The Slytherin Dungeons

The Hogwarts Express (all welcome)

Timeline

• 1st to 15th September - posts on the platform and train before it leaves.
  • 16th September - train sets off.
  • 16th to 30th September - posts on the train on the way to Hogwarts.

Max looked left and right to check no one was watching and then leant against the apparently solid barrier between platforms 9 and 10. He was used to this process by now but it still felt a little odd to be moving through the wall towards the magically hidden platform 9 3/4. Pulling around the trolley holding his solid oak school chest, Max grinned as he saw the grand, scarlet steam engine of the Hogwarts Express. His mother and father were only a few steps behind him as he moved onto the platform and towards the train.

The clock on the wall said that it was 10:15 am which explained why the platform was relatively empty. Max liked to be early so that he could get his choice of compartment and hopefully convince his parents to leave before the train set off so they wouldn't embarass him. (Max had forgotten that he would be expected to report to the Prefect's compartment at the start of the journey but that wasn't very surprising since he had only received his shiny new badge a couple of weeks ago).

Max glanced up the platform, hoping to see some of his fellow Slytherins but they were either hiding on the the train or hadn't arrived yet. The few students he could see were either kitties or badgers, the Ravenclaws were no doubt doing some last minute homework in one of the train compartments. They'd better get a move on Max thought and he turned to say goodbye to his mum and dad.

BJ had come alone with all his bundles since his father had to be at the office early again. I mean with what been going on down in Hogsmeade lately Blade really didn't see his father much this summer. Blade got on and walked into the last compartment on the left which was always his compartment put his bags into the top rank above his seat and then took a seat reading his school schedule one more time just so he would know his schedule was. Then he sat down and waited for his friend Maxwell Shadow who he hoped didn't forget to spend some time with him while they were on this long ride to school.

PS... My animals Sal (snake) and Ariel (dog) are in the place were they keep the pets and luggage. Blade is sure the school will have them in good hands and does not need to look after them himself.

Will headed to the Platform with an aristocratic swagger, knowing he was prepared for the year ahead. Having been promoted to 'second year' status, he had the feeling that he was doing something right. Once he got to the school there would be moves to make: would he want to switch positions on the Quidditch team? would he want to start dating this year? But that was still somewhere in the future; for now, he recognized his older housemates Max and Blade and headed towards them.

Max said a hurried goodbye to his parents who looked at him suspiciously. He had told them they need not wait for the train to leave but he was sure they would just hang around anyway and he would be forced to wave at them out the window like a baby. Max felt himself rather grown up these days and whilst he had always been happy to be spoilt by his parents before now they seemed to be suffocating him.

Dragging his rather cumbersome trunk, Max made his way onto the train and started down the corridor. He was right about some of the Eagles already sitting in compartments but most of the rest of the train seemed empty. It wasn't until the final compartment that he found company, however, coming across fellow Slytherin fourth year Blade. Max liked Blade and was pleased to see him already on board. At least he would have some excuse now not to return to the platform.

"Alright mate?" Max asked with a grin as he pulled the door open. "Mind if I join you?" He didn't bother to wait for a reply but instead entered the compartment and hoisted his trunk onto the luggage rack before making himself comfortable in the seat by the window. He spotted a younger Slytherin boy from the house Quidditch team out the window and tried to remember his name. Max was awful with names and since the boy was heading their way thought he should probably try his best to remember it before he got on the train and joined them.

Turning back to Blade Max asked cheerily, "have a good summer?"

"No come in Maxwell." Blade was about to stand up and offer Maxwell a seat. When all of a sudden Maxwell just sat. Blade thought this kind or rude, but since Maxwell was his best friend at school he said nothing and just continued sitting there. After a few minutes Blade replied to Maxwell's question. "I had a great summer. Although my father had to work over time, because of the problem at Hogsmeade so I didn't get to see him much this summer." Blade looked sad when he said this. But then he put a smile on his face and said, "At least I have the Minister's Christmas party to look forward too." After this he went slight for a few seconds so as to let this all sink in for Maxwell. "So how was your summer? I heard you made Prefect this year. Congrats."

Edited by Bull J. Johnson
  • 2 weeks later...

"That's too bad," said Max as Blade spoke about his Summer but his mate was smiling at the thought of Christmas so Max was sure he wouldn't be too badly scarred by the experience. "My Summer was great cheers," he was smiling too thinking about the wonderful time he'd had on safari. "We went to Africa and met some really old tribes of Wizards and saw some amazing animals. Then the owl arrived with my badge and mum was beside herself. I think she honestly thought that my big sis was the only one with any ambition! Both my parents have been almost unbearable since though and won't leave me alone." Max knew he was being harsh on them and that it was just because they cared, but he wasn't going to admit that in front of Blade.

Max was just considering heading back onto the platform to see his parents when the train whistle blew. Out the window the few stragglers could be seen panicking to get onto the train before it left and up and down the platform families were wishing the best for the students as they headed off for the new term. Peering out, Max spotted his parents and waved at them, smiling broadly before catching himself and forcing his face back into an expression of indifference. He didn't think Blade had seen his little slip but didn't have too long to worry about it as the whistle went off again and the train began to ease out of the station, slowly at first but picking up speed quickly. Within a few seconds Max could no longer see his parents on the platform and turned his attention back to his friend.

"Well, here we go for another year" Max said jovially. "No turning back now!" He wasn't entirely sure where this odd mood had come from but Max wasn't going to worry about it too much. He was really looking forward to returning to Hogwarts.

Blade thought for a few minutes quietly and then asked Maxwell. "Hey Maxwell you know that my roommate Ariel Kingston graduated last year right. I was thinking it sure would be nice if you joined my room. Since we are almost like brothers." Blade then paused. After a quick pause he continued, "And if you like you can bring another mate along too. If not I'm sure that my new dog Ariel (the dog was named after my roommate) would love the middle bed." Blade then put on a big smile showing all his white teeth and waited for a reply.

Will was sitting on the train with his stomach rumbling. "It's nearly 3 PM," he thought, "and the snack trolley hasn't come out yet. The trolley witch is normally there by 1." In search of Cauldron Cakes, he decided he might as well walk around the train and see where the trolley witch was.

Max was touched when Blade refered to him as a brother as he'd begun to really like the other boy since they started spending more time together. It was nice to finally have a friend at Hogwarts after spending much of his first three years in the castle alone. He hadn't gotten on with his first room mate, the second had moved school part way through the year and the third spent as little time as possible in the boy's dorm. He wasn't overly keen on dogs but wasn't going to let that stop him sharing a room with someone who he could stand to be in a room with for more than 5 minutes.

"Sounds great," Max beamed, "It'll be nice to share a room with someone who isn't a complete idiot for a change. Let the dog have the third bed though. Anything to stop her sleeping on mine!"

Max glanced at his watch, it was a long trip to the castle and he was almost out of conversation starters already. His Prefect badge caught his eye and Max swore loudly, jumping out of his seat.

"Really sorry mate," Max tried to sound calm but was panicing inside, "but I've got to get to the Prefect carriage. Totally forgot I was meant to go there first and get instructions from the Head Boy and Girl. Can't believe I'm going to be late for my first official duties." Shaking his head at his own stupidity, Max headed to the door. "I'll be back later though I'm sure. Look after my stuff" and with that he was out the door and rushing towards the Prefect's carriage.

~~~~~~

Some hours later, Max was patrolling the corridor of the train, pretending he knew what he was doing and trying to show off his shiny badge to as many people as possible. He passed the same Slytherin boy he'd seen on the platform and nodded to him in recognition. He'd just passed the boy when he heard an almighty growl which was either the boy's stomach grumbling or a lion was hiding in a nearby compartment. Grinning slightly Max turned around and said "I'm sure the trolley will be along soon. I think there was a small supply issue but it should be sorted by now."