The Slytherin Dungeons

Scarlet's Journal

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, we're already two weeks into term. It has gone much faster than I would've anticipated. Redecorating the Dungeons did take up quite a bit of time. It looks amazing though, despite the lack of blue. I'm excited about this year. We have many promising first years and great returning students. I'm happy with the classes I have chosen to take and I've even sent in all my September work. Yeah... some habits are hard to break. I can't wait to see the work that students send in for my classes. And I guess this gives me more time to brainstorm things to write for SerpenTimes!

One question that I don't like answering is "Why did you leave Ravenclaw?" I think the better question to ask is "Why did you come to Slytherin?" The only problem with that is... I don't know if I actually have a good enough answer to that... yet.

Scales awarded
~Max

• 4 weeks later...
Time flies when your house is in the lead! Well, I'm sure time flies no matter what, but seeing the hour glass so full of emeralds when I pass through the Entrance Hall is always a nice sight.
Quidditch Olympics are more than halfway over now. I was really happy to see that Cascade was so well received by the Quidditch community. It was so exciting to see multiple people playing it at once. Shuntbumps is one of my favorite games, so I hope to make it to a match this week. I'm a little nervous for Quidditch season. I won't be playing this first half, but there are still quite a few unresolved issues. I hope they work out and it makes Quidditch more fun for everyone.
HOL Life has been so fun so far! It has been interesting starting back at the beginning of the Hogwarts journey. We're enjoying brainstorming for graphic and writing tasks. Cody and I even got to bet on a Quidditch match and won!
<Ace> let's go all in!
<Scarlet> okay!
<Scarlet> flitterblooms!
<Ace> want me to send it in?
<Ace> 18 on flitterblooms?
<Scarlet> yeah!
<Ace> Final Score:
<Ace> Mandrakes: 190
<Ace> Flitterblooms: 240
<Ace> YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
<Scarlet> yaaaaaaaay flitterblooms!!!
Can't wait to see how the rest of the activity goes!

Scales awarded
~Max

• 3 weeks later...
During Halloween practice yesterday, we received our first SQT stars! So shiny! October was so jam-packed with HOL Life and Slyth-o-ween. Even though I will miss both of those, I'm glad November is looking less intense. I'm already checking the puzzles for Rowena Ravenclaw's Tests of Logic, so I don't have to worry about sending them in each week. I'm interested to find out who all the other logical snakes are though. Round 1 of H-O-LL-E-R began too. Trying to put together 25 HOL'ers to earn as many bonus Hoots as possible is a lot trickier than I'd imagined, but it's also quite fun. I should chip away on my November homework and plan out some SerpenTimes articles. And there are new Read-Along tasks for November! Plenty of things to keep me busy.
Well, first things first... all those October assignments won't grade themselves!

Scales awarded
~Max

The November activities are going so well! I love seeing so many people participating in Rowena Ravenclaw's Tests of Logic. It's a great way to see who I might be able to drag into seeking ^_^

We also started writing out tasks for Slythmas yesterday. All-day fellytone hangouts with Cody are almost as productive as in-person brainstorming sessions. I'm really happy with how it's looking so far, but it's still hard to believe that Slythmas is next month!

Scales awarded
~Max

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Happy 2016! A lot of crazy stuff started happening to me around this time ten years ago, so it is amazing to think I've almost made it ten years past that. On Sunday, I got to reconnect with one of my best friends. Because of some miscommunication, we hadn't spoken to each other for about three years. It went surprisingly well. We still have much catching up to do, but what a wonderful way to start a new year!

I sent in my class project for Quidditch Chronicles yesterday. Three classes down! I have two more class projects to complete and then I'm done with all the work for my HOL classes this term. Hopefully, I get to them today or tomorrow. Then, I can focus on my SerpenTimes submissions until final grading time for all of the classes I teach.

And I finally don't have to work on a SQT game day!

I'm excited for this upcoming term. I think adding some new blood to Slytherin staff will be great. It's always fun to get to know and work with different people. I've also been stalking the class applications to see if there are actually five classes I haven't taken yet... I love getting the shiny silver and gold quills at the end of the year!

Scales awarded
~Max

Here's the story behind my newest signature... Made by Cody, by the way ^_^

seeker%20keeper_zpsqm90suml.jpg

I was searching for an image to use for the trading card option for Cody's Quidditch Chronicles extra credit. I really like the name Jean-Pierre Cremieux, so I was looking for Quidditch Keeper graphics. I came across this picture and showed Cody. "This is like us!"

keeper_by_ladymothwing-d4snuvx.png

I ended up NOT making a trading card for Jean-Pierre Cremieux... Instead, I give you...

Ohare_zpsy2gxpptn.png

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, busy month so far! I was given about a day's notice about HOLLERS getting moved. Then spent the next few days re-organizing. I'm pretty happy with the change... Even got to start a shiny spreadsheet to keep track of Hoots! I haven't even had a chance to start on homework for any of my classes yet. Normally, I would've read a lesson or two by now. But I did send in my column for the next issue of SerpenTimes, so I have one less thing to worry about. I asked Tom Foster to assist Chinese Festivals again and he accepted! I may or may not take another assistant for one of my other classes... Still debating...

Looks like February will be a fun-filled month. I ventured into the Sett to take part in some Slumber Party activities. Read-Along is finishing up Book 1 here in the Dungeons. And Quidditch Shenanigans! \o/

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

February has flown by. I've had to work for part of each Saturday and Sunday this month, even when I wasn't scheduled to work, so I'm looking forward to a break from that for the next TWO weekends!

There is a class discussion for Principles of Deep Magic tomorrow and I've sent in homework for all my other classes except for Viking-Style Dragon Training, which has an end-of-term deadline. I added Will Lestrange as my assistant for Word Magic and he's been great so far. I'm definitely on track for submitting points on Friday before I leave for vacation.

Aly sent me Pac-Man salt and pepper shakers! Thanks so much, Aly! That brings my total to 22 sets. My plan is to put a different set of salt and pepper shakers at each table at my wedding reception. How many more will I get before then?

Scales awarded
~Max

• 3 weeks later...

It's a little sad to think that I was in San Antonio with Cody a week ago... already! It was an awesome location for vacation. We had perfect weather and had so much fun exploring downtown San Antonio together.

Slytherin Stroll has many fun tasks! I'm very proud of our Promising Students for putting it together so quickly with very minimal help from existing Slytherin staff. I started on some HOL homework for March, but I have been slightly sidetracked with Globe Blitz planning. I also sent in my Superlatives! This issue of SerpenTimes is looking good... But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for many last minute submissions! Hopefully I'll find some time to complete a couple tasks more for Dark Prince of Potions :snape: before it ends and work on Harry Potter Read-Along later this month.

As long as I don't get called into work next week, I might get to play for SQT! :slytherin:

P.S. February found some HP smileys and Cody added them to the Dungeons! :hedwig:

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the Daylight Saving's Time change in the US being earlier than Britain, I was able to work AND make it to most of the Quidditch match yesterday. Yay SQT!

I finished uploading all the columns after the match and released the newest issue of SerpenTimes! There's still a few minor tweaks to be made, but I needed to get SerpenTimes up and points submitted. (That took waaaayyy too long, by the way, but I'm so happy with the number of contributors!) Now, I can focus on how to organize the Scouting Group forums for Globe Blitz tonight!

I still have most of my March homework to complete... but I did make a graphic for Astrology and Harry Potter when I was on my graphic-making streak for SerpenTimes.

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Killing some time before the first logic puzzle race of Emerald Cup this evening! I'm trying to finish up May HOL homework before I leave for vacation later this month and I just sent in the fourth assignment for Astrology and Harry Potter. I made a graphic for each assignment and now my set is complete!

astro%20hagrid_zpsiuacivsf.png

astro%20hermione_zpsr2wsxpod.png

astro%20luna_zpsk7y05dqs.png

astro%20ron_zpsovkqyp6e.png

Scales awarded
~Max

All Globe Blitz points and awards are now submitted! It's been so much fun and I'm both sad and slightly relieved that Globe Blitz is over. Thank you to everyone who participated! Awesome Slytherin support and yay R2V2!!

Cody and I are going to write an article about our discussions while planning, preparing, and running Globe Blitz for the next issue of SerpenTimes, so be on a lookout for that.

Scales awarded
~Max

• 3 weeks later...

Arianna hosted a logic puzzle race last night! It was a puzzle with a type of clue that I'd never seen before and Cody was distracting me while Cara solved (and then gave him the answer). Well played, Green Team! I'll remember to ignore you for the next logic puzzle race. We still need a Silver Sweep!

I'm very happy with the turnout at logic puzzle races so far. We also have some fun conversations beforehand. Come hang out with us!

Highlights from last night:

* Scarlet sets mode: +o Arianna
<@Arianna> what does that mean?
* Ace sets mode: +o Rorey
<Cara> no
* Ace sets mode: -o Rorey
<@Scarlet> lol
<Cara> cody is so mean
<Cara> "next thing i know you're gonna op rorey and i'm gonna be the only one not op'd"
* Ace was kicked by Arianna (Ace)
<@Scarlet> :D
<@Scarlet> good job
* Ace has joined #slytherin
* ChanServ sets mode: +o Ace
<@Scarlet> wb <3
<@Ace> et tu arianna?
* @Arianna plays with Ace and Nessie, the Loch Ness monster
<@Scarlet> Nessie!
<@Scarlet> is she our new pet?
<@Ace> your irc is odd
<@Arianna> I'm using AdiIRC
<Cara> me too
<@Arianna> Nessie is friends with the Giant Squid, she visits sometimes
<@Scarlet> no wonder she likes Cody
<@WillLiam> i keep on seeing DODGE when driving
<@WillLiam> but i have yet to see a BLUDGER!! car
<@Scarlet> you should start a BLUDGER!! car company
<@Arianna> what kind of cars would it be?
<@Scarlet> black
<@Arianna> big ones like hummers? or tanks like cars from the 80s/90s
<@Scarlet> circle-ish like VW beetles
<@Scarlet> aww I could get a black bug and name it bludger
<Arielle> awww
<@Scarlet> and then top it with my snitch antenna topper
5bd85404e3.png

Scales awarded
~Max

• 2 months later...

Look what I found! *dusts off journal*

And look what I caught! ~o~

<Ace> it looked like felix felicis at some points
<Ace> like there were two bludgers
<Ace> and you walked straight between them
<Ace> i imagined you casually flying
<Ace> coasting through the air
<Ace> as two bludgers whizz past you
Now that SQL is officially over for me, I should start on HOL work, right?

Scales awarded
~Max

• 3 weeks later...

September homework done and sent in! Although I haven't officially set any goals for the year, earning 10 quills is something I've done ever since I became a professor. It's become a habit. Since I haven't done much writing or made a new class for a bit, I might focus on that and brainstorm some article ideas for SerpenTimes. Assuming this weekend isn't too crazy, I'd like to start on grading assignments for my classes. It's funny that when I decide to go back down to teaching 3 classes, I inherit another class ;)

Considering that I married into Slytherin, there are times when I question if I do belong here... But this definitely helps the argument that I am a snake:

f6064f1c23.png

Scales awarded
~Max

• 1 month later...