages of Santa and Christmas trees, both Houses are offering us at least one activity teaching us about different traditions. And then we have opportunities to create gifts for others. Count me in!

Another goodie from Pottermore! This one has been declared a Ravenclaw and a Pisces :rofl: Guess it fits......

Muggle brother continues to improve, slowly but surely.

I'm getting better at logic puzzles. Maybe next year I'll grasp *GASP* Sudoku.....

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas was truly special this year. Not only was my muggle brother able to drive, we spent the day with several cousins and their dogs and cats.

Work wise, January is shaping up to be the calmest month on HOL so far.

I almost figured out Nonograms. I completed one but was off by one number. It's a start, right? :D It ended up looking like a blob and I felt sorry for Scarlet having to make sense of it. I also figured out that, if they are colored and you color in the squares, it makes it much easier, because often the colors form an image :D After that, I spent hours on a Sudoku. I guess i did ok on that one :D

Scales awarded
~Max

WOW

First, I get a simply wonderful Av and Sig for Halloween from Riliey Starshine for Secret Elf, and then for Huffie Holidays I requested Fumei Shirokuro for something pleasant because she really knows my taste and I love her graphics and, dream come true, she kindly creates me two amazing ones!! I am going to switch them up :D My only problem is, I don't know which one to use first!

February_santa02_zps84hcji9c.png ]February_santa_zpsvnp8rp64.png

february_santa04_zpsdw085kra.pngfebruary_santa03_zpssozuamaq.png

Scales awarded
~Max

Muggle brother's foot continues to heal. He still has to wear his boot periodically, but only so he doesn't pull a muscle he hasn't used much and fall. He has been released to do nothing except physical therapy and is walking as much as he likes :D

All of my assignments have been turned in, except for one due next Friday, but that one hasn't been posted yet. Maybe I'll message her and say, "If I do _______ will you give me 30 points and we call it even?" It's worth a shot. I have a very real chance at 2000 points this term. ETA - as someone just posted in the class section, we're missing both Assignment 5 AND the midterm. 60 points and not 30.

My project is almost 100% completed.

I've decided to save all of my homework - thank you for the feedback, everyone :D I'm going to archive it in my domain.

Scales awarded

~Max

My pc crashed unexpectedly last night, along with my password to the Roost. I'm on my brother's, and my bestie is going to attempt to fix it tonight. He knows Windows well, but not Win 7. I'm hopeful. Meanwhile, I'm seeing about password recovery.

Assignment and Midterm for Muggle Studies Fandom have been posted. That professor gives the hardest assignments! Assignment 5 is about Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the last question is a 50 word essay, so I'm getting ready for a Buffy marathon to answer it. Let's see....got my Diet Coke and popcorn ready. Feet on the desk. Then, on to the miidterm. 15 word wordsearch, and then an easy looking jigsaw.puzzle (Max has assured me I'll survive it, and I trust her. So far, at least....haha)

And, the night before, I had a what appeared to be a spider bite on my arm, and now it looks like a poisonous circle is spreading around it. Never seen that before. Maybe I should google it and see if it's more important than Buffy.

Scales awarded

~Max

wands_zpstcnwvauf.jpg

I raise my wand in his beautiful memory.

Lumos maxima. Always..

RIP Alan.

ETA

Evanna Lynch in her Facebook write up about Alan Rickman described him as being truly PRESENT and focused on her. That's a rare quality. Most people, even when when talking to you, are thinking about something else, whether it's their next meal, or a previous conversation, or some stressful situation they're under, or how they're going to respond to what you've said. Rickman, instead, was totally focused on her. You don't see that very often. I want to be like that.

Edited by February Fortescue

As usual, it's been a week!

The Ravenclaw activity has been lots of fun. I knew I'd love being on a team with Amy Lupin, but Arlynn Cassidy and Cliodna Levebre have been great teammates as well. The most surprising thing to me is how well rounded our team is. Well, except for one skill. I think Cliodna is well ahead of us all on that one!

So grateful to Darcey Goode and her advice on the main forum for logic puzzle solving. I could almost do a commercial: "Are you a logic puzzle solving weakling? Do the quicker folks kick puzzles in your face? Sign up for the Darcey Goode's Course of Logic Puzzle Resolution and soon you'll be solving puzzles like a pro! Call within the next 10 minutes and receive Maxwell Shadow's Jigsaws Can Be Fun tutorial along with Arianna Stonewater's Complete Any Ten Puzzles in Under Two Hours video. Call today!"

It hurts when someone is upset with you and you've let them down. I know I praise people a lot, but I'm always sincere. I'm also sincere on the unusual occasions when I disagree. Beats being fake and two-faced, right? Does to me.

My muggle brother is bootless and walking :D

Points are rolling in! Slowly but surely......

Scales awarded

~Max

Edited by Maxwell Shadow

I enjoy Astrology, but I don't necessarily take it all that seriously. I have a good friend who does, however. Yesterday, when she phoned and we each complained about our individual stressors over the last couple of weeks, she assured me life was "leaving drama mode" again for everyone, because "Mercury will no longer be in retrograde!" Thought I'd share. I still haven't recovered from the shock of no longer seeing Fumei's name under mine. Silly, I know, but it's amazing how little things sometimes really stand out.

I promised Scarlet when I returned in August that I would do my best to work hard for Slytherin and earn points. As long as I can remember, this House has always been in third place, but it didn't matter, because this is where I wanted to be, and I gave my best, no matter what the outcome was. No one person, or two people, or three, or four, can make a group successful, although people do tend to follow leaders. If the leaders are active and participate, others tend to follow. Slythern has great leadership. Hands down. And students who have been willing to work so hard to earn points and to participate in activities and to simply have fun :D It's a wonderful combination, I think. We've had an amazing term. I love seeing all this activity :D :D

I'm glad I came back to HOL. There have been some changes, site wide, but most have been for the better. I love spending time getting to know people from the other Houses and participating in their activities as well. They're wonderful people, and if they're successful, HOL is successful. Besides, it's fun! I got 2 new avs and sigs from Huffie Holidays. I got to debate the evils of OWLs and NEWTs in Ravenclaw Debate Club.

My muggle brother is walking like a pro. Hopefully this summer I'll be moved out and the proud pet parent of a puppy :)

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really looking forward to this term :D I feel as if i looked into the Mirror of Erised, people saw what i wanted, and gave me everything I asked for! Like the saying goes, "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it." hahahaha Of course, there's also, "If you don't ask for something, you won't get it."

I wanted to earn a massive no. of points, and last term i was the second highest points earner in HOL.

I wanted to earn 5 quills, and should have no problem earning 5 more this term.

I wanted to write a class I loved and teach it, and people actually sign up for it, and that's happened!

I loved being a Class Assistant so much last term, I asked a professor if i could be her Class Assistant this term, and she actually agreed :D

I enjoyed writing for the SerpenTimes so much, I asked if I could do a second column, and it's been approved!

I made a mistake last term, and Prof. Hailey Potter could have gotten angry, but she didn't. I promised myself i would do everything I could to help PawPrint, and I'm having a blast as the PawPrint Polster! This term, I'm running a new activity for PawPrint which i really hope catches on :D

Despite having to put up with me all last term, Max hasn't kicked me out of Read Along, and I still get to do the Trivia and help with the activities :D

Plus, I applied for Promising Student, and am still shocked - and absolutely thrilled - that i was chosen :D

I hope I never let Slytherin down.

Fun trivia: Luna Lovegood and I were born 1 day apart (ignore the years).

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

My muggle brother is totally back to normal! Well, whatever "normal" is, anyway. What we can all be if we'd like to be just like everyone else, I suppose.

This morning he called in to make his regular monthly payment on a bill, and he put the phone on speakerphone.:

My brother: "That's kind of expensive. Could you break it down into 4 easy payments?"

Shocked voice on the other end: "But, sir, your bill is only $7.99!!" (about 5.70 in British Pounds)

My brother: *sighs* "I suppose I'll go ahead and pay it."

I love History of Hogwarts: The Castle! The opinion questions are my idea of sheer fun. I would take 1000 of those over writing, graphics, and puzzles. Phantom keeps coming up with questions i never thought about before, and I suspect my answers don't always match everyone else's.

I have new schemes for the Read Along Trivia next month :D Thank you for allowing me to assist you, Max. You're the bestest!

Scales awarded
~Max

Tra la! It's March! The lucky month of March! (sort of how that song begins, and I doubt Lerner will ever find out I changed it)

According to my spreadsheet, last month's tasks are caught up. More lessons have been learned and filed.

Focus for this month: chillaxing. Stop being so hard on myself. So far, skill wise, none of it is all that difficult. Except puzzles.

Scales awarded
~Max

Got to love March weather! Yesterday we got 4 inches of wet snow, and then POOF! out went the electricity for 8 hours. No worries - in 3 days, it will be 60 degrees, and the following day, in the 70's! Perfect weather to get my home cleaned up so I can move back in in a couple of months.

Looking forward to the upcoming Book club and the Globe activites :D Wonder if i can have everything due for March turned in by the 15th? Hmmmm.... It was interesting watching so many people fight to get everything finished in January. In June, my only focus will be grading homework. I won't have any of my own left to complete, if i can help it.

Enjoyed Arianna's HOLLERS activity, and I heard her most recent puzzle wasn't extremely difficult, so i may attempt it. I'm currently working on some from Hufflepuff. Those are usually really unique in some way, and I enjoy trying anything novel.

• 3 weeks later...

During last night's trip to the hospital I met a lady teaching someone songs in Cherokee. As we were leaving, I stopped her and we talked for over 40 minutes. I haven't been this excited since I met someone who spoke Irish. Cherokee is very phonetic. Who knew?

Speaking of Native Americans, Pottermore's "History of Magic in North America" was really interesting. How cool that she discusses magic within Indian tribes :)

A little disappointed the Read Along hasn't been seeing much activity as of late. Maybe HOL slows down in the spring? Maybe Chamber of Secrets is one of the least favorite books in the series? That's sort of sad. Rowling has several "first mentions" in this book. Examples: both vanishing cabinets, and the first time Fred and George set off fireworks inside of a building.

Looking forward to Globe Blitz :D Can't wait to see what Scarlet and Cody have in store, and I always enjoy working with Amy. Teagan seems to be an excellent teammate.

Scales awarded
~Max

Meet Lola:

1aa_zpshbrimrm1.jpg

Lola is a Lhasa Apso. In June, she will be bred to either a honey colored Lhasa Apso named Chewbacca or a honey colored Lhasa Apso named Cimba. These dogs are show dogs and meet AKC standards. I'm getting a pet and have zero interest in breeding. I also get first pick of Lola's litter :D

The puppies will be born around August and I will be bringing my fur baby home around October :D

I am over the moon with excitement! I grew up with a Lhasa Apso and love the breed and its personality.

Scales awarded
~Max