The Slytherin Dungeons

End of Year (all welcome)

Feel free to add your own story to this thread. You are welcome to interact with Max or just post the story of your own end of term.

Max looked around the empty dormitory with a wry smile. Another year had come and gone and now it was time to go home for the summer. He'd rammed all his belongings somewhat successfully into his trunk and thrown away all the rubbish he's accumulated over the year.

It was time to go home, though Max wasn't quite ready. Every year he got a sinking feeling when this moment came. It wasn't that he didn't want to go home, he was very much looking forward to being fussed over by his mother for the summer and he had Bella's wedding to go to. It was just that every year he became more and more attached to the castle and his dungeon home. He wasn't a sentimental, soppy type at all, it was just that Hogwarts really did feel like home to Max. Here he had the freedom to come and go (mostly) as he pleased. Here he had some power. Here he was (he hoped) respected. He wasn't just a little kid, he was Max Shadow, Prefect.

After a few moments wallowing in the sentiment, Max pulled himself together. His trunk had already been collected by the house elves and was probably on its way to the Hogwarts Express by now so he only had his backpack to carry to the carriages. One last look and he was out the door, wondering if he was the last one to leave the dungeons or if he'd run into someone else on the way out of the school.

Max wandered slowly towards the common room, checking each of the boys' dorms on his way to make sure that they were totally empty. The last of his Prefect duties for the year in the castle, only a little patrolling to do on the train and he'd be back to plain old Max for the summer. He lingered a little when he reached the common room, glancing at the girls dorms and hoping that Rosemarie or Rosalie had already checked they were empty. Whilst it would be amusing to leave a first year in the dungeons for the whole of the holidays, Max didn't think that Professor Marin-Booth would be very impressed.

Out the common room door, up the steps, through the Entrance Hall (Max really might be the last one in the castle) and down to the carriages he went. As promise, Blade had made sure there was a carriage left for Max to take them both to the train. "Cheers mate," he said as he climbed on board, though he wondered why his voice sounded a bit weird. He hoped that Blade hadn't noticed and resigned to be cheerier as the journey progressed.

The carriage set off and Max didn't look back at the castle. Instead he turned to his friend and said "we made it through another year then!" He was pleased to note that his voice sounded normal again. "OWLs next year though," he added with an intentional comedy gulp and trademark cheeky grin."

Blade looked down "Yeah OWLs next year if they don't hold me back. Sadly, I have to take remedial potions and herbology next year." Blade continued to look down and started to think about what his father was going to say. He knew that his father wasn't going to be to happy with him.

Max had to stifle a giggle when Blade mentioned the remedial classes he was being made to take. He didn't want to make his friend feel bad but it had to be a little embarassing to be that poor at anything. Luckily Blade had been looking down at the time so Max had time to arrange his face into a concerned look before continuing.

"Awh, sorry to hear that dude, that's majorly rubbish. Are you sure you can't just really study hard over the summer and catch up? You could come over to mine if you wanted and share some of the notes I made this year." It would be good to see Blade over the holidays, Max thought, even if it was to study.

The carriage set off with a jolt whilst Max waited for his friend's reply.

"Yeah, my father might not mind if its for studying, as long as I work hard on all my homework and of course he probably will want to check it to make sure I am not wasting my time while I'm at your house. Hey would you like to come over to my mansion as well?" Blade picked up his head and smiled.

Max was glad his friend seemed a little happier now; the journey back home would have been a long and boring one if Blade had been quiet and down the whole way. "Sounds great!" he said with genuine enthusiasm. "I'll ask my parents as soon as I get home and send you an owl. I've got Bella's wedding at some point in August but I'm sure Mom will be glad to be rid of me to be honest!"

The carriage rolled for a couple minutes more before it began to slow. Max was always impressed with the way the horseless carriages knew when they'd reached the station and never overshot their mark. Some sort of incantation, he presumed, he'd never really given it much thought apart from when he was being driven to and from the castle.

"I've got to go to the Prefect's carriage for a few minutes when we get on the train but I shouldn't be too long," Max explained to Blade. It was only the second time that Max had been a Prefect on the Hogwart's express, having got his badge unexpectedly last summer. "Save me a seat and I'll get you something from the trolley when it comes round".

The carriage stopped and the two boys got ready to disembark.

The carriage came to a halt. Blade got off the carriage and went to find Max Shadow and himself a compartment by themselves. He hoped the William Lestrange would join them, but who knew if he was going to do that. As he waited to see if his friends would join him Blade took out a school book and started reading. He also made a plan to next year do better in school and prove to Professor Snape and his father that he could pull up his grades and amount to something.

Max watched Blade as he went off to save them a seat, lingering just a little longer than he should in the Horseless carriage. The Hogsmeade train platform was mostly empty by now with just a few student milling around no enjoying some fresh air before the long journey back to London. "Duty calls" Max muttered as the train whistle sounded indicting that the train was ready to go, then in a more authoritative, louder voice added "unless you want to be left behind I suggest you get on the train!" Max was sure it wasn't his job to make sure everyone was actually on the Hogwarts Express but it was one of the last opportunities he'd have to boss people around until September.

The whistle sounded again and Max hopped onto the train, glancing quickly up and down the almost empty platform before heading off to find his fellow Prefects. He hoped that Rosemarie and Rosalie would be there so he didn't have to make small talk with the Prefects from the other houses. He assumed there would be some sort of speech from the head students about how great the year had been and hoped it would be quick so he could go and find his friend again. With a deep sigh he pushed open the Door to the Prefects compartment which was already pretty full.

What felt like hours later Max emerged from the Prefect's carriage. In reality he'd only been in there a few minutes and the head students had said almost nothing but it was dead time - time that Max would never get back. He had, however, got a couple of bits of gossip to share with Blade and rushed down the corridor to try and find his friend. Blade was sitting in one of the furthest compartments along the train and was reading a school book.

"You do realise it's the holidays, don't you?" Max teased his friend, "you don't need to know any of this stuff until September. Put it down and give your brain a rest! Heard some interesting news in the Prefect's carriage just now, loads of Prefects are being demoted so I'm sure they'll be looking for some new blood soon enough. And some of the Professors are retiring or stepping down too. Hogwarts is going to be a bit odd next year". Max knew he probably shouldn't have told Blade this much but was sure his friend could be trusted to keep quiet and not spread the news any further.

Blade looked up from his book and replied to Maxwell "Yeah but I thought if I started my summer homework on the train my father might go a little easier on me on his punishment. After all it can't hurt." Blade then gave a half smile and returned to his book.

By the time they were nearly home he had done a little bit of two projects.

Edited by Bull J. Johnson

Max wouldn't admit it to Blade, but he was a quite annoyed at his friend's lack of interest in his gossip from the Prefect meeting. In fact, Blade was so wrapped up in doing his homework early that it was almost as if he didn't even hear Max say anything at all. Such a promising ride back to London had just turned into complete waste of time. (Max knew he was being melodramatic but he didn't care!)

Max spent most of the rest of the trip sulking and trying to write a story that wasn't full of resentment. He ignored the trolley when it came by even though he was getting hungry and head money burning a hole in his pocket. And all the while Blade worked solidly, seemingly oblivious to the dark mood he had brought Max into. The pair hardly said anything to each other for hours as the train sped towards its final destination.

The story Max was writing had long since descended into a bunch of doodles with spirals and stars covering the page. He really should take Astronomy next year!

"There done almost two assignments" said Blade finally and put his stuff in his bag. "So our stop is almost here. Sorry I was not much company this trip, but I wanted to get some of my work done. Maybe My father will go easier on me if he sees that I am trying to improve. At least it can't hurt to try it." Blade then shrugged and wait for a response.

• 1 month later...

The train pulled into the station and the boys gathered together the rest of their belongings. Max knew it wouldn't be long before they'd be back on this train but he really would miss Hogwarts over the Summer break. He was sure that a trip to Blade's house would break up the monotony and he had some plans afoot in Slytherin that he didn't want to reveal just yet.

His parents were on the platform, as usual, waiting for Max to disembark. He took one last look at the train, flashed a smile to Blade then followed the crouds through the barrier and into the muggle station beyond.