Sign in to follow this  
Will Lestrange

The Journal of Will Lestrange

31. August 2013

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Will Lestrange and I am about to start my first year at Hogwarts. My father comes from a long line of Dark wizards, all of whom were Sorted into Slytherin. My mum also comes from a long line of Slytherins, although she does not identify as Dark. I was raised as an only child, although I had an older half sister who was killed by her aunt three and a half years before I was born - this should tell you a bit about the type of family I come from. I would have loved to meet her; from what my mum told me she seemed like an intriguing person even if she was not a Slytherin. I also have an older half brother in his early thirties, although we prefer not to talk about him that much.

Tomorrow I will leave on the Hogwarts Express; it will be my first time travelling on a 'train', as the Muggles like to call it. I am confident I will do well, as my parents have coached me well in the traditional Pureblood arts and how to make a proper first impression. My mum, however, has made it clear that no one is to be underestimated based solely on their inability to make a first impression. Even a Muggleborn, as strange as it may seem, may have sufficient potential to be worth knowing!

I will end this here as my parents have called me down to my final dinner before Hogwarts. I smell all of my favourites at the table... the next time I write here I expect to have been Sorted into Slytherin!

Scales awarded

~Max

10. September 2013

My time so far at Hogwarts has been interesting, to say the least. I was in a different compartment from most of the others on the train and didn't meet anyone when I was there. I got Sorted - Slytherin, of course - but somehow managed to lock myself out of the dorms my first night, making a horrible first impression.

Fortunately, my Deputy Head of House, Professor Curare, sensed my distress and woke up fairly early in the morning to let me in. Once I finally got my bearings and settled into my dorm room, I finally was able to properly meet my dorm mates. People had been saying that this would be the best entering class of Slytherins in a long time... and I think they might be right. In any event, it will be a lot harder to be at the top of the year than I expected - and hopefully I won't get a beating from my father when the rank table is published.

Another interesting thing happened: we had our first flying lesson five days into term. I knew I was a decent flier, but never thought I was anything special. However, halfway through the lesson my broom caught a gust of wind and was clocked at 138 miles per hour... but I stayed calm, held on tight, and maintained control before slowing it down to a more reasonable speed. Apparently, though, this display caught the attention of a few of the players of the Slytherin Quidditch Team - and I was invited to join the team as a reserve. Even my father was impressed when he heard that news...

Scales awarded

~Max

24. September 2013

It's been tough finding time to write in this thing; Quidditch practice and classes have been keeping me busy. But I realized I forgot to tell you about which classes I am currently enrolled in.

One of them is an "orientation" class devoted to teaching us how this school works (mostly straightforward but there are differences from what I expect), another one is a Quidditch class (again, straightforward - way easier than the practices - but different than what I expected), one is on puzzles (I was expecting to breeze through that but it is a bit challenging), one is Defence Against the Dark Arts (my lowest grade at the moment even though it's the only subject taught by a Slytherin), and one is a class on languages, which is quickly becoming my favourite. I hear that it is not uncommon for people to fail a few classes and still move on, but I will do what I can to make sure this never happens to me. After all, even if I did advance, Father would be livid if he heard I failed anything: Lestranges never fail.

Scales awarded

~Max

3. October 2013

I have made a grievous tactial error last night. Slytherins, and especially Lestranges, never show weaknesses in public; however, I let the stress of the term get to me. Around 11 in the evening, I was taking a stroll around the Hogwarts grounds near the Quidditch pitch shortly before practice (which, for some reason, is always around midnight). But before practice began, I literally collapsed under pressure and was lying face down in the grass, sound asleep. I was told my captains tried to wake me at the start of practice, but simply let me be in the grass. By the time I woke up, it was 12:08 AM and practice had already ended. Everyone seemed to simply have taken pity on me and just let me rest.

I thought I could handle things on my own, but I think I might need a close confidant or two whom I can trust with my weaknesses and stresses. I definitely can't let Father find out about this; he would send me a nasty Howler at the very least and might very well disown me for behaving unfittingly for a Lestrange! But whom should I turn to? I cannot let them have the advantage over me, after all...

Scales awarded

~Max

Not much has been going on lately here. The House Cup standings are updated each day and although we had been in contention for a while (in fact, we were winning on the first day of term) first place seems to be slipping further and further from reach. I had thought that the awarding of September's class points would tilt things in our favour, but instead third place seems as far away as first place was.

I should say something about September class points. I received a pretty nasty Howler from my parents on the first of October because it looked like I had been awarded zero class points out of a possible 300 for the month of September. What really happened, though, is that the points for my September classes trickled in a few days later, so I was able to reply back with my correct score report. I didn't quite get perfect for the month, but my scores were well above 90 percent... and even better than I had been expecting. Once they saw my real scores, they didn't go as far as to apologize, but I did receive a large package by owl from them full of all of my favourite sweets "for enjoyment and bribery".

Scales awarded

~Max

16. October 2013

October is usually a month of waiting for me; my birthday, after all, isn't for another month. However, on Saturday I woke up to a pleasant surprise: the dungeons were beginning an extended Halloween celebration full of excitement and intrigue! This will definitely make the wait to my twelfth birthday feel much shorter than the wait to my eleventh birthday was - and I can only imagine what is planed on Halloween Day itself.

Scales awarded

~Max

26. October 2013

Halloween draws near, but the dungeons only seem to be getting quieter. I know that when things appear to be too quiet, usually something exciting is going to follow soon. So I'm just sitting... waiting... to see what is about to follow.

Scales awarded

~Max

1. November 2013

Halloween came and went; now is the time to start counting down to my birthday (just ten days to go)! Nothing really exciting has happened in the castle lately, with one small exception: progress reports have come out for the month of October. Unlike last month when it looked like I had a score of zero percent in all of my classes, it seems I was doing much better this month: almost enough to win first place out of the entire house! Knowing how close I was makes me want to strive that much harder for next month...

Scales awarded

~Max

9. November 2013

The Quidditch season is underway! Our first match is in a week, against the defending champion Ravenclaw team. But today, I had the chance to watch the first match of the season, which featured Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff. It was definitely an interesting spectacle - not much different from what I had expected based on the practicing I had been doing over the past few months. However, seeing a match in action does make me more confident about what things will be like when I have my own chance to play.

Also, my birthday is the day after tomorrow; I am looking forward to being twelve.

Scales awarded

~Max

14. November 2013

It was my birthday last Monday! I received awesome presents from my dorm and my family: chocolates, prank items, and other things that I haven't even had the chance to properly look at or play with. It will be a few more days before I can truly enjoy my presents (except for the ones directly related to flying) because my thoughts have been focused towards the first Quidditch match for Slytherin the day after tomorrow. Practicing has become particularly intense this week, and for good reason: we're up against the defending champions and if we do well, Slytherin would be on track to win its first Quidditch Cup in a pretty long time!

Scales awarded

~Max

18. November 2013

The Quidditch match did take place as scheduled and we won! I found out just before game time that I wouldn't be playing the position I had thought I was training for, but all the Quaffle practice allowed me to perform decently as Chaser as well. Everything went just about as well as could be expected and I even managed to get a goal through their Keeper myself. When word got out that our Seeker had caught the Snitch in record time, giving us our first victory over Ravenclaw in more than a decade, the resulting celebration ended up lasting into the night!

Scales awarded

~Max

GO SQT!

1. December 2013

It's hard to believe that we are already three months into term. Even I haven't been able to keep up with everything between the stresses of coursework, Quidditch, and everything else, but I did manage to earn a couple of awards to show off anyway. The Ravenclaws had been hosting an all-campus logic puzzle contest throughout most of term and when it ended two days ago I found myself in first place for it with some nice trophies to show off!

Scales awarded

~Max

18. December 2013

Things have been fairly busy in the Dungeons lately; Slythmas has been underway and I have been thinking about exams so I could claim my first few quills. But, more importantly, Slytherin scored another victory in Quidditch last Saturday and I actually managed to snag the Golden Snitch! My captains think that the team would be best served if I can both Chase and Seek as per whatever the team needs at the moment, so it's a good thing that my first match Seeking was so successful.

Scales awarded

~Max

9. January 2014

I haven't written in here lately because I have been really busy because of school. I was told that at a "normal" school - or even at Hogwarts itself in the nineties - late December and early January would have been vacation time, used for relaxation. However, because the term break here doesn't begin until the second half of January, I have been really busy with schoolwork, projects, and final exams. I just finished my last exam a few days ago; I am confident I passed all of my classes this term. Moreover, our final Quidditch match in this term is in less than three days... so we need to practice to secure a perfect record for Slytherin for the first half of the season!

Scales awarded

~Max

25. January 2014

The term seems to be almost over here; the first half of the Quidditch season is complete (with us in first place) and I have officially passed all five of my classes. Everything seems to be going smoothly here, but I'm anxiously watching for the new students who will begin arriving today. I've heard that a few intriguing people should be joining our ranks, but it looks like I'll just have to wait and see...

Scales awarded

~Max

2. February 2014

It's been another week here and it looks like the new term is about to begin. I did well in all my classes last term, and I found a few new ones for this term. Three of my classes are taught by people from my own house this time, so impressing them is more important than ever. Of course, the hardest class of all seems to be the one taught by my own Head of House... it's essentially an all-essay class which sounds fairly challenging!

Scales awarded

~Max

1. March 2014

I haven't written much in here lately, but I finally managed an accomplishment that had eluded me for so long. After coming in second in my house for each of four months straight... I made it on top of the tables when the month of February came to an end. I feel honored that I have done so well, and the victory was especially sweet because it came based on my performance in classes taught by people from my own house, whom I had particularly wanted to impress...

Scales awarded

~Max

10 May 2014

It has taken me way too long to write in here because so much has been going on here! Slytherin actually managed to win the Quidditch Cup, which was a great feeling... though I'll admit that Quidditch has taken quite a bit of energy out of me (but being on the team that finally beat Ravenclaw was so worth it)! Other than that, classwork has been going fairly smoothly and unremarkably, except for the day or two a while back the dungeons were out of service and we couldn't get in.

Scales awarded
~Max

24 December 2016

Looking back on this journal, it's hard to believe I haven't touched this thing since my first year! A lot has happened to me since then; the best way to describe it is by saying the following adaptation of a Muggle quote (from another "Will", no less:

"Some people are born with power, some people achieve power, and some have power thrust upon them."

Yes, Quidditch has taken a lot of my time: both as a player and as a community leader (it was eighteen months ago that I was tapped to help lead summer quidditch for 2015; becoming an SQT captain was much more recent)... but I've also taken on responsibility in the dungeons as a prefect.

When people aren't shouting my name on the pitch (either as cheers in elation or boos in disappointment) I have schoolwork to keep me occupied; classes are fairly easy this year, but next year is my OWL year and everyone knows these exams will be much harder.

And I plan on throwing a belated 15th birthday party (my birthday was back in November; the plans were to celebrate with a defense of our Quidditch Cup against Ravenclaw the next day) in the dungeons in a few days; you should know the place! ;)

Scales awarded
~Max

3. September 2017

This last year was primarily about Quidditch - I'd be a bit cocky if I said I "reshaped the pitch in my image", but I'm definitely happy with the way the regular season went that year.  I still found the time to do well enough in my classes to advance to fifth year (and represent my house well as a prefect) though!

The summer, though, was a bit of a disappointment:  while I proved I could hold my own against anyone on the pitch, I was unable to establish myself as dominating.  Despite that, Ireland still could pull out the Quidditch World Cup (even if it's beyond my control at this point)!

As for the year up ahead:  I'm about to face something I've dreaded almost since the start of my HOL days - the OWL exams.  My first one is already up, Ancient Runes - and it actually doesn't look bad:  just like a monthly class assignment in the subject with slightly longer essays.  I would be shocked if I don't manage to pass this one comfortably, and I'm expecting an Outstanding for sure (though probably not a Top Paper)!  Meanwhile, a new Quidditch season is on the horizon... and I hope to welcome awesome new people both to the House and to SQT!

That said, as my sixteenth birthday approaches, I need to realize I'm not the "new kid" anymore.  With two prefects slated to graduate this year, I'll have true seniority next year... and realizing that what I say sets a standard means I get to be less free with my Unforgivables ;)